Wheel and Tire

94 del Sol steering tugs to right and left

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey just bought a 94 del sol, this thing is a ditch bitch! First off, its got 17" wheels with tires that are gonna need to be replaced soon. I dont have the stock ones. At any speed, fast or slow it will randomly tug, or dart to either the right or left. I will try to explain my best. Sometimes it seems this is caused by hitting a bump or the crown in the road (the crowns here are real bad) but it feels like something in the front end is completely gone. Im not sure how to check the front end on one of these. I read somewhere that aftermarket wheels can cause this. Where is a good jack point, then do i just lift one side and try to find any kind of play in the wheel, back and forth, put a bar underneath it?? Same as a pickup?? What do you guys think? Its really bad I have to fight it to keep it in a straight line, then sometimes it cruises fine, so its making me paranoid to say the least I have to pay strict attention to the road and even that doesn't help cuz its like it has a mind of its own. Then sometimes coming to a stop it will do it but i know its not the brakes because it does it going down the road too...And like i said this is at any speed. Also idk if it has power steering or not and how would i check this? If it does have power steering it is the shittiest power steering i have ever felt, lol. But any insight would be greatly appreciated, i would probably go play around with it but its cold and the driveway's covered in ice so if i knew how to check the front end and the front end is tight then it must be the rims right?? ANd if so why does it do this?

Originally Posted by 77chev7777
Sometimes it seems this is caused by hitting a bump or the crown in the road (the crowns here are real bad)
But it wont just dart it would send the car over the crown and into the ditch on the other side of the road..And I have to fight it straight until it decides to come out of it, then it will either do it again or go towards the other ditch...And it feels like if you were going 55 with your hand in the 12 o'clock position imagine gripping the wheel and dropping it to 3 or 4 o clock

sometimes it just feels funky with inconsistent pull sometimes its a violent tug the left or right and sometimes its not "violent" but still quite bad...Hope this helps diagnose possible causes

Last edited by toyomatt84; 01-09-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: There is an "Edit post" feature on this site.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:52 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 94 del Sol steering tugs to right and left

Not once did I hear "alignment" or "wheel balance" mentioned.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check tire pressure too
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow fast reply thanks a lot!! K here's the thing i'm pretty sure if the tires were out of balance it would vibrate, not cause a steering hiatus (correct me if im wrong) And the alignment, if it was bad the steering would pull CONSISTENTLY to one side or the other, not RANDOMLY and as violent as it does (again correct me if im wrong) Ive driven a lot of vehicles and ones with bad alignment and steering issues and ever felt one this bad. This thing drives like **** compared to my 77 chevy 4x4 haha...Doesn't make sense. But i dont wanna go get it aligned if that's not the problem

Again, tire pressure, could be off but I can't stress enough how violent and how randomly it pulls. Ive had a culmination of bad alignment, unbalanced tires (big 35s at that) And different pressure in my pickup and it wasn't as bad as this. Sure it would be noticable but this is quite serious. And like i said it is inconsistent, it could go to the right or left pretty much on a whim

Last edited by toyomatt84; 01-09-2012 at 06:04 PM. Reason: There is an "Edit post" feature on this site.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:12 AM
The Grumpiest

It should all be done regardless. And while you're at it check the wheel bearings. Even inspect the steering rack.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ya i know It's just too cold to tinker right now, I dont have an air compressor I was wondering if this was a common issue with these cars when you put rims on them a lot of people said it went right away when they put the stock ones back on Aside from the severe tugging like that the front end feels tight from the drivers perspective

What is the procedure to check the bearings and the rack

And would wheel bearings or a rack cause the darting Ive described?

Last edited by toyomatt84; 01-09-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: There is an "Edit post" feature on this site.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be caused by poor alignment, specifically tie rod ends, or even a bent subframe.. when you say ditch bitch, do you mean it was driven or slid into a ditch? that could def bend a subframe and cause this.. turn your wheel straight and go look at both of your front wheels, see if they're both facing straight
Old 01-07-2012, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

By ditch bitch i just meant it wants to go in the ditch, on either side of the road. Like hand on the wheel at 12o'clock position then just drop it to 3 o clock when you're driving down the road (know what i mean? ) Not that you'd do this but thats what it feels like you're doing.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:21 AM
The Grumpiest

I was wondering if this was a common issue with these cars
No it's not. Looks like you bought someone else's project.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When you say if the wheels are facing straight. I will go check but when its doing this it feels like they are wandering or fighting eachother

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
No it's not. Looks like you bought someone else's project.
I traded someone for my project, lol. It's ok, just need it fixed and if its something i can do myself it would help save me some loot i dont have

ANd what were these guys talking about that said it went away when they put their stock wheels back on? Not that that really makes sense to me but i dont think they are lying...

Last edited by toyomatt84; 01-09-2012 at 06:05 PM. Reason: There is an "Edit post" feature on this site.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
The Grumpiest

That would probably be unbalanced tires/wheels. Like I said.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Weird I never would have thought Unbalanced tires would cause steering issues. News to me, well ok, thanks for the input, if anyone else wants to chime in Please do i'd greatly appreciate it!! Still curious about the aftermarket wheels

And also if they wre unbalanced they would definitely vibrate..which they do not do

I COULD BE WRONG but just sayin...Hey could you tell me how to check the front end and how to check the rack???

Then i could at least weed out tie rods, bearings and ball joints, and i could check the pressure while im at it.

C'mon the temp is dropping outside!!!!! hah

grumblemarc could you tell me how to check the front end? Do you just jack it up and check for wheel play??? OR is it different this is my first FWD

Last edited by toyomatt84; 01-09-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: There is an "Edit post" feature on this site.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Are the front tires unevenly worn?

Put the front end up on stands and check your tie rods, ball joints, struts, and lower control arm bushings.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also wheres a good jack point
The more info the better so i dont have to roll around in the snow for any longer than necessary

Yes tires unevenly worn is a good possibility not sure to be honest they are packed with snow. when i get a little more info im gonna go outside and check some stuff out weed out the non possibilities

and Ron do i have to put it on stands or can i just check one side a time with the jack like the shop does..like i said my first fwd thats how they do camaros and such for inspection

Last edited by toyomatt84; 01-09-2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: There is an "Edit post" feature on this site.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

These are for the Civic, though the Del Sol is probably similar:

Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and Ron do i have to put it on stands or can i just check one side a time with the jack like the shop does..like i said my first fwd thats how they do camaros and such for inspection

Checking one at a time should also work.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you. Where would the ps pump be located?? Thinking I have no power steering.. This would help contribute to the darting???
Old 01-07-2012, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The power steering pump and its fluid reservoir are located adjacent to the driver's side headlight.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

UGH you rule man!! Gonna bundle up and go check out a few things i will let you guys know how it goes in 20 mins or so...If it was unbalanced tires id have no way of knowing unless i took it to a shop. i really want to avoid that at all costs at the moment before i do that because right now that doesnt make sense to me
Old 01-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Unbalanced tires is an unlikely cause of your problem.

These diagrams may also help:

Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you SOO much for the diagrams GOOD HELP IS HARD TO COME BY!!!!

Heres the synopsys
No power steering, tires are definitely on their way out They are packed with snow so i cant tell if they are unevenly worn or not but there is a small amount of weather checking on the sidewall.
********for the Front end what i did was jack one side up till the wheel was 2-4 inches off the ground, grabbed both sides of the wheel at 3oclock and 9oclock back and forth there was a tiny amount of play on both sides, you could see the cv shafts absorb the play..this seemed normal to me but maybe im wrong? I put a bar under the tire and tried up and down, both sides solid. I think the front end is good.

DID I CHECK IT RIGHT??

********for the Front end what i did was jack one side up till the wheel was 2-4 inches off the ground, grabbed both sides of the wheel at 3oclock and 9oclock back and forth there was a tiny amount of play on both sides, you could see the cv shafts absorb the play..this seemed normal to me but maybe im wrong? I put a bar under the tire and tried up and down, both sides solid. I think the front end is good.

Also Id trade the 17s with tires for some steelies with good tires...trade my nice rims for your nice tires.. if anyones interested im located in northern Maine

if someone could tell me if im checking the front end properly that would be sweet, thanks

Last edited by toyomatt84; 01-09-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: There is an "Edit post" feature on this site.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also Id trade the 17s with tires for some steelies with good tires...trade my nice rims for your nice tires.. if anyones interested im located in northern Maine
Post this^ in the H-T Marketplace.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you carefully inspect the tie rods, ball joints, and bushings? If all looks fine, the problem could be unevenly worn tires.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Did you carefully inspect the tie rods, ball joints, and bushings? If all looks fine, the problem could be unevenly worn tires.
I did not. By this do you mean visually? How do i check them. COULD someone please just tell me the proper way to check them..its dark out now
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Grasp the tie rods tightly with your hand. Is there any free play?

Visually inspect the upper and lower ball joints and lower control arm bushings.

Post pictures of the tire wear.

If all above is fine, have the alignment checked.

Quick Reply: 94 del Sol steering tugs to right and left