Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Amp

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp

Ok I'm thinking of getting an Amp and sub for my Truck which is a 01 Dodge Ram 4x4 Quad Cab. It still has the stock system and I'm not at all a fan of stock systems and would have changed it by now if it wasn't for the fact that this is not my daily driver so I don't want to spend a lot on it. It has Street Wires 4 gauge wiring kit already wired for an amp and he wires to connect an amp to the speaker wires of the HU. I'm thinking about keeping the stock HU for now anyway and maybe speakers atleast for now and adding a amp and subwoofer for a little more bass which is mainly where it lacks. I was looking at some amps and Crutchfield has a Profile California 400M for $79.99 I know these arnt the best amps but that is about what I would like to spend it puts out 200watts rms. I was wondering if this is a decent amp? I don't think I have heard this one and really not sure how loud 200watts is as most I'm familiar with are atleast 400watts. I want to have good bass inside the truck and would like to be able to turn it up fairly loud as in shaking the truck don't think I would ever do that but would like to be able to. I want a decent sounding amp also and everything I have read so far says these are good for the money. Is this amp a good choice or should I stay away from it? Once again this isn't my daily driver so I don't want to spend a lot. I also am not sure where to put a sub but I'm looking at a 10" maybe 12" but I think I will have to go with 10" I was looking at a Polk Momo 10" sub any other reccomendations?
Old 02-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Amp (hometheaterman)

Also what would be the best way about being able to turn the amp off when the car isn't running or when I want to turn it off as I doubt the stock stereo has a remote turn on lead to sense when the radio is on or not and I don't want to cut up the the Street Wires to put a switch in not to mention it would be fairly hard to do to a 4Guage wire.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:15 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hometheaterman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also what would be the best way about being able to turn the amp off when the car isn't running or when I want to turn it off as I doubt the stock stereo has a remote turn on lead to sense when the radio is on or not and I don't want to cut up the the Street Wires to put a switch in not to mention it would be fairly hard to do to a 4Guage wire. </TD></TR></TABLE> I would go with a HU first, both SQ and bass responce would go up, you would be surprised at how good and how much bass you can get out of stock speakers once you put some watts into them, then add the amp and sub if you need more, [MTX makes abox w/ subs that fit that truck] if you still want to go withthe amp and sub juas wire the amp trigger wire to acc. at the back of the HU, that way the amp is only on if ign. is on. 94
Old 02-06-2005, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Amp (fcm)

May go with a HU but really don't want to. I like having the steering wheel controls and don't want to have to buy the adapter which appears to be quite expensive to keep them and I really don't need the best sounding system in here just a little more bass as the bass on the HU gets distorted and sounds like crap when turned up. I have a Alpine HU in my other truck and thought about taking it out and swapping it into this one but would like to keep something in the other truck so don't think I want to swap it and don't really want to buy a HU and all the wiring adapeters to keep the steering wheel controls. I was going to replace the HU but really don't want to loose those or buy the adapter and other than the bass not sounding clear It doesn't sound too bad.
Old 02-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Saw MTX's box but that thing is expensive seems to be $3-400 for the box I would rather build my own and thinking about having it take up the floor in of the middle seat but not sure I don't think a sub would fit down under the seat but somehow it will in the MTX box so I'm not sure whats upwith that there isn't much room under there and most of the subs I have seen are pretty deep.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:23 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hometheaterman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">May go with a HU but really don't want to. I like having the steering wheel controls and don't want to have to buy the adapter which appears to be quite expensive to keep them and I really don't need the best sounding system in here just a little more bass as the bass on the HU gets distorted and sounds like crap when turned up. I have a Alpine HU in my other truck and thought about taking it out and swapping it into this one but would like to keep something in the other truck so don't think I want to swap it and don't really want to buy a HU and all the wiring adapeters to keep the steering wheel controls. I was going to replace the HU but really don't want to loose those or buy the adapter and other than the bass not sounding clear It doesn't sound too bad. </TD></TR></TABLE>LOL ok I get from your drift that you don't want to replace the HU.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hometheaterman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Saw MTX's box but that thing is expensive seems to be $3-400 for the box I would rather build my own and thinking about having it take up the floor in of the middle seat but not sure I don't think a sub would fit down under the seat but somehow it will in the MTX box so I'm not sure whats upwith that there isn't much room under there and most of the subs I have seen are pretty deep. </TD></TR></TABLE> That is why I recomend the MTX dodge quad cab box, it comes loaded with 2 10" MTX subs, it fits under rear seat, and it sounds great, it is tuned for your truck, as for cost, I don't think you can find 2 10" subs and build a box, [that fits under rear seat] for much less, not if you take into account, the time to build a fiberglass box, and for sure, not if you take into account the SQ you get from the MTX box. 94
Old 02-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah but the MTX subs are also 8 ohms wouldn't I want 4 ohms or maybe even 2? I may get the box made for my truck not sure still looking at my options right now I'm thinking maybe either 1 10" kicker solo whatever 2ohm square sub or a Polk Momo 10" 4 ohm sub and that Profile amp and I think just build my own box. I don't really want MTX subs but I may end up going that way not sure about them being 8 ohms though.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:57 AM
fcm
Old Fart

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hometheaterman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah but the MTX subs are also 8 ohms wouldn't I want 4 ohms or maybe even 2? I may get the box made for my truck not sure still looking at my options right now I'm thinking maybe either 1 10" kicker solo whatever 2ohm square sub or a Polk Momo 10" 4 ohm sub and that Profile amp and I think just build my own box. I don't really want MTX subs but I may end up going that way not sure about them being 8 ohms though. </TD></TR></TABLE> 2 8ohm subs in parrallel is a 4ohm load, and a 4ohm load will keep any amp nice and stable 94