Notices
Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Battery keeps dying!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 Battery keeps dying!

For the past couple of weeks when i return to my car after its been sitting for a while and turn the key the engine will not turn over. I would try a couple times and it would just barely get enough umph and turn over and start. So i used a battery tester and got weak readings and this battery has been in there for almost ten years so i figured it was time to replace it.

Went to walmart 2 days ago and swapped out for a brand new one that worked great for the first day!... and now its doing it again. I know its not the alternator because if i let it run for awhile it will start next time easily, but if i do a very short errand it does it. Also i pulled the negative terminal while the car was running and the stays running perfectly, not even a falter.

Im not really sure what to check at this point, obviously SOMETHING seems to be putting a load on it while the car is off and draining it. What could drain a battery like that? I do have two 12'' subs and an amp, but iv since disconnected them when the old battery was acting weird and it still is disconnected.... Can a bad ground do something like this?
Old 09-09-2011, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Re: Battery keeps dying!

some parasitic draw while the car is off i guess.

testing is pretty easy, just a little bit tedious. it helps to have your wiring diagram handy. you'll also need a multimeter.

set it to look for amperage draw (...if memory serves, it's been a while since i had to do this). with the key off (or out) check amps at each fuse socket making note of the readings on each. there should be a pretty small draw for the ECU memory and the stereo memory. otherwise there should be nothing. try leaving the fuse out on any circuit showing a draw and then reinstalling them a few days later when you try to start the car again. see if that gets any results.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the idea. I guess i'll have to try something like that... and ill need a multimeter ha.

It just strikes me as odd how this suddenly happens.... and the only explanation i can think of is some sort of "parasitic draw," as you stated.

Would a bad ground cause anything like this? Im not too good with electronics/current But thats what all my friends tell me to check but i dont think that would DRAIN a battery. But if it was a ground... it just wouldnt be starting... or would shut off randomly right? (sister's crv did this untill we found the loose ground on valve cover)
Old 09-10-2011, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try reading this for help.

flashoffroad.com/electrical/Batteries/BatteryDrain.html