Wheel and Tire

goodyear eagle gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default goodyear eagle gt

i just bought two of there and there is no rotation arrow on them it says this side facing out i was gonna put them on the back but im not sure which direction they are
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: goodyear eagle gt

bump
Old 03-15-2009, 03:17 PM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Eagle GT is not directional, so it can rotate in either direction. However, it is asymmetric, so you need to mount them on the wheels as indicated, with the proper side facing out.

Stickied at the top of this forum is a topic:

Forum Rules and FAQ - READ BEFORE POSTING

It says:

Originally Posted by Forum Rules and FAQ - READ BEFORE POSTING
Tires FAQ

How should I rotate my tires?

That depends on whether your tires are directional and/or asymmetric.

Directional Tires

The Yokohama ES100 is a good example of a directional tire:

Directional tires are designed to rotate in a specific direction - usually, so that in rain, water is channeled from the center of the tread to both outer edges as the car travels in a forward direction. Directional tires have an arrow on the sidewall to indicate the direction in which the tires should rotate when the car goes forward.

When a directional tire is mounted on the wheel, it is done so that it can be used on one side of the car. The arrow shows whether the tire is mounted as a left tire or a right tire. Usually, directional tires are only rotated between front and back, remaining on the same side of the car. If you wanted to move it to the other side of the car, for best rain performance, you need to "flip" the tire on the rim in order to maintain the proper directionality.

Asymmetric tires

The Falken Azenis RT-615 pictured here:

has an asymmetric construction. Tires designed for maximum performance on dry pavement are typically designed this way, with larger tread blocks on the outside edge of the tread than the inside, to help to maximize cornering ability. Asymmetric tires have markings on the sidewall indicating whether each side should face in or out.

When an asymmetric tire is mounted on the wheel, as long as the proper side faces out, it can be used on either side of the car. You can (and should) rotate the tires from one side of the car to the other, without dismounting them from the rims; that will even out the wear the best. This can be done by using the "criss cross pattern". One pair crosses the car and the other pair moves to the other end of the car on the same side. The drive axle tires normally stay on the same side of the car, and the non-drive axle moves to the other side of the car. On a front-wheel-drive car, this means:

Left front moves to left rear
Right front moves to right rear
Left rear moves to right front
Right rear moves to left front

Directional and Asymmetric Tires

A few tires are both directional and asymmetric. Such tires are designed to be used on one specific side of the car, and you need to order different tires, with different part numbers, for a "left tire" or a "right tire". If your car uses the same size tires in the front as in the rear, you can rotate the tires front to back, like other directional tires, but if they are asymmetric, you should not "flip" them on the rim to use them on the other side of the car.

Tires That Are Neither Directional nor Asymmetric

Many tires, particularly all-season tires, are neither directional (they are non-directional) nor asymmetric (they are symmetric). They can rotate in either direction and be mounted on either side of the car. They should be rotated in the same "criss-cross pattern" as noted above for asymmetric tires; however, if the tread wear is not uniform across the width of the tread, you can flip such tires on the rim to even out the wear.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i got 2 of these off of ebay with 9/32 of tread for 100 bucks and they aim differently but both sides have the meat facing out. i could of sworn i seen a car with all of them facing the same direction.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^What nsx stated. Had those last year on my car the only complaint is for some reason they wear out quick and aren't the greatest in the snow.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The tires are asymmetrical as nsxtasy stated. They can be rotated in any pattern as the inside will always be inside and the outside will always be outside. Being you wont be mounting them on your rims anyways it shouldn't concern you too much. Any tire installer with 3 brain cells will install them on the rims correctly for you. If anybody has seen these tires facing any differently, then they were not properly mounted.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

best all-season tires i have ever used...
Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

mmmmmmn i thought these would do better than the general UHPs i had in the snow
Old 09-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've not experienced nor heard of these tires doing too well in the winter nor longevity. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S Pluses are far better all-season tires.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:18 AM
H-T Order of Merit

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeppdogg
mmmmmmn i thought these would do better than the general UHPs i had in the snow
They do. The Tire Rack considers the UHP a summer tire.

Originally Posted by CountDracura
I've not experienced nor heard of these tires doing too well in the winter nor longevity. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S Pluses are far better all-season tires.
Actually, like most all-season tires, the Eagle GT does reasonably well in winter and lasts a reasonably long time. The Michelin is a good tire too, but has one big problem: it's horrendously expensive.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

goodyear eagle gt's do good in the snow/wet traction.. I actually like it better vs the azenis for straightline traction... And tread life is awesome, rated at around 400-420..