Valve Cover Venting

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Valve Cover Venting (743power)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 743power &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

honda intended for the pcv to function by allowing fresh air to enter the crankcase through the valve cover grommet connected to the intake. Dasher's thread shows that it doesn't exactly do that at all engine loads or rpm levels.

wow. . . </TD></TR></TABLE>
well im not saying your wrong. but how can the crank case pull in air thats being sucked out by the motor pulling a vacuum on it?
Old 04-09-2005, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (ferio 95)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ferio 95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the odds of any oil getting pumped out is slim to none.

1.) because oil never fills the head since gravity pulls it back down almost immediately after its lubbed the cams and valve train.

2.) if you where spraying out vast amounts of oil then it would be coming out of your breather valve going to the intake manifold.

Modified by ferio 95 at 5:25 PM 4/4/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Have you ever used this setup? Because if not you shouldn't be telling people about how much oil will get pumped out. Here's a pic of my setup:

I run a Jaz vented catch can and it definitely gets some oil in it, not tons but some. Also if you look at the underneath of the valve cover you will see that the breather tube on the back which connects to the intake pipe is under a baffle. So are the vents in the front of my valve cover...

Check the link in my sig for valve covers I think there's more pics of mine but I'm not sure...
Old 04-09-2005, 07:03 PM

Default Re: (slowegxxrevolt)

what exactly are you trying to say?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ferio 95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no its run to two bungs on the header and sucked out by the exhaust flow current. the way it works is the gases pass by the open hole so fast it creates a natural vacuum sucking it into the exhaust and out the muffler.</TD></TR></TABLE>

from what you are saying in this post you have no clue as to what you are talking about..... the pic that was posted was my boys 680whp civic and the lines are running to a catch can that is under the radiator support. you can not run the lines to the header because that is just dumb and asking for trouble.

so if you have never done this before its best not to say something and keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:55 PM

Default Re: (BoostedEG6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

from what you are saying in this post you have no clue as to what you are talking about..... the pic that was posted was my boys 680whp civic and the lines are running to a catch can that is under the radiator support. you can not run the lines to the header because that is just dumb and asking for trouble.

so if you have never done this before its best not to say something and keep your mouth shut. </TD></TR></TABLE>

looks like you dont know what youre talking about. race cars have been using exhaust to scavenge vcacuum forever

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1205181

read up
Old 04-10-2005, 08:16 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BoostedEG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so if you have never done this before its best not to say something and keep your mouth shut. </TD></TR></TABLE>
hahaha nice try to school me on something you dont no **** about. build your own car and stop talking about your buddies
Old 04-10-2005, 08:25 PM

I know alot of domestics that run crankcase evacuation through the header collector. It works well.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Re: (civicross)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know alot of domestics that run crankcase evacuation through the header collector. It works well.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow thats funny
Old 04-10-2005, 10:20 PM

Default Re: (civicross)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicross &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know alot of domestics that run crankcase evacuation through the header collector. It works well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Question for anyone who is running the valve cover vents connected to the header - does the car smoke a lot? It seems like it would since some oil will definitely blow into the exhaust...
Old 04-10-2005, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was wondering that too but i dont think its enough to notice cause my friend has a small catch can in between her valve cover and intake and in between oil changes their isnt much to empty out, at all
Old 04-11-2005, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ferio 95 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
hahaha nice try to school me on something you dont no **** about. build your own car and stop talking about your buddies </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahaha I dont have to talk about my buddies..... if you noticed I said "the car in the pic is my friends" I have built my own car so I dont need to talk about someone elses...... if you search my name you will see my car ........ and yeah I may have been wrong about the header thing but I have been building cars for a long time and I have never seen or heard of anyone doing that.... I mean if you want to go that far may as well get a vac pump nd not use exhuast
Old 04-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does the people in the fab forum always have to be this far behind to the engine-tech related topics? j/k

We have one guy saying that the crankcase needs fresh air... Nope. The way the Honda PCV systems works is that fresh air into the crankcase is the result of keeping it as a closed system. That is for enviroment issues and not the ideal thing for the engine performance.

Second of all, when you go boosted (turbo), you have to say **** all and rip the stock PCV system apart anyway. Stock Honda PCV system will not with positive manifold pressure.

Thirdly, exhaust PCV evac setups have been around for ages. Either use a catch can inline, or use the supplied Moroso oil separators.

You can use a vacuum pump, but what is does is pretty much the same as an exhaust PCV system, at least for a street vehicle. The pump sucks oil vapours and dump it out to the atmoshpere. So why pay the extra money for pump and wiring (plus the extra load to drive say another 10A at the alternator) when you can get pretty much FREE vacuum from the exhaust? Clean, simple and maintenance free.
Old 04-11-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: (Tony the Tiger)

so what is the concenus on a boosted engine? just dump it into the atmosphere? valve cover and the tank on back?
Old 04-12-2005, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (baseballinmyass)

I will post what I come up with later.......
Old 04-12-2005, 08:42 AM

hahaha I dont have to talk about my buddies..... if you noticed I said "the car in the pic is my friends" I have built my own car so I dont need to talk about someone elses...... if you search my name you will see my car ........ and yeah I may have been wrong about the header thing but I have been building cars for a long time and I have never seen or heard of anyone doing that.... I mean if you want to go that far may as well get a vac pump nd not use exhuast</TD></TR></TABLE>
i have to agree with you on the idea of using a vacuum pump. several tuners ive talked to suggest maybe wiring up a smog pump from a ford or gmc but they all seem to agree that the natural vacuum of a motor reving to 10 grand will out perform any non belt driven pump
Old 04-12-2005, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This has been one of the more informative threads I have read in a while....
Old 04-12-2005, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

This is my version:

Old 04-12-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Re: (thermal)

Ok so did you retain the original pcv hose to the intake manifold then tap another one in? Also explain the purpose of the check valve. is that like an inline catch can?
Old 04-12-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Re: (ferio 95)

check valves make sure exhaust doesnt go back up into the motor.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (ferio 95)

the only thing that I see in my mind as being wrong with going threw the exhaust is that you would think that it wouldnt really put a vac on it because it is going to run more exhaust gasses into the valve cover than what it is going to take out. That is the reason that I am running my vents to a catch can because it is going to release built up pressure and really dosnt need to have a vac on it because I dont need it. I mean the only people that I think could be bennificial (sp?) to this would be people putting out over 650+whp then you would think they would use a Vac pump...... that just makes more sense to me but hey thats just me
Old 04-12-2005, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Re: (thermal)

You really don't want to T the 2 breather lines into 1. The whole purpose of having mulitple breather lines is to get the max blowby out of the crankcase. If at all possible put in 1 bung per breather line.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Re: (msmotorsports)

Another thing is exhaust will not travel up the breather line due to the nature of airflow. Air wants to travel in the path of least resistance which woud be the exhaust opening and not the little bung for the breather line. The only way the exhaust would travel back into the head would be if the exhaust was plugged up. Exhaust vaccum works extrememly well. At first it may seem like it doesn't work but it really does wonders.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Re: (BoostedEG6)

Boostedeg.

you dont have the concept right.
when air is forced by a perpendicular, or smaller angle, tube/hole it will create a natural vacuum. not force air into it, since the actual exhaust tube is larger than the vacuum hole. path of least resistance...
Old 04-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (hybridvteceg)

hybrid:

I know what you mean and it doesn make sense it just seems to be wired to me. but like I said. I know with my set up and alot of people out there who are looking at this is that they really dont need to worrie about the vac on the valve cover just because they really arnt making enough power to where it weould really matter that much. I will post some pics of my valve cover and how I have it running... all though the pics I have are before I relocated my catch can so keep that in mind. I have the two bungs welded on the valve cover and tapped the rear stock:

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Venting