Wheel and Tire

offset tire size and stretch question?????may sound dumb but need to know

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default offset tire size and stretch question?????may sound dumb but need to know

Well i am ordering a set of wheels with a +15 offset.they are 15x8 and my car is very very low.so i figured a stretch would help with any rub concerns.I was wondering what the proper width of a tire would be.And to add to that i am wanting them to be stretched.can any tire shop do this or is this a special procedure that can onlybe done by certain shops?
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

15x8 +15's will be near impossible to fit without rolled fenders and camber, regardless of the tire size.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (toyomatt84)

i have camber and rolling the fenders is no problem.But what about the tire size and stretch question?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 AM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I would say something like 195/40's might work, but it'd be a tough call.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i havent ever seen a 40 series tire in a 15.and is there anything special about stretching a tire or can any tire shop do it.Is it just putting a skinny tire on a wide wheel or does it have to be attatched somehow?
Old 05-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toyomatt84 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">15x8 +15's will be near impossible to fit without rolled fenders and camber, regardless of the tire size.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

195/45 will do
Old 05-29-2007, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (jdmcrx_echelon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmcrx_echelon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i havent ever seen a 40 series tire in a 15.and is there anything special about stretching a tire or can any tire shop do it.Is it just putting a skinny tire on a wide wheel or does it have to be attatched somehow?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The tire pressure will keep the tire seated, so it really is just a matter of getting the skinny tire to form the initial seal. And yes, any shop willing to ignore customer safety will do it for you. (If they mount a tire on a wheel size not approved by the tire manufacturer, they are ignoring customer safety.)

I've used old bicycle inner tubes, wrapped around the tread like a tourniquet with a pry bar to twist it, to compress the tire a bit and help with the initial seating while putting pressure in the tire. However, heh, have fun moving clear fast enough if your hand slips off the pry bar.

I would also strongly recommend that you do not mount a tire on a skinnier wheel than the tire manufacturer specifies as acceptable for the tire. Having "been there, done that" on low riders, it sure seemed like the tires blow out a whole lot more than if you use the correct sized tires. Then again, it could have been hopping a 4,000 lbs car on hydraulics that did it...

I would also recommend that you pick a tire size that keeps the total tire external diameter the same. This will preserve the accuracy of the speedometer and odometer.

If you really want the look of a stretched tire with minimal sidewall, I'd go with a 205/40-16 on a 16x8 wheel (for a CRX, other sizes for other cars). If you want to keep the 15s, I can't find a 195/45-15 that is designed to be run on a wheel wider than 7.5", so thats a call you are going to have to make. I wouldn't mount them on a 8" wheel, but others have certainly done so before.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: offset tire size and stretch question?????may sound dumb but need to know (jdmcrx_echelon)

Perhaps a dumb question......but why are you ordering such rims if you know they are going to cause you such a head ache, why not get the right sized rims that will simplify your life greatly?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: offset tire size and stretch question?????may sound dumb but need to know (old man neri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Perhaps a dumb question......but why are you ordering such rims if you know they are going to cause you such a head ache, why not get the right sized rims that will simplify your life greatly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because some people buy parts based on how they want the car to look, as opposed to doing their homework and buying parts that will allow the car to function as it was originally designed to.

In this example, he would have had to:
* Actually look up the correct tire sizes for his car, and choose one
* Check the various tire manufacturers to see who offered tires in that size
* Find wheels that allowed him to use the tires.
* Buy and install everything

Where as the "purchase for cosmetics" approach is:
* Oh, nice wheels, purchase immediately
* Oh ****, they won't fit, how do I make them fit?
* Argue with people about how the purchased wheels really aren't going to be all that bad on the car
* Try and find incorrectly sized tires that will allow the incorrectly sized wheels to be mounted on the car
* Hope everything works out in the end

Sorry, I'm snippy today. I've already contributed as much helpful information to the OP as I can. Guess it just became time to start making fun instead.

I really don't get the concept of buying the wrong parts because I want a certain look. However, thats my call for my car, and if I can help someone else do it, and they ask in a reasonable manner, I will. I still reserve the right to make fun though.