Recent exhaust work

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 05:55 PM
OG Fabricator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Recent exhaust work

It should be noted that finding higher tooth count blades is difficult with the "chop saw" style machines due to the smaller arbor size of the non-industrial machines.
The smallest I could find was 32mm on the better blades, when my saw has a 25mm arbor.
I'm going to keep looking though. If I can't find anything, I'm going to see if the machinist can turn me a 32mm arbor I can swap in.
For me, the cut quality of a carbide blade far outweighs the convenience of the bandsaw.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Have you tried a higher teeth count blade to see if that helps them last longer in the stainless?

And when you say relatively quick, is there any way you can describe what type of service you are getting out of them per sharpening? If I don't want to/can't afford to keep blades on one of these suckers, I think I should go another direction. . .

But of course, there is the upside that I'm not doing a whole lot of work like many of you guys, and I rarely work on stainless.

i have 2 blades, when one goes in for sharpening i throw the other blade on until it goes dull. sharpening only take a week or so and cost like 25.00. the last time i have one sharpened was like 7 moths ago. they guy that sharpens these said the blades i have are for ferrous metals alot of the guys that are cutting alot of aluminum are using higher tooth counts like 100. ive never looked for any as my 80 tooth with the cutting wax does just fine. its when i get lazy and throw some sch 10 304 in there that it takes for ever to cut so i just lean on it some. thats what really makes the blades go to **** in a hurry. i would love to get a nice vertical varying speed band saw to be honest. so much stuff can go through there and if u need the cut to be like a machined surface or close to it with one of those then just throw the freshly cut surface on the belt sander real quick.

mike
Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a sub $200 bandsaw from harbor freight and it works well.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the maroon colored one? lol i have one of those in my basement, actually works well for little projects and stuff. just the gear boxes are made of brass and shatter from prolonged shock while cutting. just replace them every 89 days lol
Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use an older Bewo 14" coldsaw and had a hard time finding a good priced blade for a 32mm arbor. I ended up finding a company in quebec that had amazing prices on them and ordered 4 blades right away. They can make them to your specs too, whatever size arbor and tooth count you specify. I think I paid $130 per blade, I can check the receipt tomorrow when I get back to the shop from the holidays.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:01 AM
OG Fabricator

Originally Posted by kings_blend
I use an older Bewo 14" coldsaw and had a hard time finding a good priced blade for a 32mm arbor. I ended up finding a company in quebec that had amazing prices on them and ordered 4 blades right away. They can make them to your specs too, whatever size arbor and tooth count you specify. I think I paid $130 per blade, I can check the receipt tomorrow when I get back to the shop from the holidays.
Yes, please post it up when you get a chance please.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The company is called Nap Gladu and the blades were $131.56 each. I actually found them by accident on google. The funny thing is, they look just like the $200 blade I ordered from mcmaster carr a few months back.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys prefer a cold saw over a band saw? I've been on the fence for a while. I budgeted for a new unit this year and the horror stories of guys scrapping blades quick has kept me considering a band saw. It looks like you can get a decent American made unit for around 1500.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 5.0 Killa
You guys prefer a cold saw over a band saw? I've been on the fence for a while. I budgeted for a new unit this year and the horror stories of guys scrapping blades quick has kept me considering a band saw. It looks like you can get a decent American made unit for around 1500.
I agree with you, i would much rather have a band saw, at least for what most of us are using saws to cut, although i do not own any type of band saw but i have used them several times in the past and love the way they cut. Make very clean cuts as well. Talked to a lot of other welders about what type of saw they like best and it seems like its more of a personal preference between a cold saw and a band saw as well as what type of work you do mostly.

Ive been looking into a portable band saw for a while and decided on this one. though its not American made, its made in Italy. A local metal supermarket where i live use this brand and they like it a lot, didnt have anything bad to say about it:
http://www.hydmech.com/portable-band...ech-ph101.html

Figure since i do not weld that much but mainly for my self every now and then, i do not need some huge saw taking up space and im able to move it around easily too.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bandsaws are sllow
Old 01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im right next to a Metal Supermarkets and they have 2 large bandsaws and I can hear them swearing at the saws from next door because of the blades they go through. But they do cut through every kind of metal imaginable... Ive gotten at least 1000 cuts from my coldsaw blade and its still pretty sharp. Its only missing the tips of some teeth from letting ignorant people use it. If I had to do it again I would choose a coldsaw over a bandsaw. 90% of what I cut is tube though.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you still looking for a shop? I agree you should probably rent, but if your looking to build something let me know what approximate dimensions. My buddy does that sort of thing and maybe his way of doing it is right for you :\
Old 01-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just read through all 17 pages.. Very awesome work. Makes me wish I moved to Alberta instead of TN (I'm from Ontario) but then I might not be reading this lol.

Just amazing quality of work you do.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Amazing work! Just went through all 17 pages!

Do you sell those Aluminum mufflers you make?
Old 01-09-2011, 10:35 PM
OG Fabricator

Originally Posted by gringotegra
Amazing work! Just went through all 17 pages!

Do you sell those Aluminum mufflers you make?
Yes. Only sold a few to guys who aren't getting custom exhaust from me.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:53 PM
OG Fabricator

Aluminum fuel cell for kit car. Complicated, but still easy enough.

Fuel lines for 60's 'stang with new mod motor. Very tricky little piece, but delivered it this morning and the two fittings went on the rails nice with just fingers. Never seen this done, but thought it looked good once it was on the car.

Pic with our Canadian 2 dollar coin, the "toonie".
Old 01-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Sanji

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Holy Christmas, that is some impressive welding. Fuel line welding... never would have guessed that possible. Great work!
Old 01-12-2011, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you pressure test that with an air compressor or something?
Old 01-12-2011, 01:46 PM
OG Fabricator

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Did you pressure test that with an air compressor or something?
Yes, the fuel cell was tested with air and soapy water on all seams and fittings. This is how I tested oil storage tanks in industry for years. Works great, just have to be careful. I need to get a gauge though. Right now I carefully add air until the largest flat surface moves slightly.
This is the biggest reason I place large stitches inside the fuel cells when I build them. We used to test the oil tanks at 2lbs, pretty sure my method is more. Please, if anybody tries to do this without a gauge like me, have almost no pressure in your compressor/tank. 10-15 lbs max.

It would be hard to test the fuel lines, so he is going to test it for me with a blind fitting and pressure up the system. I have no reason to believe it would leak. It welded just fine.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The tank and lines are beauties! How many hours did you have in that tank? It looks kind of time consuming.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:47 PM
OG Fabricator

Originally Posted by sanchoem1
The tank and lines are beauties! How many hours did you have in that tank? It looks kind of time consuming.
It was. Add in 2 trips to ensure install quality, and it was time consuming. The one sent with the kit had a bunch of shortcomings, and since we had the ball, we figured we would take the time to do it the way we both saw fit. It's the challenging ones I like the most though really. Learn a few things and advance your skills. He was really good about not rushing me.
He spent over 100 hours mounting the d/s door, so he wasn't waiting on me at all.
I'll snap a pic of the car so far next time I'm over there. I still have to weld on some tabs, and fab a filler neck.(body mount)
Then, it's headers for the 500+inch Lsx motor that's going in this 2200lb rocket.
Got a bunch of things to do before them though...
69 camaro 4" exhaust for 582 BBC
GT500 headers,exhaust, and roll bar
'73 BMW rollbar and seam welding
Audi 3.0L big single 1000hp everything build
25.3 cage in mustang
and the list goes on...need more hours in a day.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Why is the design of the fuel cell full of baffles inside?
For support or to stop sloshing or what?
Old 01-13-2011, 06:36 AM
OG Fabricator

Originally Posted by overvolting
Why is the design of the fuel cell full of baffles inside?
For support or to stop sloshing or what?
Yeah, minimize sloshing. Keep fuel in and around sump.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you explain all those hose connections in the tank

i kno the two to the lext are the fill neck and breather hose for it and two more should be fuel pump and return

and is that a tube going thru the tank
Old 01-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

those are the smallest welds I've seen in a long time. Is the flow still good in the lines?

Quick Reply: Recent exhaust work