Wheel and Tire

New tires go on the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default New tires go on the rear?

Oddly enough this issue came up on BikeForums.net, in a thread about where 1 studded tire should go on a bicycle. Some dude mentioned that 2 new tires always go on the rear of a 4-wheeled vehicle, and I said that was whack. But turns out, most every tire retailer, manufacturer, etc. all say that indeed, if you replace only 2 tires, the new ones should go on the rear.

It still sounds ridiculous to me. I've had front tires lose traction in a corner, causing me to plow right off the road. Why would I want worse tires up front?

But then car manufacturers always recommend regular tire rotation, and since FWD cars especially always wear front tires faster, those more worn front tires end up on the rear after rotation is complete.

So it sounds like we all should just never rotate tires and always buy tires 2 at a time, always putting the new tires on the rear and the worn tires up front. I personally rotate my tires pretty religiously, and always replace all 4 tires at once. My front tires have more aggressive alignment settings and I simply get more tire life out of tires if I rotate them regularly. But there again that means that the more worn tires end up on the rear immediately after rotating.

Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Re: New tires go on the rear?

To be honest, it all depends on how regular your car's tire rotations are, as well as what kind of tires they are.

Sometimes, it is best to put the new tires on the rear. However, its really not that cut and dry. I would say its on a case-by-case basis.

I've always replaced all four at once, since its much safer to trust new tires then a pair of new and a pair of used.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I do, too. But when rotating the tires the more worn tires go to the back, which goes against lots of info I've found around the 'net. I rotate my tires every 5K BTW.

I read of several multi-million dollar lawsuit settlements that happened after some tire stores installed 2 new tires on the front of a customer's car, car spun out and wrecked on wet roads shortly thereafter, and the tire store or whoever installed the tires was held liable for not putting the 2 new tires on the rear of the car. Crazy.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I've read all kinds of literature (complete with diagrams) attesting to the fact new tires go on the rear. TBH I've never noticed a difference when I've changed only the fronts out and did not do a rotation.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's more so you don't go sliding out of control around a corner (hypothetical). understeer is far easier for a normal person to control than oversteer.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my older tires on the rear of my Integra, and I got into an oversteer situation when a road rage semi driver in Massachusetts forced me onto an offramp at 70 mph. In that case the oversteer was actually a good thing, but for the average driver in the average situation, understeer is safer.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I understand all that, but the mere action of rotating tires automatically puts the more worn tires on the rear, at least in the case of FWD cars. The difference probably isn't that much if you rotate every 5K miles or so. But still, the more worn tires are going on the rear, and the tires with the least tread will almost always be on the rear except for a period of time just before rotating them.

The two recommendations (new tires on rear if only buying 2, and also regular rotations) seem to contradict one another.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
The Grumpiest

I know. I try to have them installed as a set whenever possible. Right now my backs are less worn. So I guess I need to rotate them and install new rubber and they will go on the rears.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just keep rotating until all 4 are worn and get 4 new tires.

I can't stand having tires of differing age on the car. Would make it much harder to keep track of how many miles are on each tire. It's bad enough right now that I have 1 new tire (on the front right) and 3 2-year old tires, as one was replaced for free due to irreparable damage, using my free replacement certificate from Discount Tire.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never understood the "new tires on the rear" thing either. I have a FWD car. The 2 tires more likely to offer the most grip go on the front.

Forget understeer vs oversteer. My car carries 62% of the weight on the front. Whatever tires will have the most grip should be put where they can best contribute to braking performance, and the rear tires are practically worthless.

However, before tires are fully broken in they offer absolutely terrible grip, as the mold release compounds slowly work their way out of the rubber. This is the only explanation I can think of for the "new tires in the rear" recommendation.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
The Grumpiest

Tirerack says
ntuition suggests that since the front tires wore out first and because there is still about half of the tread remaining on the rear tires, the new tires should be installed on the front axle. This will provide more wet and wintry traction; and by the time the front tires have worn out for the second time, the rear tires will be worn out, too. However in this case, intuition isn't right...and following it can be downright dangerous.

If the front tires have significantly less tread depth than the rear tires, the front tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the rear tires. While this will cause the vehicle to understeer (the vehicle wants to continue driving straight ahead), understeer is relatively easy to control because releasing the gas pedal will slow the vehicle and help the driver maintain control.

However, if the front tires have significantly more tread depth than the rear tires, the rear tires will begin to hydroplane and lose traction on wet roads before the fronts. This will cause the vehicle to oversteer (the vehicle will want to spin). Oversteer is far more difficult to control and in addition to the initial distress felt when the rear of the car starts sliding, quickly releasing the gas pedal in an attempt to slow down may actually make it more difficult for the driver to regain control, possibly causing a complete spinout.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good point about braking though. It seems like most accidents are mitigated/avoided by braking rather than steering.

Oh well everybody should just be replacing all four tires at once. I also HATE having tires of different age on the car.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yup exactly. I got this one new tire on free replacement, and I figure when the other tires wear out I'll get 4 new, and keep this one as a spare in case I ever have another tire damage incident that can't be repaired.