Notices

started another manifold..a20 sidewinder

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assitch1 better be on the lookout for me jacking his next thread..
l
He definitely needs to brace that turbo very well though, and I would definitely shorten that pipe. Also, is it an illusion, or is that pipe less than 2" in diameter?
As far as the liquid intercooler, the only way I would run one of those is with below ambient intercooling. (thermoelectric with charge air bypassing the intercooler out of boost) If this intrigues you, check out killerchiller.com
Old 02-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres the old setup on the shop car.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I have to say about that manifold is, "why?"
Old 02-23-2008, 04:32 AM

Default Re: (rorik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Assitch1 better be on the lookout for me jacking his next thread..
l
He definitely needs to brace that turbo very well though, and I would definitely shorten that pipe. Also, is it an illusion, or is that pipe less than 2" in diameter?
As far as the liquid intercooler, the only way I would run one of those is with below ambient intercooling. (thermoelectric with charge air bypassing the intercooler out of boost) If this intrigues you, check out killerchiller.com</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... i'm sorry... not my intention...
your manifold looks very nice... what car is it going in?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (AssItch1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AssItch1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">indeed... good luck with that...

great idea though... im in the process of somewhat the same... here's mine..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your definetly going to need to heat wrap your starter.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AssItch1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol... i'm sorry... not my intention...
your manifold looks very nice... what car is it going in?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't care, I was just giving you ****..

As far as the manifold, it's just for whoever wants to buy it, probably someone on 3geez.com.(86-89 accord site) Everybody on there always complains about not being able to get manifolds, and I've been a member there for a while, so I decided to make one and see how long it takes to sell it.
I think your manifold looks good, but I want to know why you have your turbo over so far. Are you just trying to get the best downpipe setup, or what? I'd say if you're trying to get the compressor to line up with the charge piping/liquid ic, having a curved section of charge tubing there instead is much better than having that long pipe leading to the turbine. And then you also wouldn't have to brace it quite as well and worry as much about it's heat affecting certain other things, like the starter and radiator hose.
?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:34 PM

i'll be heatwrapping the manifold and putting a blanket over the turbo... so that'll solve most of the heat problems...

i guess i could shorten the single runner a bit... but not a whole lot since my 4" downpipe has to go throught there...
i really wanted the wastegate placement as it is... and this is very convenient for charge piping... no strange curves and stuff...

i'll be bracing the manifold where normally the front motor mount goes... but i still have to fab that up...

it all comes down to me wanting something very different than the things that are around today... i like to try new stuff.. if it doesnt work... we'll start over
Old 02-23-2008, 04:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll be the first to say it out loud...you are retarded.

You sir are doing the 3geez community no favors.

You wanna do them a favor(maybe I mean us my account might still be active) build a B series mount kit. I was gonna do that once but then I remembered that I'm lazy and don't care anymore.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's a pretty bold statement, bear molester. I would say I'm curious to know why you say this, but at the same time, I don't really care, becasue I know you're wrong. I just don't know why you have that attitude.
I did make my own b series mounts, and I've had multiple people ask me to make them, but too much fab work is involved on the car end, at least to do a decent job. If they could do the fab work, they could just build the mounts themselves.

So why exactly do you think I am doing them no favors? If something is really wrong with the manifold, I'll take it back, and refund the money.

Or do you just think the a20 itself is a waste of time? Just so you know, there was a guy on there running in the 10s on an a20. So although I chose a more modern engine myself, turboing the old one is still a viable option. Esp if you don't want to spend a lot of money. An internally stock turbo a20 will kill any normally aspirated swap, for the same money spent. And for higher hp goals, it's cast iron block does not require sleeving.
Right now there are 5 or so members with turbo builds in the works.
The real weakness with the a20 setup is the tranny. they're not as strong as the b series trannies, but whatever.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AssItch1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll be heatwrapping the manifold

I wouldn't..dramatic increase in temp of the manifold, increased thermal expansion, leads to increased failure rate..

i guess i could shorten the single runner a bit... but not a whole lot since my 4" downpipe has to go throught there...

That's what I thought you were doing, big *** downpipe..

if it doesnt work... we'll start over

We all know it'll work, it's just if something can be improved..I'm really not trying to tell you how to do anything either, I just wanted to put my 2cents in, see why you're doing it the way you are, maybe learn something too. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-24-2008, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've come to realize ManPigBearDog is just generally an angry bastard and he can't control himself.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes I know all that. I helped GM ECM Sean work on his car and I very possibly accidently spawned the obd0/1 dist swap idea with a post I made years ago. I've been inside almost every a20 ever offered in the US market and no I don't think they are worthless....at least not tottaly. By the time you swap to obd0/1 you might as well just unplug the a20 weld in a B series(or even a d) and have 14234510234129034719238749129374123412344123442314 1 affordable parts available.

So since you HAVE to swap to some sort of other ecu/m to effectively run a turbo motor why not just make an affordable mount kit so you can swap the whole damn engine over?

Don't bother trying to convince me you can run a turbo with the stock ecu either. I've tried it. It sucks.

Actually I think you should make D mounts. I did physically bolt a D series into an 87 prelude once. if you get creative you can build it so it requires no welding on the chassis. I just got distracted and never finished it.

cereally get a car with an a20 in it and fit it up your manifold on that. I bet you can get a crappy prelude/accord that doesnt run for like $200 TOPS.

Modified by ManBearPig4silly at 2:47 PM 2/24/2008
Old 02-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You helped Sean with his car? Hopefully not with that stupid ecm.
Sean was such an *******, it was unbelievable.
$550 down the drain, I had to wait months for that piece of **** ecm to arrive, while he publicly bitched, ignored my calls, emails, messages on 3geez, and tried to make me look like the bad guy. You know what his voicemail was? A sound of a toilet flushing. Real mature guy there. When the ecm finally arrived, I had to redo the entire little harness myself, Sean can't solder 2 wires together to save his life, and several outputs on the ecm didn't even work. (IAC and fuel pump relay). The software for it was such garbage, the whole thing sucked so bad, I sold it on egay for like $20.

I then contacted rywire to make me an obd-1 conversion harness, which they totally, completely, messed up and ruined. They had this product advertised on their site, but they were even less competent than Sean. They had the ecu add on harness coming out of the main harness where the passenger side headlight is! They hacked up my oem injector clips. They don't even know how to use heat shrink. Their electric tape was the cheapest **** you could find. I've never seen such stupid incompetence in my life. I talked to Ryan, let's just say the dude did not make a good impression on me. He refused to do anything, and I only asked for a partial refund.
I then made my own obd-1 conversion harness, it came out beautifully and wasn't that hard. I don't know why you think it is.

So the idea that I am somehow doing the 3geez community no favors by making them a manifold is unbelievably absurd. It's probably the best thing that site has ever seen for sale.
And it's already made, so no wait time either.

What I'm currently thinking of is just taking my manifold to a junkyard and taking pics of it on a 3g. If I can find one in South Dakota.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha yes I know Sean was an asshat 99% of the time. Just making the point that I've been involved with the a20 turbo projects. I had to re-rebuild a trans he rebuilt for me once He still owes me.

Anyway...a manifold that fits without requiring everyone who buys one to rearange their engine bay would be a decent idea although it is still like third on the list of awesomeness.

1. Ecu conversion that works.
2. B mounts that work
3. turbo kits that actually fit.

If you want to drive all the way to Story, WY my coworker has a carbed 3g that doesnt run.

The software wasnt junk it was just 10 times more complex than it really needed to be. No I didnt help develop that I told him to scrap it and convert to obd0 or 1.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think most resonable people would agree that making a manifold with no jig, car or engine and then selling it is retarded....can I get an amen?

For the record I'm not an angry bastard.

.I'm an irritated *******.
Old 02-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ManBearPig4silly)

Well, without a jig I frankly don't see how people make these mani's with any consistency. Weld quality is FAR better with a jig because of the flexibility it gives you with the runners.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ManBearPig4silly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm an irritated *******. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, for the purpose of political correctness we'll go with that...lol.
Old 02-24-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ManBearPig4silly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think most resonable people would agree that making a manifold with no jig, car or engine and then selling it is retarded....can I get an amen?

For the record I'm not an angry bastard.

.I'm an irritated *******. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, you need some preparation H. Or something.
What are you going to give me when I show a pic of it fitting on the car?
Nothing? Then stfu and have a little faith.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ManBearPig4silly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I think most resonable people would agree that making a manifold with no jig, car or engine and then selling it is retarded....
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i concur...
Old 02-25-2008, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, refer to the above post, then. keep talking ****, it only diminishes your credibilty when it fits.
Like I said, for the xxx time, I have a 3g accord. So juggle deez.
Old 02-25-2008, 07:59 PM

Yeah, what do you know Tom? Like you ever built anything

Give this guy credit, how many retards do you know who spend their 30 minutes outside the padded room welding?

Hey, you aren't the guy who's gonna build a sub woofer from aluminum are you

Just put the damn thing on a car so we can all get back to our normally scheduled programming, will ya!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:27 PM

Default Re: (gabepari)

Hater-tech ftw

Old 02-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gabepari)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gabepari &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, what do you know Tom? Like you ever built anything

Give this guy credit, how many retards do you know who spend their 30 minutes outside the padded room welding?

Hey, you aren't the guy who's gonna build a sub woofer from aluminum are you

Just put the damn thing on a car so we can all get back to our normally scheduled programming, will ya!</TD></TR></TABLE>

**** talkers.. I'm still trying to find a car. I don't exactly live in the mecca of hondas out here, in SD.

And the god damn aluminum box Will sound good.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: started another manifold..a20 sidewinder (rorik)

If you can make a relatively cheap, good manifold that requires very little modding (as in forest gump install-able) to a specialized crowd w/o options, go for it. The problem is always supply and demand. I would highly suggest making it as simple as you can, at least for "version 1.0". To simplifiy ecconomics, the best option for profit & performance is just below the middle ground.
Old 02-27-2008, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, refer to the above post, then. keep talking ****, it only diminishes your credibilty when it fits.
Like I said, for the xxx time, I have a 3g accord. So juggle deez.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man....that **** ain't gonna work!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RC000E)

I spent about 20 minutes calling junkyards today trying to find a car, no success. F it. I'll figure it out later.

Quick Reply: started another manifold..a20 sidewinder