Notices
Audio / Security / Video Sound Systems, Alarms, Electronics

Air Bag Light On Toyota Tacoma Auto Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Bag Light On Toyota Tacoma Auto Start

Any Installers have issues with the Air Bag light on the Tacomas.

I installed a Compustar 900FM recently with Auto start.

Every once in a while the Air bag light comes on. It eventually goes off, the thing is baffling to me because I cant think of any reason for it to be on.

Anyone else have any similiar issues?
Old 01-30-2007, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Air Bag Light On Toyota Tacoma Auto Start (nsxxtreme)

never seen this. will look into it.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've seen it on a corolla. a wrong wire was tapped. can't remember cause i didn't install it. good thing tho was that when the wire was removed the airbag stood off. which means u don't have a big S.I.L. or a bad srs module or something.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (perseverance)

I'm Fairly sure the wrong wire was not tapped. The only wire that is cut is the starter wire. This occured previously with a clifford alarm that did not have remote start. It went away so I didn't worry about it. Now its back and seems to happen more frequently. When I physically connected the starter wires back together the light never came back on.

I'm thinking the order in which things are turned on or something to this extent.

Modified by nsxxtreme at 9:55 AM 1/30/2007
Old 01-30-2007, 08:55 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: (nsxxtreme)

What year is the Tacoma?, I have run into similar problems, [not on a Tacoma] but it had to do with two ign. leads and two acc. leads and when they are powered, check when ign. and acc. are powered with key, [mainly when cranking to start.
I have had to use ign. outputs on acc. on some cars, [powered when cranking] to keep CEL lights from turning on intermittently. 94
Old 01-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fcm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What year is the Tacoma?, I have run into similar problems, [not on a Tacoma] but it had to do with two ign. leads and two acc. leads and when they are powered, check when ign. and acc. are powered with key, [mainly when cranking to start.
I have had to use ign. outputs on acc. on some cars, [powered when cranking] to keep CEL lights from turning on intermittently. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya I think you your on to something, this is along the lines of what I was thinking. The tacoma does have an extra ignition wire I think. I'll have to check again. I remember two wires of something and I tied them to the same relay.

Its a 98 Tacoma V6

When it came on when I had the Clifford alarm I had the error code read and it was a power related issue. I need to pull this alarm out anyway because it was designed for an Automatic and not a stick. Been waiting to order two more alarms before I do this so I can just swap it out. Let me know if you come up with any other ideas.

Modified by nsxxtreme at 10:33 AM 1/30/2007
Old 01-30-2007, 12:02 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Yes 2 ign. and one acc.... http://www.directechs.com/directwire/default.asp but test them for when they are on, I have also run into ign. leads that "drop" power when cranking. 94
Old 03-07-2007, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I haven't figured this out yet. It's really starting to **** me off. I think I'll just hook the starter wire back up and use the clutch switch to disable the starter when the alarm is armed.
Old 03-07-2007, 05:06 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Try it with the key in the ign., I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the keysense, [light green/red (-) ign. harness. 94
Old 03-07-2007, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: 99 probs but a stolen car aint 1, ca, cerritos/fullerton
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey computar gave me a call today and said they will be shipping out the right alarms. I have one on the way. I waiting for it to shipp. I will keep you updated on the outcome so we can get this resolved.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wrx-killer-Sti eater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wrx-killer-Sti eater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey computar gave me a call today and said they will be shipping out the right alarms. I have one on the way. I waiting for it to shipp. I will keep you updated on the outcome so we can get this resolved.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This specific issue doesn't have anything to do with the compustar alarm. This is Truck related I believe because it did it with my old alarm as well that didn't have car start. Once I reconnected the starter wire the problem went away.

It reappeared when I installed the compustar and cut the starter wire again.

Let me know when you get them in I am in no hurry

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fcm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try it with the key in the ign., I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the keysense, [light green/red (-) ign. harness. 94</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's an idea. I'll have to try that, its doubtful, but I'll try just about anything right now. I think I need to look in a toyota tech book and figure out which wires the air bag computer is using.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I never did root cause this issue. But I wanted to follow up so you installers might make a mental note.

When I sold this truck I removed the Compustar alarm and installed a cheapy that did not mess with the ignition or the starter wires. Problem went away.

I know this issue is not related to Compustar because I had a similiar issue with the Clifford I had previously. I am pretty sure it was related to the timing of the different ignition wires.