Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

Spoon VS rebuilt + JRSC

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon VS rebuilt + JRSC

guys I need your opinions I need to rebuild my engine or buy a spoon crate motor. only reason im planning on doing this Is because car is starting to burn oil and smoke on cold starts a little. I live on the North east CT and looking for shop to rebuild my engine or buy a crate motor and swap over the JRSC. my biggest concern is the safety of the car where she would be work on? and the quality of work.

Car: 1998 Acura Integra Type R ( stock motor beside CTR piston that was done on previous rebuilt by previous owner )

Mods: Jackson supercharger at 8psi of boost, Intake, Exhaust and header tune with Hondata ecu.

Use: I track my R when ever I have the chance to attend local events/meet/car shows. Not looking to make crazy horse power where engine would be push to the max. but I do want to rebuild it where she would handle the 8psi of boost and be reliable.

before anything I would be sending my JRSC to LHT to have them do the intercooler upgrade as well using there throttle body and header setup.

I was thinking of going with a spoon crate engine because of how well balance setup they have using oem parts and built for endurance. meaning they can take the beat on the track. It's a new motor built by professionals and all I have to do is swap engines add the jrsc and tune and go...hopefully : / but what concerns me is that spoon compression is 11:5:1 if remember correctly vs Compression: 10.6:1 on stock USDM R engine. not sure how that would handle 8psi of boost. Also I would be in Japan later on this year so I would be buying it directly from them.

the other choice was to find a shop that has work on supercharge Honda's have them rebuilt the engine to oem specs or upgrading internals. Not sure of this because I need to educate myself more on what best setup would be if going this route. would love to get opinion on people that have rebuilt there engine's with a supercharger and if they added aftermarket parts to gain more HP but was still reliable.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon VS rebuilt + JRSC

I would have your engine overhauled with upgraded pistons and rods aswell as have your head freshened up. If your willing to spend that kind of money on a "crate engine" you would come out with a little money saved by just building the engine to be stronger.

A good machine shop can balance the rotating assembly other than the pistons.

just my .02
Old 08-20-2013, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unsure how accurate this compression calculator is... But it says you're running at a 12.73:1 Compression ratio NA with that motor setup.

http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html

Just letting u know... CTR pistons have massive domes
Old 08-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpine
I would have your engine overhauled with upgraded pistons and rods aswell as have your head freshened up. If your willing to spend that kind of money on a "crate engine" you would come out with a little money saved by just building the engine to be stronger.

A good machine shop can balance the rotating assembly other than the pistons.

just my .02
I would love that, i just have to find a shop that has work with superchargers before and can build me a nice setup.. Can any one recommend a shop ?
Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LHT could rebuild the engine since you are already sending the jrsc.

King Motorsports in Wisconsin builds motors with reliability in mind first. They also offers crate motors (check website). In which each motor is badged and numbered for authenticity.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2000FBPITR
Unsure how accurate this compression calculator is... But it says you're running at a 12.73:1 Compression ratio NA with that motor setup.

http://www.zealautowerks.com/bseries.html

Just letting u know... CTR pistons have massive domes
Cool nice info thanks for the link... Yeah dont know why previous owner decided to go with those pistons
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lzylst
LHT could rebuild the engine since you are already sending the jrsc.

King Motorsports in Wisconsin builds motors with reliability in mind first. They also offers crate motors (check website). In which each motor is badged and numbered for authenticity.
Yea i was just looking into that, seem like everything is out of state would love a local shop but here in CT theres nothing and i dont know about nyc there all into drag racing setups.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't trust any random machine shops. I've had very bad experiences trying to save money. I should have paid the money to the reputable places that specialize. LHT is local to me and John has been around for quite a while putting out quality work.

I myself have a King Motorsport engine. They specialize in usable power. Reliability comes first then power. Look at the website and if you call ask for Miike L.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lzylst
I wouldn't trust any random machine shops. I've had very bad experiences trying to save money. I should have paid the money to the reputable places that specialize. LHT is local to me and John has been around for quite a while putting out quality work.

I myself have a King Motorsport engine. They specialize in usable power. Reliability comes first then power. Look at the website and if you call ask for Miike L.
Thanks for the info, and yes that's right its hard to trust a shop i don't want to spend thousand of dollars and end up with doing it twice. I heard so many bad stories. I want it done right the first time.

Are supercharge as well or what setup are you using on your king motorsport engine
Old 08-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpoonREVS
I would love that, i just have to find a shop that has work with superchargers before and can build me a nice setup.. Can any one recommend a shop ?
I not sure where your located (state wise) so I dont know who's local to you.

I did talk with the guys at team 4 piston and I liked thier stuff. You also can't go wrong with the two shops listed above.

I guess the questions are:
Do you mind being with out your car running while you pull your engine and ship it away to get reworked?

Also whats your budget? If I look up the going price for what a shop wanted for a spoon crate engine here in the US is was like $6K for the b18c engine.

Why not build the block or annother block yourself?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpine
I not sure where your located (state wise) so I dont know who's local to you.

I did talk with the guys at team 4 piston and I liked thier stuff. You also can't go wrong with the two shops listed above.

I guess the questions are:
Do you mind being with out your car running while you pull your engine and ship it away to get reworked?

Also whats your budget? If I look up the going price for what a shop wanted for a spoon crate engine here in the US is was like $6K for the b18c engine.

Why not build the block or annother block yourself?
im located in Connecticut, I dont mind shipping the car out or the engine to have it built. and budget from 6-12k. even though part cost pretty penny and might be more with labor and all. I just want it done correctly and not have million of issues because of poor labor or use of parts.

that's why I was considering a spoon engine there new and re fine to closed to perfection, just don't know how they would handle with a supercharger I guess it would be on the tuner hands to make some power and not go over a safe zone.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by SpoonREVS
Thanks for the info, and yes that's right its hard to trust a shop i don't want to spend thousand of dollars and end up with doing it twice. I heard so many bad stories. I want it done right the first time.

Are supercharge as well or what setup are you using on your king motorsport engine
I am not supercharged. The motor is too high of compression for that. It's a 87x85 with Skunk2 Pro1 cams that runs on pump gas. The motor was built for mid range (street use, auto cross, road racing). The torque curve is almost like a flat torque line. Inquire with them and look at their website for crate motor packages. You won't be disappointed!
Old 08-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Inline 4 sells the spoon engine for 12k now.

I bought a full Jdm swap (engine & transmission) for 4k and put that in my R while I slowly rebuild the original motor.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d=f20c1
Inline 4 sells the spoon engine for 12k now.

I bought a full Jdm swap (engine & transmission) for 4k and put that in my R while I slowly rebuild the original motor.
$12K is absolutely highway robbery!

Yes the engine from spoon is balanced, but it is still using oem parts that would fail faster under conditions such as applying forced induction (IE soft pistons and oem piston rings) to a factory NA engine.

If you did want to stay with oem then I would either source a b18cR long block from a reputable importer or call up Acura and see if you can still buy a longblock or short block from factory.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

labor on this car shouldnt be more than $1000-$1500 bucks. anything more i think would be a little shady.

with the kind of budget you have , id personally ship my car to king motorsports. they have put out countless 200whp-250whp street driven cars. i understand yours is fi but that wont be any different. like somebody mentioned earlier, reliability is key in thier builds.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honda built a great motor don't get me wrong... but you can rebuild them to be a damn near indestructible with the correct parts.

If it were me, and it were time for a rebuild... I wouldn't think twice about sleeving it to 84MM and going with forged internals. I charted the weight of the stock pistons and rods versus forged aftermarket. You can save as much as 2.5LBS off of just those alone!
Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a guy in Enfield by the name of Kyle, otherwise KJBUILT, he does awesome work. Pm me ill give you his number you guys could talk
Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys I been talking to John from LHT, still waiting on reply from kings motor sports