Wheel and Tire

Lug nuts dont fit the holes on my rims... what now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lug nuts dont fit the holes on my rims... what now?

Ok, so I just got some new wheels for my teg and I got them off wheelsnext.com. I specified the wheels for my car and they sent them and the wheels look great. Anyways, they have a universal lug pattern and every rim I've had with a universal 4 lug pattern, the studs have fit into the larger of the two sets of holes. Well this one didn't. And now I have studs that barely come into the lug holes on the wheels and I have lug nuts that are too large to really thread onto the studs. They do thread on but maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the distance they're supposed to. Is there any one who has had this same problem? Maybe thinner lug nuts? If it comes to it, I don't want to get extended studs so I'd probably be forced to sell the rims which haven't even touched the ground yet.

Name:  wheel1.jpg
Views: 10043
Size:  41.3 KB

This is what it looks like with the wheels mounted and the lugs hand almost, but not fully tightened.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:48 AM

anyone?
Old 03-01-2008, 11:55 AM

Default Re: (89sparks)

turn your wheel and put the studs through the correct hole. the other bolt hole is bored out to fit the LUGNUTS
Old 03-01-2008, 12:05 PM

the other sets of holes is a different pattern offset, they don't fit in those holes... hence my problem
Old 03-01-2008, 02:38 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lug nuts dont fit the holes on my rims... what now? (89sparks)

Okay, I'm not sure exactly what the reason is, but I'll tell you a few things right away.

First, you need at least six or seven full turns (some people say six, some say seven) on the lug nuts for them to hold the wheel on securely. If you don't have that many turns, DON'T DRIVE THE CAR. I don't know exactly why you wouldn't have that many turns, but don't drive it anyway, okay?

There are a couple of possible reasons why the studs/lugs don't stick out of the wheel as far. One is that the centerbore is too small to fit over the hub easily. The centerbore is the big hole in the very center of the wheel. If it's too small, it would prevent the wheel from seating itself on the hub, and it would stick out. That's my guess of what's happening. It's also possible, but unlikely, that the lugs are too short, that the wheel is too thick, or that the lug pattern is still slightly off, but those are other possible reasons.

It's hard to tell from the photo whether the centerbore is the problem, because of those center caps. You may want to remove the center caps and then try mounting the wheels, to see whether or not there is clearance for the centerbore to fit around the hub, or if the hub is bigger than the centerbore and preventing the wheel from seating properly (which is my guess about what's happening).

I suggest you figure out why the lugs aren't sticking out enough, and NOT just go for extended lugs. If the centerbore is the problem, then extended lugs are not the answer; if you want to do it right, you need to either have the centerbore bored out to the proper diameter, or else get wheels with a big enough centerbore. (If the wheels are actually too thick, then yes, extended studs will fix it, but I doubt that's what's happening.)

Don't forget that you need lug nuts with a tapered seating area for aftermarket rims, different from the stock lug nuts with the ball-shaped seat for Honda/Acura rims. See more details and illustrations in the FAQ topic stickied at the top of this forum.

HTH
Old 03-01-2008, 03:02 PM

nsxtasy, thanks for the detailed respons. I checked out the centerbore and thats not the problem, the rims are seating perfectly flush to the hub. I was looking at the smaller holes in comparison to the larger holes and besides the obvious differences, it looks that the bottom of the taper on the smaller holes doesnt start as close to the hub as the larger holes, leaving more metal mass between the seat of the lugs and the hub for the smaller holes. Also, I do believe that the lug nuts I'm using don't have the right taper degree as whats in the rims.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:35 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89sparks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I checked out the centerbore and thats not the problem, the rims are seating perfectly flush to the hub.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That rules that out...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89sparks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was looking at the smaller holes in comparison to the larger holes and besides the obvious differences, it looks that the bottom of the taper on the smaller holes doesnt start as close to the hub as the larger holes, leaving more metal mass between the seat of the lugs and the hub for the smaller holes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure why they would do that, but I'm not questioning what you say. &lt; shrug &gt;

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89sparks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I do believe that the lug nuts I'm using don't have the right taper degree as whats in the rims. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You may want to buy some lug nuts then - even just a few to test the fitment to see where you go now. You can get cheap ones at the auto parts store. Then you can see how many turns you have on them; again, if it's less than six, you're going to have to do something to fix that.

Good luck.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:53 PM

alright, I'll try that out and see what happens
Old 03-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need new slim lug nuts that can be purchaed at oreillys or autozone

they are alot skinnier than regular lug nuts

the lug studs are sticking out fine, those wheels just require different lug nuts

heres a pic of mine, i dont have 1 of the actual lug nut, cant find 1 online either
Old 03-02-2008, 04:04 PM

are the 4x100 holes significantly smaller then the 4x114 holes?
Old 03-02-2008, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89sparks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are the 4x100 holes significantly smaller then the 4x114 holes? </TD></TR></TABLE>it appears that they are .. just use tuner lug nuts. you can buy them almost anywhere nowadays. my friend bought his from discount tire for $16 including the key
Old 03-02-2008, 04:26 PM

well if im going to get different lugs, im going to get some decent ones. Will the rays extended lugs fit?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no i dont believe so, those kinda of lug nuts, and the popular 1's prolly will not fit due to the shape of the head where it sits on the wheel, its too fat and will not fit into the wheel hole
Old 03-02-2008, 06:35 PM

any out there which you guys prefer or have had experience with which would fit these wheels?
Old 03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 89sparks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if i'm going to get different lugs, im going to get some decent ones. Will the rays extended lugs fit? </TD></TR></TABLE> muteki, kyogen(sp?) are all pretty much teh same as gorilla lugs...and use the same key<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ironcheftony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no i don't believe so, those kinda of lug nuts, and the popular 1's prolly will not fit due to the shape of the head where it sits on the wheel, its too fat and will not fit into the wheel hole</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree..it seems your only choice maybe this kind :

or these :