Notices

My sh*t got f*cked up! Need your input...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 03:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My sh*t got f*cked up! Need your input...

so earlier today i raced a silvia (and won =P) but afterwards my engine idles really low like it's about to die AND white smoke is coming out of the stem of the valve cover. What could have happened? I was only boosting 6psi and shifted at 7k so i wouldn't call that pushing it too hard...help a boost buddy out cuz i'm a little overwhelmed by it...thanks in advance

Old 02-07-2004, 04:21 AM

Default Re: My sh*t got f*cked up! Need your input... (FlyTheCoupe)

I would do a compression test before anything, but when there's smoke coming out of the valve cover breather/oil resevoir it usually means you're getting blow by. You did say the smoke was white though, which usually means coolant, so it could be head gasket related. Does anyone know if that would cause white smoke to come from the valve cover breather?

Try this: Pull your dipstick out and see if smoke comes from there. If yes, it's probably safe to say it's bottom end related, and the rings/ringlands could be gone. If not, I would assume the problem is coming from your head gasket->up.

Keep us posted.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: My sh*t got f*cked up! Need your input... (FlyTheCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FlyTheCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so earlier today i raced a silvia (and won =P) but afterwards my engine idles really low like it's about to die AND white smoke is coming out of the stem of the valve cover. What could have happened? I was only boosting 6psi and shifted at 7k so i wouldn't call that pushing it too hard...help a boost buddy out cuz i'm a little overwhelmed by it...thanks in advance

</TD></TR></TABLE> if the timing is off 1 psi will f up your ring lands or head gasket what is your set up what turbo kit on what motor
Old 02-07-2004, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

u probably cracked a ringland. you might be able to hear a slight ticking noise from the bottom end depending on how bad it is. a compression test will say it all
Old 02-07-2004, 07:45 AM

Default Re: (99B16Si)

I was getting white smoke out of the valve cover breather when I broke a ringland.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:32 AM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (p0gi)

I thought a compression test only tested the compression rings.. I think thats true because it doesnt pin point it as far as the oil control rings. Btw, why dont you try a leak down?
Old 02-07-2004, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (p0gi)

I was getting white smoke out of the valve cover when I cracked my ringlands. The funny thing is I did a compression check and all cylinders were fine except #3, but when I finally pulled the motor apart all 4 cylinders had cracked ringlands...to top it all off i had a bad headgasket too....I would say do a conpression check and if its ok or your not sure then do a leakdown test.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Re: (DOHCarp)

thanks for the input...damn there is smoke coming out when i pull the dipstick out. I guess it's my ringlands since most of you seem to have had the same problem. My set up is a stock b16A wit a drag gen 4 turbo. I'll have it checked out today...any idea how much cash i'm gonna have to throw away?
Old 02-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Trial User

I vote ringlands!
Sorry man, i already went through 2 stock block, the ringlands went both times.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:56 AM

Default Re: (psi420)

I wouldn't say wasting money, just think of rebuilding as more boost

By the way was your setup tuned? or just fmu.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:57 AM

Default Re: (psi420)

rebuild that baby and boost it more!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:52 AM

well i can say it's prolly the ringlands.the same thing happend to me "exactly"the way you discribe.i would suggest not to drive the car because now your oil pressure is going to be very low and could risk spinning a bearing like i did also and if that happen then you could hit a oil squirter,and mess up the block beyond repair like what happend to me.oh and if you still want to drive the car remember that with low oil pressure oil might not reach the turbo and the support bearing is going to bad then your turbo is f**k liked what happend to me but i was still under my 1yr warranty. and good friends with the guys at revhard.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:18 AM

Default Re: (SiBirdie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SiBirdie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">rebuild that baby and boost it more! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yeah, that's what I would do.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:57 AM

Default Re: (J.R.)

thanks guys...now i'm 99 percent sure it's the ringlands from what i hear...and since it's gonna be pulled apart i am gonna build it for more boost. the next time you guys hear from me...i'll be boostin 15+ ...but ill be for now....

thanks H-T...forum is bomb
Old 02-07-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Re: (johncarlos)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by johncarlos &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i can say it's prolly the ringlands.the same thing happend to me "exactly"the way you discribe.i would suggest not to drive the car because now your oil pressure is going to be very low and could risk spinning a bearing like i did also and if that happen then you could hit a oil squirter,and mess up the block beyond repair like what happend to me.oh and if you still want to drive the car remember that with low oil pressure oil might not reach the turbo and the support bearing is going to bad then your turbo is f**k liked what happend to me but i was still under my 1yr warranty. and good friends with the guys at revhard.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you back up and running? It's funny cuz i still drove it hard after the smoke just so i could test the car...(shouldn't have done that but i didn't know what to think.) I'm able to drive the car...of course i'll keep it under 3.5k and take it to the guy who will be rebuilding
Old 02-08-2004, 05:46 AM

no my car is still in the shop.been there from last september.but it's almost done i should be on the road in about 2-3 weeks if all goes well.