Wheel and Tire

replacing tires question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing tires question

i want to replace my rear tires because the tires are almost bad, but i dont want to replace my front tires because there is still alot of tread on them . all of the tires on the car are the same, meaning all bought and used at the same time . i rotated them maybe every 6 months, and the camber is the same all around, but any reason why the rear tires wore out much faster than the front tires ?

also, would it be a problem if my front tires size are 215/45/17, and i changed rear tires to 205/45/17 ? would the difference in sizes affect anything ? this is on a 94 accord by the way .
Old 04-28-2006, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: replacing tires question (tonezilla)

Yes it will certainly have an effect on the handling of the car but more importantly it is not normal for the rear to wear off faster then front on a fwd. I would get an alignment done asap. I think it's your toe that is completely out and toe can eat your tires up in a couple days much faster then camber.

Dave
Old 04-29-2006, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: replacing tires question (93SiVtec677)

well, i already got an alignment about 2 months ago and the toe was set to about 0 +/- 0.1, so i dont think that the alignment is the problem . but maybe it's just me and i didnt check my tires when i last rotated them, so maybe the tires were already wore down while it was in the front when i switched it back to the rear . but i guess i just wanted to know in general whether the tires wore down quicker in the front or the rear, or if the tires are supposed to wear down equally all around . but to my other question, so using different tire sizes will definitely affect the handling, but is it a big or small difference ? and is it dangerous ?

Modified by tonezilla at 11:14 AM 4/30/2006
Old 05-01-2006, 03:57 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: replacing tires question (tonezilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonezilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i want to replace my rear tires because the tires are almost bad, but i dont want to replace my front tires because there is still alot of tread on them . all of the tires on the car are the same, meaning all bought and used at the same time . i rotated them maybe every 6 months, and the camber is the same all around, but any reason why the rear tires wore out much faster than the front tires ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dave answered your question. On a properly-aligned front wheel drive car, the front tires normally wear faster than the rear tires. If the rear tires wore faster, then either you have an alignment problem, or a suspension problem. If it's possible you just got confused and your front tires wore faster, that's normal.

If you want to even out your tire wear, you should always rotate the tires so that you put the ones with more tread on the front.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonezilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">using different tire sizes will definitely affect the handling, but is it a big or small difference ? and is it dangerous ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think it will be big enough to worry about. I would use different sizes if you have a set of four tires that are the wrong size (say, 215/45-17) and two of them are bald, and you want to replace those two with the proper size (which is 205/45-17 on a '94 Accord) and keep using the two tires with tread until they get used up, and then switch those to 205/45-17 also. I hate to throw out tires that still have decent tread on them...

Note - in that case, I might leave the two wrong-sized tires on the front, just so that I can use them up faster.