Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound

So the audio forum is a bit dead and i was looking for this answer.

Hey i need ur help i got a civic the details are in the title, but i was thinking about getting a cd player installed from best buy and i was wondering is the sound quality going to be better then the stock radio, i heard yes since the speakers will get more power but i dont want to blow them. I will get new speakers once i get money but the cd player on my stock radio is broke and wanted to get a maybe 300 watt i guess radio.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:52 AM

?????????????
Old 11-14-2007, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jrs95civic)

What u mean???????

Read the question below about the sound of the stock speakers.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (deerman2701)

With just the stero you wont blow your stock speakers and they'll sound a little better. If you really want some sound get you some aftermarket speakers an a amp. I got some P.O.S sony explodes w/ 2 12's an a 600watt amp. The ladys still look when I turn down the road haha.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

an aftermarket deck does not put out 300 watts. more like 45w to 50w per channel. Depending on how good ur stock speakers are, u wont blow them, but will get distortion at higher volumes. but that goes with anything.

Will it sound better, you probably wont notice unless the deck you get has high pass and low pass filters on it, much like an amp does. The alpine deck that i have, allows you to change which frequency range will be more amplified. N my deck is nothing special.

If you want the sound to be clear get a 4 channel amp. Then upgrade your speakers. If you got money get a component set and run that off an amp.

Modified by Malakai at 2:05 PM 11/14/2007
Old 11-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sound (deerman2701)

he meant ?????????? because your English and grammar skills suck rocks.

However. Wattage and quality do not go hand in hand. Speakers blow because of distorted sound more often than anything. Your stock speakers will blow if you crank the volume up past the point where the internal amp of your stereo is still producing clean sound.

That being said, for now, most of the aftermarket stereos will work, if you are a looking at adding other speakers, amps, etc. down the road, then get a head unit that will work with them, that way you don't have to double spend to upgrade the head unit.

Here's the head unit I just got off of ebay, took me about 30 minutes to wire it up to the stock wiring and get it installed: Sony CDX-GT805DX

The nice thing about it is you can adjust the time delay for each speaker on an individual basis to put you in the middle of the sound stage.

Take some time, do a little research before you just plunk down money. There's good deals and stereos all over if you don't have to have something brand new off the shelf.

John

Old 11-14-2007, 10:41 AM

Default Re: Sound (deerman2701)

Just an answer for your question... I am a roadshop manager at circuit city and fyi your most likely not going to find a after market head unit that will give you more than about 50-60 watts peak power.... most likely an after market head unit will give you a little more power for your speakers, but you probably wont notice much of a diference in sound. What a head unit will do for you however is give you more of an ability to adjust your EQ, and also add aux inputs and outputs in the back for adding an external amp. honestly, you dont have to worry about blowing your speakers though with the power most after market head units put out. P.S. circuit city does have free install right now.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Sound (BaLleRsTAtuS)

if you want a good sounding system, just wait till you have enough money to buy 4 nice speakers (a set of componets for up front, and a set of 6x9's in the rear,if not another set of componets) then get a 4 channel amp, with an rms rating close to what your speakers are. and a nice cd player, to send a clean signal to the amp. in speakers you get what you pay for, i paid 1500 for my 4 speakers, a amp, and cd player, and love every bit of it. alpine type r componets srp-17's, and 6x9's srp-69c, alpine mrp-f550 amp, and soney cdx-gt81uw cd player. its a great sounding set up, a buddy of mine won a spl contest for best sounding system with the same speaker set up
Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sound (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you want a good sounding system, just wait till you have enough money to buy 4 nice speakers (a set of componets for up front, and a set of 6x9's in the rear,if not another set of componets) then get a 4 channel amp, with an rms rating close to what your speakers are. and a nice cd player, to send a clean signal to the amp. in speakers you get what you pay for, i paid 1500 for my 4 speakers, a amp, and cd player, and love every bit of it. alpine type r componets srp-17's, and 6x9's srp-69c, alpine mrp-f550 amp, and soney cdx-gt81uw cd player. its a great sounding set up, a buddy of mine won a spl contest for best sounding system with the same speaker set up</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll second that. I'm still looking for a good 4 channel amp, but I have boston acoustics SL60 6.5" for the back of mine, Boston Acoust SL65 components for the front. Get the amp, dynamat the cabin, and the Sol will be sounding sweet!

John