Notices

white smoke coming out of breather tube on valve cover, blown headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke coming out of breather tube on valve cover, blown headgasket?

built b18c1 motor with SC61 turbo....

Today im driving home ont he freeway and im late, so im driving between 80-90 mph for about 60 miles or so. I look down and i see the temp is at the HOT mark and notice smoke from the exhaust and underhood. I pull over right away to inspect. I look under the car and see coolant spitting out all over the freeway from somewhere behind the motor. Under hood all is smokey, no sign of leakage from anywhere.

A nice policeman pulled over to help and helped me limp my car 1/2 a mile to a gas station. I jacked it up and everything looks wet behind the motor, but i couldnt really see any clear signs from where. I bought some coolant and filled it back up, let it idle for about 10 min and watched. No coolant was leaking out from anywhere i could see while it was jacked up.

The biggest problem i see is the breather tube that connects to the intake from the valvecover, well i just have a tube connected to the valve cover that dumps to atmosphere instead of to the intake but its puffing out white smoke from the end of that tube, the white smoke from the valve cover breather smells more like oil than coolant. There really isnt any other smoke from the engine.

I ended up filling up the coolant and driving the rest of the way home <60 miles> @ 60mph without any problems, coolant level was only slightly lower then where it was at when i filled it up at the gas station.

I let it sit for a few hours, started up everytihng seems fine when its cold but once it warms up the smoke starts coming outta the breather tube. driving around the block, i could smell coolant.

my first guess was the headgasket, but the oil looks perfect. I do have a small oil leak between the head and the block, but i never re-torqued my headstuds after i rebuilt my motor and the leak is in the front of the block and there is deffinatly no smoke or coolant leaking form there.

any ideas?
Old 05-21-2006, 09:41 AM

Default Re: white smoke coming out of breather tube on valve cover, blown headgasket? (siis2fast)

white smoke from breather means there is compression entering your oiling system...usually through the piston rings.......

aka motor is probably blown
Old 05-21-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: white smoke coming out of breather tube on valve cover, blown headgasket? (miamidamian)

first sign of ringlands goin bad.