Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Power Door Lock Actuator, Relocking

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Door Lock Actuator, Relocking

Okay, so I've done a lot of searching on the issue of power door lock actuators. They have a lot of problems! (At least on 94-97 Accords). There is the screeching/buzzing problem. A lot of people have fixed this by taking out the driver-side door lock actuator, opening it up, and fixing the rubber bump stops.

I have the, "when you lock the front, driver-side door, all the doors lock and they keep on relocking themselves a few or more times" problem. My question is, is this problem related to the above "screeching noise" problem? Are the rubber bump stops the culprit in this scenario as well?

I am doubting that it is, because: I took my driver-side door lock actuator out today, opened it up, looked at the two rubber bump stops, and they looked perfectly normal. That's why I doubt that the bump stops have anything to do with the "relocking themselves" problem.

Is there something else to the "relocking themselves" problem that I can fix, rather than replacing the whole actuator? Have people fixed this problem by fixing the rubber bump stops? Could it be a different actuator that is causing the problem, or is the front, driver-side one the only possible culprit?

Thanks!
Old 11-03-2007, 10:05 PM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

busted which is why you get the buzzing

need to replace it
Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (TheMuffinMan)

But, I don't get any buzzing or screeching, just the "relocking themselves" symptom. (I said in my first post that some people have the buzzing sound, but I have the relocking thing going on.)
Old 11-04-2007, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Bozok) "Locks "relocking themselves"

Joshua,
I have the exact same "relocking themselves" problem that you are having. Have you found any resolution to your problem? I have a 96 Accord 4-door; I purchased it used last June. The rear passenger's door lock actuator was broke (it made the screeching sound), so I replaced that and no more screeching. I now have the problem that you described, where all the locks recycle when the driver's door is locked. It only happens intermittently, and if I manually unlock the driver's door by pulling up on the lock, the problem goes away. I have taken the driver's front door apart - I removed the power door lock control unit, the actuator and the door key cylinder switch. I bench tested them according to diagnostics in the service manual, lubed everything up, and the recycle problem had gone away until today.

Associated subject - the driver's door will unlock with the key, but when I hold the key in the "unlock" position, the other three doors will also unlock (as they're supposed to), but sometimes they don't. I've tested the driver's door key cylinder switch for continuity, and it passes. The actuator tests ok, so I'm thinking that part of the driver's power door lock control unit is broke, or there's a short in the system.

Steve
96 Accord Sedan