Notices
Acura Integra All Integra Except ITR

Smog time, opinions on a cat

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog time, opinions on a cat

Here's my problem. When I bought the car, it came with an aftermarket cat. The problem is that the O2 sensor sits at an angle which crushes the wires against the subframe.

I'm under the impression that the factory O2 sensor location on a '94 GSR is straight up before the cat, which is where my Skunk2 test pipe has it - no crushed sensor.

Why is it that all the bolt-on aftermarket cats I have seen have the sensor off at an angle? Does anybody know of one that is a TRUE factory replacement?

The OBX appears to put the sensor bung in the correct location, but it's hard to tell. Does anybody have expereince with OBX cats. Will I pass in CA with one?

Thanks,
Old 07-18-2007, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as long as the sensor is working properly(not crushed up against the frame or anything) then everything should be fine. you seem to have a obd1 gsr, so just make sure you have a sensor before the cat convert.

btw, obx does not make cat convert. they make resonated test pipes(which is a big no no for smog)
Old 07-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gsrious)

Yeah, it's weird. There's people on Ebay selling OBX cats, box and all, but when I checked out OBX's website, there was no mention of catalytic converters. Of course, there was no mention of LSDs either, so I don't know how accurate their website is.

Does anyone else have a recommendation for a cat that doesn't destroy the O2 sensor. I believe the previous cat is a Catco, and is probably still good. It just destroys O2 sensors.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cat conv. do not destroy o2 sensors.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gsrious)

Ok...fine. You're right, cat. converters don't destroy O2 sensors (but O2 sensors can destroy cats . It's the placement of the O2 sensor bung on the cat that can put the O2 sensor in interference with chassis components. Then, the pressure, vibrations, and impacts associated with routine driving break the wires and bend the sensor body, therefore rendering it useless.

So let me rephrase: Does anybody know of a cat. converter that places the O2 sensor in a location that does not allow damage due to interference with other chassis components.