Go Back   Honda-Tech > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > All Motor/ Naturally Aspirated
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Welcome to Honda-Tech!
Welcome to Honda-Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Honda-Tech community today!


Reply
 
 
 
submit to reddit
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member
 
frostwhite_92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 298
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Sticking aftermarket throttle bodies

Has anyone been able to fix this issue beside replacing the entire throttle body?

I have a custom setup where I used a B-series Blox 74 mm TB on my NSX. There is something that is catching on the last 1/8 inch, so my car won't idle below 1500 RPM. I can physically get in there and push it back so that it does idle at 900 RPM, but that is obviously not a real world solution.

My hunch is that I will have to take apart the shaft that the throttle plate is attached to and sand/machine it down somewhere, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into (if someone else has done it before).

Thanks.
__________________
1991 Acura NSX
Looking for 2000 Citrus Insight and 2002 GPW S2000 with all red interior.
Will pay finder's fee. No heavily modified and/or salvage junk.
frostwhite_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member
 
FlewByU352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,574
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Sticking aftermarket throttle bodies

Obviously off the car take a file and very gently taper the edges of the throttle plate on the top and bottom. I say very gently because you don't want to take off too much, just enough to stop sticking.
__________________
Internally stock B18C-R w/ AC & PS
197.6 WHP @ 8100RPM
136.49 FT LBS @ 6250RPM
FlewByU352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:11 AM   #3
Honda-Tech Member
 
motoxxxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CT, US
Posts: 905
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to motoxxxman
Default Re: Sticking aftermarket throttle bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlewByU352 View Post
Obviously off the car take a file and very gently taper the edges of the throttle plate on the top and bottom. I say very gently because you don't want to take off too much, just enough to stop sticking.
yes. the plates are usually brass, which is very soft.
TB's are typically machined at room temp of course, and brass and alum have different expansion rates. this is why when they stick, it's usually only when the engine is heated up, but not stick when the engine is cold.

the first thing I would try though is just proper positioning of the plates. to do this, loosen the screws holding the plates on while the TB is full closed. make sure the shaft is at full closed position, try jiggling the plates around if they will at all, then just re-tighten the screws making sure the shaft is at full closed position the entire time.
reason I suggest the above is because the plates need to be fully centered to close properly, and if they aren't they will drag on one edge and stick. and there's usually some wiggle room in the screw holes, allowing the plate to shift a bit when screws are loose, allowing for placement adjustment
__________________
90 Prelude Si 2.08L 9.7:1 turbo purpose-built for autocross
motoxxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 3,322
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to Runnerdown
Default Re: Sticking aftermarket throttle bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post

the first thing I would try though is just proper positioning of the plates. to do this, loosen the screws holding the plates on while the TB is full closed. make sure the shaft is at full closed position, try jiggling the plates around if they will at all, then just re-tighten the screws making sure the shaft is at full closed position the entire time.
reason I suggest the above is because the plates need to be fully centered to close properly, and if they aren't they will drag on one edge and stick. and there's usually some wiggle room in the screw holes, allowing the plate to shift a bit when screws are loose, allowing for placement adjustment
Many of the throttle bodies I have seen have staked on screws that can't be removed. I tried that on an older omni unit and broke one of the screws with very little effort. Examine them closely before you try this.
Runnerdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member
 
frostwhite_92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 298
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Sticking aftermarket throttle bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxxxman View Post
yes. the plates are usually brass, which is very soft.
TB's are typically machined at room temp of course, and brass and alum have different expansion rates. this is why when they stick, it's usually only when the engine is heated up, but not stick when the engine is cold.

the first thing I would try though is just proper positioning of the plates. to do this, loosen the screws holding the plates on while the TB is full closed. make sure the shaft is at full closed position, try jiggling the plates around if they will at all, then just re-tighten the screws making sure the shaft is at full closed position the entire time.
reason I suggest the above is because the plates need to be fully centered to close properly, and if they aren't they will drag on one edge and stick. and there's usually some wiggle room in the screw holes, allowing the plate to shift a bit when screws are loose, allowing for placement adjustment
Do you mean the screws on the shaft that the throttle body plate is riding on?
__________________
1991 Acura NSX
Looking for 2000 Citrus Insight and 2002 GPW S2000 with all red interior.
Will pay finder's fee. No heavily modified and/or salvage junk.
frostwhite_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
Honda-Tech Member
 
motoxxxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: CT, US
Posts: 905
iTrader Rating: (0)
Send a message via AIM to motoxxxman
Default Re: Sticking aftermarket throttle bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostwhite_92 View Post
Do you mean the screws on the shaft that the throttle body plate is riding on?
yes, the screws that attach the plate to the shaft.
most screws are staked, so take notice of the post above mentioning that. I've never had an issue with staked screws getting damaged, they loosen just fine for me. but you should still heed the warning of course.
__________________
90 Prelude Si 2.08L 9.7:1 turbo purpose-built for autocross
motoxxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Honda-Tech Member
 
frostwhite_92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 298
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Sticking aftermarket throttle bodies

Update:

Took off the throttle body, and saw that the blade was way out-of-round vs. the bore.

Took some 50 grit sandpaper and sanded around the bore, then finished it with steel wool.

It cleared up 90% of the sticking problems.

It still sticks when the car is really hot, I'm assuming that is thermal-distortion/warpage.

As an FYI, I was at my friend's warehouse and we took out (for comparison) the following:

(a) Skunk Alpha 70 mm - super smooth operation
(b) Skunk (billet) 70 mm - smooth
(c) Skunk (billet) 74 mm - you could already here it catching

But none of them felt or sounded as crappy as the Blox unit. They really need to step up their QC.
__________________
1991 Acura NSX
Looking for 2000 Citrus Insight and 2002 GPW S2000 with all red interior.
Will pay finder's fee. No heavily modified and/or salvage junk.
frostwhite_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
RIP Honda Tuning Magazine
 
EsotericImage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 4,567
iTrader Rating: (8)
Default Re: Sticking aftermarket throttle bodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostwhite_92 View Post
Update:

Took off the throttle body, and saw that the blade was way out-of-round vs. the bore.

Took some 50 grit sandpaper and sanded around the bore, then finished it with steel wool.

It cleared up 90% of the sticking problems.

It still sticks when the car is really hot, I'm assuming that is thermal-distortion/warpage.

As an FYI, I was at my friend's warehouse and we took out (for comparison) the following:

(a) Skunk Alpha 70 mm - super smooth operation
(b) Skunk (billet) 70 mm - smooth
(c) Skunk (billet) 74 mm - you could already here it catching

But none of them felt or sounded as crappy as the Blox unit. They really need to step up their QC.
why am I not surprised?

I think everyone in cali should collect all their defective parts and leave at their front door during BLOXFEST
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikgrau325is
People try so hard to be unique, they lose their sense of style
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/e...013_road_rage/

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ode_checklist/
EsotericImage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Honda-Tech Member
 
raverx3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: sea,WA in my car
Posts: 4,376
iTrader Rating: (0)
Default Re: Sticking aftermarket throttle bodies

ive been using omnipower tbs for about 4 years now with no problems

the ones from phearable.net. their cheapest ones to be specific.

many people( including me) do not know that throttle plate on most of those throttle bodies should not close all the way

I thought so too when I adjusted my throttle plate shut and was having idle problems

phearable.net emailed back to me saying that they are set where they are for a reason and I shouldn't mess with the adjusting screw...
so I set it back to where it was


plus:
how hard is it to actually pull off the intake pipe and clean the damn throttle body at least once a year.

or maybe every 6 months
__________________
200whp/137tq, GSR pr3 pistons 81.5mm, supertech valves,milled .015
BC3+ cams,RDXinj,PrfrmrX 70mmTB,SRI with vstack tb and im portmatched
Tri-y rep. hdr 2.5 xhst vibrant mfflr, neptune RTP,205/50/16 tire
raverx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 
submit to reddit
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Problem setting idle and Throttle Position Sensor. OMNI Throttle Body import-tooner Tech/Misc 3 07-19-2013 07:39 AM
b16 with s2000 throttle body idle problem bradabu Honda Civic/Del Sol (1992 - 2000) 3 03-21-2011 06:13 AM
64mm throttle body DelSolMarine Forced Induction 6 01-17-2011 03:16 PM
weird idle throttle problem on Dc1 1.6 integra soch lezor Acura Integra 2 04-04-2009 10:00 PM
holes inside throttle body... GroundZer0 336 Honda CRX / EF Civic (1988-1991) 9 03-31-2005 08:34 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:40 AM.



2014 Copyright, InternetBrands Inc.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 AC1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Honda and the Honda marquee are registered trademarks of the American Honda Motor Company, Inc. Neither American Honda Motor Company nor its subsidiaries or affiliates shall bear any responsibility for Honda-Tech.com content, comments, or advertising. Honda-Tech.com is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Company in any way. American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Honda-Tech.com in any way. Copyright/trademark/sales mark infringements are not intended or implied.
Emails & Contact Details