Notices

Precision GT35E/T4 Weird problem... center section loose, bolts are tight

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Precision GT35E/T4 Weird problem... center section loose, bolts are tight

I was checking the car for loose stuff today and noticed that when I grabbed the compressor housing it was loose at the connection between turbine housing and center section. I checked the four small 8mm 12pt bolts that hold my center section and compressor to the turbine housing and they were all tight. So I proceded to pull the bolts out one by one to make sure they werent stripped ect..

All the bolts backed out just fine. So I ran them back in and something is definitely not normal. The turbo has been fine for quite a while and even now still was driving just fine making good boost. Im not sure what the cause of this could be. Nothing has been changed since recv the turbo other than a clock adjustment to get the compressor housing where it needed to be. The car has been running for around 1500 miles or less since turbocharged. Everything was A-ok when it went together.

Any Ideas? I also noticed a decent amount of oil inside the edges of my compressor housing but the turbo has no shaft play and works great.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Precision GT35E/T4 Weird problem... center section loose, bolts are tight (g2turbo)

up
Old 07-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Precision GT35E/T4 Weird problem... center section loose, bolts are tight (g2turbo)

its that ectune i don't see any other tunes with that prolem

just kidding
bump for help
Old 07-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it shifting where the C-clip on the CHRA???

I had a similar problem with a garrett gt35r, but only shifts at boost. Strange problem, but it seems like the garrett dealers are unaware of such an issue.(don't know about the precision)

??????? and still clueless........lmk what is found!
Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mighty137)

let me see if I can find a good pic and ill post it tommorrow. Im out of town right now.

If any of you are familiar with the t4 vband turbine housings from precision(mines a .68) then you know there is a series of threaded holes all the way around the housing and the center section/compressor housing connects to it with 4 small bolts. This is where its loose. I dont even know how this is possible lol.

Im pulling the manifold and turbo off tommorrow and try to get a better idea of why this may be happening. Precision said they've never heard of such a problem and that If I wanted to send the turbo they would be glad to take a look at it.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (g2turbo)

The bolts must have stretched. We pulled the turbo off the car and checked it out. The bolts were difinitely bottomed out in the threaded holes and not clamping the turbo together adequately. I added a stainless lock washer to each and everything is back on the road.

I guess the heat and stress ect. caused the bolts to stretch.