Honda Accord (1990 - 2002) Includes 1997 - 1999 Acura CL

Axles

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Axles

Ok. This is not a question. This is more of my extreme professional suggestion. First, let me get the axle diagnosis out of the way for anyone that may need a new CV axle and not know it. If you hear a clicking noise when making slow turns, like out of a parking space, when turning left, the right outer joint is bad. If you hear it when turning right, the outer left joint is bad. If you feel a vibration, it is possible that it is the inner joint on either the right or left. But, be aware, that vibrations can be caused by other components such as tire/wheels out of balance. Inner joints give a vibration upon acceleration. Finally, if you see a lot of grease around the wheel well, check the boots, and if they are torn, the boot must be replaced, but personally, it is just better to replace the axle, just because once the boot is torn, the axle is then contaminated and there is a possibility that there is damage done that dramatically will decrease the axle life.

Now, to axles. I got my 95 accord about 2 years ago now. So it is not brand new, but obviously I have not had it as long as other people on here. Well about a year ago I was changing my oil with my dad (he was doing is 03 accord and I was doing mine). Well he rolled under my car and was looking around, and I did not even notice it, but the boot was torn on the right axle. So we went and got a new GSP remanufactured axle from advance auto. Put it in over my uncles. Well about 4 months ago the left axle boot tore. So, I did the same thing, GSP, Advance, and my uncles. Problem was not a few weeks after that, both axles already started clicking. Yes, both. One only being 8 months or so old, and the other "brand new". Well, last night I was heading up to my school apartment (I have school monday through thursday about 2 hours from my house). I had gotten about 1/2 the way up, got on 495-95 interstate, and all of the sudden every 10-15 seconds my wheel jerked really violently and quickly to the right and made a loud pop sound. Pulled over. Talked to my dad. Turned around to try and get back home. Made it all of 10 miles to a Wawa and I could not drive it anymore. It was popping and jerking constantly, making it extremely unsafe to drive. So my dad had to come up and tow me back home. In the middle of the night mind you.

So what is my say on the situation? If you have a axle to replace. Do not go to Advance or Auto Zone, or one of those. The remanfactured units are a terrible excuse for a quality product. They just put new boots on and pump it full of grease, no inspection of the driver or bearings. I called advance auto, and all I was told concerning a refund for a malfunctioned product is that I can get a replacement, which would be a waste of my time to get another failure waiting to happen on my car. I have talked to many other guys with Honda's and they all have said similar things. That all these axles sold by the local auto stores are junk and last no time at all. So today I went ahead and went OEM. $347.47 for both axles shipped.

Now some people may be successful with their axles from these auto stores, and I am happy for you, a lot better than my current situation with my car. But, I am advising everyone who is considering axles or needs them, go OEM, or at least a new axle, not this remanfactured bullsh**!
Old 10-12-2009, 06:10 PM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Axles

Originally Posted by tamadrummer1120
Ok. This is not a question. This is more of my extreme professional suggestion. First, let me get the axle diagnosis out of the way for anyone that may need a new CV axle and not know it. If you hear a clicking noise when making slow turns, like out of a parking space, when turning left, the right outer joint is bad. If you hear it when turning right, the outer left joint is bad. If you feel a vibration, it is possible that it is the inner joint on either the right or left. But, be aware, that vibrations can be caused by other components such as tire/wheels out of balance. Inner joints give a vibration upon acceleration. Finally, if you see a lot of grease around the wheel well, check the boots, and if they are torn, the boot must be replaced, but personally, it is just better to replace the axle, just because once the boot is torn, the axle is then contaminated and there is a possibility that there is damage done that dramatically will decrease the axle life.

Now, to axles. I got my 95 accord about 2 years ago now. So it is not brand new, but obviously I have not had it as long as other people on here. Well about a year ago I was changing my oil with my dad (he was doing is 03 accord and I was doing mine). Well he rolled under my car and was looking around, and I did not even notice it, but the boot was torn on the right axle. So we went and got a new GSP remanufactured axle from advance auto. Put it in over my uncles. Well about 4 months ago the left axle boot tore. So, I did the same thing, GSP, Advance, and my uncles. Problem was not a few weeks after that, both axles already started clicking. Yes, both. One only being 8 months or so old, and the other "brand new". Well, last night I was heading up to my school apartment (I have school monday through thursday about 2 hours from my house). I had gotten about 1/2 the way up, got on 495-95 interstate, and all of the sudden every 10-15 seconds my wheel jerked really violently and quickly to the right and made a loud pop sound. Pulled over. Talked to my dad. Turned around to try and get back home. Made it all of 10 miles to a Wawa and I could not drive it anymore. It was popping and jerking constantly, making it extremely unsafe to drive. So my dad had to come up and tow me back home. In the middle of the night mind you.

So what is my say on the situation? If you have a axle to replace. Do not go to Advance or Auto Zone, or one of those. The remanfactured units are a terrible excuse for a quality product. They just put new boots on and pump it full of grease, no inspection of the driver or bearings. I called advance auto, and all I was told concerning a refund for a malfunctioned product is that I can get a replacement, which would be a waste of my time to get another failure waiting to happen on my car. I have talked to many other guys with Honda's and they all have said similar things. That all these axles sold by the local auto stores are junk and last no time at all. So today I went ahead and went OEM. $347.47 for both axles shipped.

Now some people may be successful with their axles from these auto stores, and I am happy for you, a lot better than my current situation with my car. But, I am advising everyone who is considering axles or needs them, go OEM, or at least a new axle, not this remanfactured bullsh**!
good info. to add, vibration on acceleration could be induced from a halfshaft bearing issue, or also from a binding inner CV joint from a car being too low. the car is lowered alot, and the inner cv gets pulled to its limit, and due to the nature of a CV...it binds.

reman is a shot in the dark with many many of the brands offered at the mass retailers, however, like anything, not all reman are the same quality.

some reman companies have higher standards and demand tighter tolerances. one i can think of is cardone. they offer very high quality remans because they use only high quality cores, and have a ton of checks to ensure quality parts are being used from start to finish.

if you want new, there are some options out there that are cost effective. again, cardone offers a new axle program, all new. they are VERY nice units. raxles is another company that offers fantastic new axles. as many of you know, raxles also offers extremely high quality high performance axles for high power applications. but their OE replacement axles are wonderful.

driveshaft shop...****. their level 0 axles, which are indeed new, are ****. their customer service is ****. they have the huge name, but frank rehak is a complete imbecile.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They do more than "pump grease" into the new boots. They also machine the lands where the new roller bearings ride in,balance,machine the splines and paint it. Most remans have lifetime warrantys anyways Ok? knowledge is the key to life
Old 10-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...0&ThreadPage=1
Old 10-13-2009, 03:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow man that sucks. I hate re manufactured everything. I just change the right axle on my 94 and I got one from napa, but it was brand new for $98
Old 10-13-2009, 03:52 AM
He knows where you live!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by HonBeer
They do more than "pump grease" into the new boots. They also machine the lands where the new roller bearings ride in,balance,machine the splines and paint it. Most remans have lifetime warrantys anyways Ok? knowledge is the key to life
So you speak for every remanufactured axle brand?

MOST have a lifetime warranty yes, but what good is that if you're changing them every other week. builthatch added some good info as well. There could be other issues than just a "bad axle" I know when I had the H22 swap when I used Accord axles on the passenger side, they were junked up much more frequently. I went to a Prelude axle (reman'd) and it had been working perfectly.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did read that thread on the integra site. and i feel for that guy. i am in the same boat, just not as many axles. total bull.

and the limited lifetime warranty just means you can get a replacement. but a refund. no sir. not according to advance.

i mean whoever reads this can take it with a grain of salt or in total seriousness as good information before buying them.