Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Cooling fan problems - please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2002, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fan problems - please help

The car is overheating, and I think its due to the fact the cooling fan isnt coming on.

I have tested the fan with a direct link to the battey and it does work - so the fan is good.
The fan does NOT come on when I turn the AC on...so its not a bad fan switch (sensor) on the thermostat (unless that controls the fan when the AC is turned on also..I assume that is only for when teh car gets hot?)
The cooling fan fuse is good.

The only other link I can think of is the cooling fan relay. I dont know how to check it, how do I go about checking the relay? Im also going to try and use another replay from a different component and see if it works.
Old 05-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Cooling fan problems - please help (HX_Guy)

HX.. umm.... does it have coolant?? (sounds stupid i know... but i ask a domesic guy once taht was gonna race me.. after he pulled over and tried to start his car.. "do you have gas".. doh!!!! )

fuses, relay, any wiring broke or frayed anywhere?

any leaks in the coolant system? one hose with a little opening is enough to cause it to be messed up and overheat.. had a hose once that did that only when the car was hot.. never spotted it when i was pulled over and looking for it...

bleed all the air out of your coolant lines?

does the fan come on when your idleing and it gets hot? get the car idleing at about 3k for a few minutes and let it get hot.. and see fi the fan comes on?? (hey, i'm trying to help)....

some might not be related to the fan directly.. but maybe...

just guessing now..
Old 05-30-2002, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cooling fan problems - please help (GSRwBOOST)

Thanks for trying to help Jake

I know for a fact that there is something going on with the fan itself...because like I said the fan doesnt even come on when I turn the AC on, and its supposed to regardless of engine temp.

The thing is, I just installed a new engine in the car (stock B18B1) and Im having this problem. The cooling fan worked fine with the old engine
Old 05-30-2002, 06:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cooling fan problems - please help (HX_Guy)

the coolant temp sensor sounds like the culprit. It screws into the back of the block to the left of the oil filter (you must remove the filter for access). There are two or three sensors there, the Coolant temp sensor is 1 1/16 socket size, made of brasss. pull the connector off the CTS and jump it with a piece of wire with the key in the "run" position., the fan should come on. Thats whats wrong with my car. the sensor is available at autozone for 15.00. good luck.
Old 05-31-2002, 08:38 AM
Trial User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Cooling fan problems - please help (jetdriven)

the fan has a fuse somewhere too

also, but you might have already though of it, does the fan actually work when power is being sent to it?