Wheel and Tire

Winter tires in warm weather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter tires in warm weather?

How bad is warm weather on winter tires, such as 60+ degrees Fahrenheit? I'm currently running the blizzak ws-50. Looking into the Goodyear gsd3's just cant quite afford them yet. Curious if the weather is going to cause premature tire damage, shorten tread life etc.

thanks.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Winter tires in warm weather? (Bjorn20)

it'll just casue the tires to wear faster thats all, nothing major, if you keep the miles down and only drive when need to it wont wear them enough to notice.

Are they studded or normal winters?
Old 04-24-2008, 07:15 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Winter tires in warm weather? (GriFFIthS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GriFFIthS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it'll just casue the tires to wear faster thats all, nothing major, if you keep the miles down and only drive when need to it wont wear them enough to notice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They don't even wear unusually faster. However, winter tires don't give as much treadlife as some other tires, so if you put on X thousand miles, that will be a greater percentage of their lifespan.

Also, the Blizzaks have a multi-cell compound that acts like a sponge to soak up moisture, which is what makes them so good on ice. However, the multi-cell compound is only the outer portion (55 percent, I think) of the usable tread. So you will be using up the best part of the winter tire, the one most capable of dealing with winter conditions.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GriFFIthS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are they studded or normal winters?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The WS-50 is a studless winter tire.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Winter tires in warm weather? (nsxtasy)

Well thats a relief.

On another note, after putting those ws-50's through a decent Minnesota winter, i honestly wasn't too impressed with their, "snow/ice" traction". Any snow on the ground at all, i had very little control over the vehicle, the only thing nice about them that i experienced was the braking performance. They never locked up or slid on snow/ice surfaces, but other than that I really didn't like this tire at all.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:37 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Default Re: Winter tires in warm weather? (Bjorn20)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bjorn20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">after putting those ws-50's through a decent Minnesota winter, i honestly wasn't too impressed with their, "snow/ice" traction". Any snow on the ground at all, i had very little control over the vehicle, the only thing nice about them that i experienced was the braking performance. They never locked up or slid on snow/ice surfaces, but other than that I really didn't like this tire at all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

On snow and ice, they grip better than other tires. But you can't expect them to grip like other tires do in warmer weather. When you're on snow and ice, your traction is reduced, period, no matter what tires you have.