Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

De-pin/ Re-pin ecu plug for repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Default De-pin/ Re-pin ecu plug for repair

While i was working on the wiring mess in my car last night, i think i found part of the reason my vafc2 hasnt been firing up when the key is in the on position. i found one of the wires from the ecu has come undone from the ecu plug. no connector, just the wire. so first i obviously have to find where this wire went into the plug, then i need to remove the wire connector from the plug. i've watched a couple videos on how to de-pin the ecu plug connector, but all of the videos show the person pulling on the wire to free the wire and wire connector from the plug. how do i remove the wire connector from the ecu plug if i have nothing to pull from the other side? will it just fall out from gravity after i push from the other side? i've never done this before so i wasnt sure what to expect.

i'm sure i'll have to get a new wire connector to re-pin it. hopefully this is the only one, it doesnt look like a difficult process, just very tedious.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:44 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: De-pin/ Re-pin ecu plug for repair

It should fall out once you have "released" the pin, it may need a little push from the side your de-pining from to help it along. 94
Old 07-14-2016, 04:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks good to know. we'll see how this goes!
Old 09-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

2 month later bump....

then i went back to working on my ecu issues. i have 3 wires that have pulled out of the ecu crimps. and i see why now. i was reading up on depinning and i tried a wire that was intact in the ecu plug to make sure my technique was good. check out the crimp on this wire. see all of the corrosion? i'm sure a lot of these are like this.

i am having a heck of a time getting the pins that fell off the wires to release from the ecu plug. i dont have the luxury of pulling the wire to remove the crimp. i tried turning it straight up and down in hopes that it would fall out via gravity and i had no such luck. i tried releasing the pin like in all of the depinning videos and pushing it out the back from the front, that didnt work either. i'm actually starting to cause some damage to the plug and i really dont want to do that. any ideas on how to go about repairing this? i have 2 wires on the large gray plug and 1 wire on the smallest of the 3 ecu plugs. this is getting to be really frustrating. i want to repair it properly without causing further damage to the ecu plugs.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:44 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hard to tell from the pix but it looks like those pins are held in place by a "clip" in the plug rather then a clip on the pin itself, what ECU do you have? 94
Old 09-19-2016, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry, should have mentioned that. its an obd2 p72. stock 96 gsr integra wiring. i will see if i can get a better pic too, my phone wouldnt focus on the crimp very well.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its so hard to get my phone to focus in on these buggers

there is some sort of pin to release, here is one i was able to release easily and pull out with the broken wires. the other 3 that have no wire sticking out of the plug are giving me grief.

Old 09-28-2016, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those ones that don't have wires try using a small pick to lift the spring / plastic clip from the front of the plug. While it is up take a micro flat head screwdriver (smaller than pocket screwdriver) to push the body of the pin. May be easier said than done but trying to visualize it in my head that's what I'd try. For replacing those bad wires you can get any connector that takes that size pin and pop it a few times with a hammer and they come right out lol. Lazy way of depinning connectors. I'd try n find an ecu connector at the junk yard that way you can have matching colored wires once you splice in the new pins.
Good luck!
Old 09-29-2016, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tylerg6254
I'd try n find an ecu connector at the junk yard that way you can have matching colored wires once you splice in the new pins.
Good luck!
That's actually what i ended up doing. i picked up a set of ecu plugs with about 6 inches of wire still attached to them off ebay for $10. i plan on making the repairs this weekend....hopefully.