Notices
Honda Civic (2001 - 2005) Coupe / Sedan / Hybrid (Includes Acura EL)

Oil Leak - Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak - Help

Hello…I changed the oil in my ’04 Dx/VP (36,000 miles) yesterday and ran into a little problem. After replacing the oil filter, and refilling the motor with oil, there is a slight leak coming from what seems to be the oil filter. It is not a bad leak (it maybe leaks a 3” puddle over the course of a few hours) I figured it might just be old oil from when I removed the old oil filter, but I do not remember it leaking for this long after the last oil change. This is the second oil change for this car since I’ve owned it (first was a couple months after purchasing, and the second was yesterday). I replaced it with a Mobil 1 oil filter (M1-110 I believe) and Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic. My first oil change with this car was fine, and I’m curious why it is leaking all of a sudden?
I perform these steps each oil change: drain oil, remove oil fill cap, install new washer and replace oil drain plug, remove old oil filter and let drain, wipe area clean around oil filter, check for smoothness around metal where oil filter rests, rub oil on gasket of oil filter and install (not over tighten), fill motor with oil, run for a few seconds-shut off, and check/add oil from there. I know how to change oil, but I’m also not perfect and it’s possible I’ve done something wrong. So after noticing the leak yesterday, I went and bought a new oil filter and changed the oil once more. It seems to still be leaking just not as bad. After sitting overnight (8 hours) there was only a 3” puddle under it.

Any ideas of what the problem could be? I’m hoping that it is just old oil leaking from when I changed the oil filter, but I really don’t remember it leaking for this long.

TIA!
Old 07-13-2007, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why i always take my car to those quick oil change places. I get a 15% discount therefore it only cost's me $5 to let someone else change my oil.

As for your problem, what you did sounds right, if i was you I would just redo the whole process again.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Oil Leak - Help (JimmyM86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JimmyM86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Hello…I changed the oil in my ’04 Dx/VP (36,000 miles) yesterday and ran into a little problem. After replacing the oil filter, and refilling the motor with oil, there is a slight leak coming from what seems to be the oil filter. It is not a bad leak (it maybe leaks a 3” puddle over the course of a few hours) I figured it might just be old oil from when I removed the old oil filter, but I do not remember it leaking for this long after the last oil change. This is the second oil change for this car since I’ve owned it (first was a couple months after purchasing, and the second was yesterday). I replaced it with a Mobil 1 oil filter (M1-110 I believe) and Mobil 1 5w-20 synthetic. My first oil change with this car was fine, and I’m curious why it is leaking all of a sudden?
I perform these steps each oil change: drain oil, remove oil fill cap, install new washer and replace oil drain plug, remove old oil filter and let drain, wipe area clean around oil filter, check for smoothness around metal where oil filter rests, rub oil on gasket of oil filter and install (not over tighten), fill motor with oil, run for a few seconds-shut off, and check/add oil from there. I know how to change oil, but I’m also not perfect and it’s possible I’ve done something wrong. So after noticing the leak yesterday, I went and bought a new oil filter and changed the oil once more. It seems to still be leaking just not as bad. After sitting overnight (8 hours) there was only a 3” puddle under it.

Any ideas of what the problem could be? I’m hoping that it is just old oil leaking from when I changed the oil filter, but I really don’t remember it leaking for this long.

TIA!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you sure the old oil filter gasket is not stuck to engine. I've seen where a new oil filter was installed on top of an old gasket that was stuck and the same thing happened.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Oil Leak - Help (iGGY366)

^^^ yea, check to see if the old oil filter's gasket is stuck onto the engine block where you screw in the filter.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: Oil Leak - Help (da1lydr1ver)

After the first leak I changed the oil again and replaced it with a new filter. I wiped/scrubbed it down very well and felt the metal surface over with my finger and felt for old gasket pieces. I could not see nor feel any left behind. I might go ahead and change it AGAIN this weekend and double check for smooth metal surface. It is just confusing/frustrating b/c I've been changing oil in cars since I was 14 and this is my first leak issue. Oh well

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea i was gona say its probably the little rubber ring gasket between the filter and the block. if its not still stuck on the block and its on the oil filter, then inspect it and make sure nothing is wrong with it. when u buy a new filter..it should already come with a new one attached to the filter.. make sure theres nothing lef ton the hole... finger on a little bit of oil on the new gasket and hand tighten it back on. and are u sure its coming from the oil filter?? a tip i always use it to check for leaks from the top of the engine to the bottom. never start from the bottom-up when looking. get a flashlight and look around for any other places it might be leaking from. it could be coming from the back of ur valve cover or something.