Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Stock speakers sound worse after radio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock speakers sound worse after radio upgrade

I have a 2001 Honda Civic LX, and the left-front speaker was staticky (sounded blown) and I had the stock tape deck, so I went to upgrade the radio and speakers and the tech said the speaker stopped giving off static after he installed the radio (I appreciate his honesty), so I chose to put off upgrading the speakers, but they just don't sound as good, less bassy and more trebly even after fiddling with the settings; I can't figure out what's going on or if it's just my ears, but I just read something about impedence and ohm and phase and blah blah blah... I don't really get all of that. The new radio was around $100 Kenwood with CD/Bluetooth/USB/aux, didn't seem particularly special.

Any info/advice? I'm still thinking of upgrading the speakers but I'm not sure I need to or if that will make anything better (also I'm not sure how skilled the tech was since he didn't seem to notice an issue).
Old 11-26-2016, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Stock speakers sound worse after radio upgrade

I'm not sure about this but it's possible the original deck was putting out more watts than the new deck. That may be a reason. Another reason could be the song you are playing. One song may not have as much bass as the other.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think any current aftermarket deck would give out more power. I would recommend doin some research on Crutchfield and find a set of decent speakers that fit your car and are designed to work with the amount of wattage your deck is putting out. Then I would purchase said speakers on ebay for $30 free shipping and spend 10 minutes pulling off your door panels and replacing. Should work, if not, you've only spent $30. If it does work, I would purchase another set of speakers for the rear.
Old 11-27-2016, 01:53 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The first thing I would do is check phasing, no bass is a sign of out of phase speakers.
An easy way to check phase is to fade to the front speakers then balance all the way to the left then right, if bass is better when you are balanced all the way left or right and drops out when balance is centered your speakers are out of phase, return to installer and have them wire the new HU rewired properly. 94
Old 12-02-2016, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I discovered a pre-EQ setting, changed it to "pass" and it sounds better, just not quite the same (though the speakers with the stock radio sounded too bassy anyways), but they do have a sound like they're out of phase... however, the left front speaker has always been a little weak so I'll have to test with the back speakers (which have never been a problem). The techs did know about "phase" so I'm assuming they configured it as best they could, but I think the front speakers are just jacked so I'll replace those and make sure things are wired correctly for impedance and phase.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:02 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

How does it sound now?94