Notices

Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it?

My dad has this big sheet of metal that we can't cut with either a torch or a thermal dynamics plasma cutter. It's 1/4" thick. It looks like steel but had been outside for 10+ years and still had no rust on it. We can cut it with a cutting wheel on the gas grinder and it drills like steel. It seems to not be super hard but has a really high melting point. He got several sheets of it at the Livermore labs in the 80's when they had surplus sales all the time. A magnet sticks to it and it weighs about as much as steel. We can't figure out what it is. Does anyone have an idea? I'm beginning to think I have to take it to the fires or Mount Doom to re-forge it's shape.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (sfr4dr)

it's carbonite OMG!
Old 11-01-2004, 08:24 PM
ophdehEEzY

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (AccidentproWn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AccidentproWn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it's carbonite OMG!</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-02-2004, 07:21 AM

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (ophdehEEzY)

Stainless, it dosent cut it just melts, when you hit the o2 on a torch it blows a little through then looks like it go's out? Just melts off in clumps?
Old 11-02-2004, 07:30 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (Widebody1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Widebody1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stainless, it dosent cut it just melts, when you hit the o2 on a torch it blows a little through then looks like it go's out? Just melts off in clumps?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sfr4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we can't cut with either a torch or a thermal dynamics plasma cutter. ...A magnet sticks to it ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I heard the EPA was going to shut down Mount Doom for illegal waste runoff
Old 11-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Widebody1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stainless, it dosent cut it just melts, when you hit the o2 on a torch it blows a little through then looks like it go's out? Just melts off in clumps?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Some other people also suggested this. They said that it may look like regular steel if it's never been polished.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:57 AM

if a magnet sticks to it you should be able to cut it with a plasma cutter..

theoretically anyways

ferrous metals and some/most non ferrous metals can be cut with plasma..

operator error maybe?
Old 11-02-2004, 11:05 AM

That's a lie. I regularly cut up 7/8" with my Miller Plasma without any problems at all.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (cua0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cua0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if a magnet sticks to it you should be able to cut it with a plasma cutter..

theoretically anyways

ferrous metals and some/most non ferrous metals can be cut with plasma..

operator error maybe?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It probably wasn't error because we were cutting thicker mild steel just to make sure it was functioning alright. It was blasting through like it was nothing.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (mbpwrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mbpwrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That's a lie. I regularly cut up 7/8" with my Miller Plasma without any problems at all. </TD></TR></TABLE>

We also tried to cut it with a standard cutting torch and it would just get red hot and not bow through with the oxygen. I read somewhere that it might not cut if there is a lot of carbon in the steel.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:35 AM

You shouldn't be having a problem cutting the sheet (probably a 400 series stainless sheet) with a plasma cutter. What brand of plasma are you using and what condition are the consumables in? Are you dragging your nozzle directly along the surface? If so, you may be experiencing an affect of double arching. How good is your air filtration system on your air compressor? There are many things that could be affecting your ability to cut the sheet.
Old 11-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so is it carbonite?
Old 11-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (HamiltonRex)

You have to attach the ground clamp to the work peice
Old 11-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (legendboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by legendboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have to attach the ground clamp to the work peice </TD></TR></TABLE>

It was. I tried it in a few different places.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mbpwrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You shouldn't be having a problem cutting the sheet (probably a 400 series stainless sheet) with a plasma cutter. What brand of plasma are you using and what condition are the consumables in? Are you dragging your nozzle directly along the surface? If so, you may be experiencing an affect of double arching. How good is your air filtration system on your air compressor? There are many things that could be affecting your ability to cut the sheet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a Thermal Dynamics cutter. I varied the nozzle distance from about .25 to .5 inches. The air filtration system is questionable. I have no idea what state that's in. It was producing sufficient psi though.
Old 11-02-2004, 02:15 PM

To be able to cut stainless steel sheet efficiently you should have a very good air filter element which allows no water through the compressor and into the plasma cutter.

What model TD do you have? How often do you cut stainless and at thickness do you normally cut?
Old 11-02-2004, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mbpwrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">To be able to cut stainless steel sheet efficiently you should have a very good air filter element which allows no water through the compressor and into the plasma cutter.

What model TD do you have? How often do you cut stainless and at thickness do you normally cut?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure which model it is. I borred it from a friend. So far I've only cut mild steel. The owner told me that he has a hard time cutting stainless sometimes.
Old 11-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sfr4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's a Thermal Dynamics cutter. I varied the nozzle distance from about .25 to .5 inches. The air filtration system is questionable. I have no idea what state that's in. It was producing sufficient psi though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pull the triger and place the nozzle directly on the metal, that should definatly get it to arc (which is whats not happening) and cut. Sometimes with our thermal dynamics i have to touch the side of the tip to the work peice to get the arc started.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by legendboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Pull the triger and place the nozzle directly on the metal, that should definatly get it to arc (which is whats not happening) and cut. Sometimes with our thermal dynamics i have to touch the side of the tip to the work peice to get the arc started. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It's arcing, but just barely scratching the surface. I didn't try starting at the edge of the sheet which might be my problem. However on a sheet of mild steel that was even thicker, I was starting from the middle of the material at it was fine.
Old 11-02-2004, 08:14 PM

maybe try drilling into it a little, just make a little dimple with the drill, then try and use the plasma on it and see if it works and let me know.
that was the same thing that my friend was having when we needed to get a stud off and it wouldnt budge, had to cut it off. tried a plasma, and it just sat there on the surface and did nothing. drilled a small dimple in it, and it started cutting right through.
who knows, give it a try!
Old 11-02-2004, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sfr4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It's arcing, but just barely scratching the surface. I didn't try starting at the edge of the sheet which might be my problem. However on a sheet of mild steel that was even thicker, I was starting from the middle of the material at it was fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd check if it can cut a known mild 1/4" steel. The machine may need to go in for a check up!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

cracks me up that all u guys keep suggesting that its stainless even though he said a magnet sticks to it....
Old 11-03-2004, 01:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (HamiltonRex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HamiltonRex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so is it carbonite?</TD></TR></TABLE>
sure if you are from the lost city of the jedi!
Old 11-03-2004, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (fab1)

hey i dont know what carbonite is, i did a search for 'carbonite' came up with nothing. Just trying to learn something here
Old 11-03-2004, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it? (fab1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fab1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sure if you are from the lost city of the jedi! </TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA..... i agree..... simple Altavista search...... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbonite
Thats funny ****!

Quick Reply: Plasma Cutter can't cut my metal. What is it?