Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

PLZ HELP!! 97 Integra, A.C. / Fan / Loss of RPM..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 09:30 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLZ HELP!! 97 Integra, A.C. / Fan / Loss of RPM..

To anyone who may help, I appreciate!!!!

I have a 97 acura Integra ( not type R) and when I bought last year A.C. didn't work and seller said just needed a belt. ( figured was B.S.).

Anyways, a year now I get a oil change at Jiffy Lube and am told my air filter needs to be replaced. I go after and buy and replace mine. Now though every time I come to a stop my rpms go to almost 0 rpms and car "bogs" away until I get going to approx. 30mph.

Gets worse, take to my mechanic who I know is very knowledgable, has every tool and works out of moms garage as he's retired. Okay, dragging this out now.....

He puts a belt on A.C., fills Freon and A.C. works. Notices I have a spark coming through a sparkplug wire when it was unplugged so he replaces the wires and Dist. Cap. and EVERYTHING is working great!!! I've only driven to local places though, 2-3 miles roundtrip over the next 7-10 days. Then I have a 45 min drive with A.C. on full and car working great. 30 mins into it I hear a noise sounding like paper flapping under glove box and notice it's completely frozen under there and then the A.C. pressure goes down, loses it's coldness and car goes back to going to 0 rpm at stops again.

Lastly, now the car stalls many times after I start it n trying to put in Drive. So I did some reading and it says to check fans, well the fan on drivers side is not running with air on/off. Barely drove it last few days and left A.C. off but rpm going to 0 is worse than the very beginning. Did notice a female socket near fan with red wire is unplugged.

I know, wrote prob wayyyy too much. Don't know what to do. Ran great, got oit change, went to crap, got fixed and one 30 min trip with A.C. on and back to square one.

So my car stalls when I start, rpms go to 0 but doesn't stall at stops but cars feels like I'm riding a bull from bouncing up and down, A.C. isn't powerful or cold as before and felt it was frozen under glovebox, drivers side fan wasn't on when I turned car on with or w/o a.c. on and noticed a female plug with red wire wasn't connected to anything that was located near the fan. Car is not having overheating issues. SOMEONE, PLZ HELP ME!!!! emails great also..

Thanks,
Jeremy
jeremybaldy@gmail.com

Last edited by Baldy; 06-29-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:21 AM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Re: PLZ HELP!! 97 Integra, A.C. / Fan / Loss of RPM..

The A/C problem is a defective A/C thermostat, [prevents evaporator from freezing up by turning off the compressor when evap. temp. gets close to freezing, [seems that did not happen].

A frozen evap. would cause a restriction that would put a very high load on the engine.

I would start with checking the valve timing, you may have "skipped" a tooth.94
Old 06-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I will have mechanic start with that. I don't want to be paying for stuff I don't need. Would that also cause for the radiator fan not turning on? I believe the fan on the left ( drivers side) is the radiator fan and the one on the passenger side is something diff? Hoped I'd get a reply that it was something I may be able to try to fix but thermostat I'm not sure about
Old 06-30-2014, 03:59 PM
fcm
Old Fart

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There is a rad fan, [pass. side] and a condensor fan, [drivers side] only the rad fan turns on for engine temp., [about 200 degrees F] both the rad fan and condensor fan will turn on for A/C, [anytime A/C is on]. 94