NEW PICTURE OF MY 4g63 CRX

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (95delsolz6)

surprised no one has mentioned crank walk......lol

ninja edit: then again if these things are as cheap as you guys make them sound, you could just throw it away and get a new one for 99cents plus fries and a drink
Old 09-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the engine looks like its quite a bit further foward then the stock engine.. or is that because of how much bigger it is than the original engine?

pretty cool though im suprised there arent people hating on you because its not a honda engine... and im glad u just did it instead of putting invisible barriers for yourself...
Old 09-18-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (C9A1L1L)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C9A1L1L &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

6 bolts don't crank walk.

Kthx_bye</TD></TR></TABLE>

years ago i looked into buying an eclipse......i researched it and was turned off by the whole crank walk issue which has even been documented in the newer generations excluding EVO X for obvious reasons. Now all jokes aside, props for being different....however my concern is this. If i remember correctly, the 7 bolt has a sensor that shuts the engine down when tolerances exceed the limits ie when the crank begins to "walk".....the 6 bolt doesn't have this sensor and allows the motor to continue running for longer periods without problem.....does this mean that the issue has disappeared or is not there??? id be interested to see a 6 bolt torn down after a time and see ....correct me if im wrong, im always open to being educated.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:30 AM

Default Re: (Godspeed07)

Awesome swap original poster. How is the car drive with the extra weight in the front from the heavier motor?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MidShipCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go make your own thread this anit about your car, or your belief of what Honda engines can't make.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I love hondas, use to own an EM1, too many thieves, but honda motors can not make it churn like a 4g63 when it comes to boost. Evo's are making 1000+ awd hp on 40 to 45psi(if it were fwd that number would be even higher)

There are dozens of 600 <U>awd</U> hp pump gas evos drivin around and bushur is setting the bar with a true street car, only thing missing is the spare tire and he is still on factory brembos and 17 inch wheels, that stuff is hard to do.

http://videos.streetfire.net/v...1.htm

All motor K series is the greatest if you ask me and by far a more efficient motor, but the 4g63 combustion chamber loves boost.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (mchuang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mchuang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Awesome swap original poster. How is the car drive with the extra weight in the front from the heavier motor?

I love hondas, use to own an EM1, too many thieves, but honda motors can not make it churn like a 4g63 when it comes to boost. Evo's are making 1000+ awd hp on 40 to 45psi(if it were fwd that number would be even higher)

There are dozens of 600 <U>awd</U> hp pump gas evos drivin around and bushur is setting the bar with a true street car, only thing missing is the spare tire and he is still on factory brembos and 17 inch wheels, that stuff is hard to do.

http://videos.streetfire.net/v...1.htm

All motor K series is the greatest if you ask me and by far a more efficient motor, but the 4g63 combustion chamber loves boost.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

he doesn't have an evo motor.
but its equally as nice.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (quickda6)

Here is one Done by TJ from English Racing http://www.englishracing.net here in Camas WA about 3+ years ago... As far as i know they had to WELD axels together to make them work...

Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Default Re: (i drive a honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i drive a honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

he doesn't have an evo motor.
but its equally as nice. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I know he doesnt lol, but basically the same platform still tagged as 4g63.
Besides 6 bolt &gt; than 7 bolt evo because Shep Talon &gt; than all Evos lol.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Godspeed07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Godspeed07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

years ago i looked into buying an eclipse......i researched it and was turned off by the whole crank walk issue which has even been documented in the newer generations excluding EVO X for obvious reasons. Now all jokes aside, props for being different....however my concern is this. If i remember correctly, the 7 bolt has a sensor that shuts the engine down when tolerances exceed the limits ie when the crank begins to "walk".....the 6 bolt doesn't have this sensor and allows the motor to continue running for longer periods without problem.....does this mean that the issue has disappeared or is not there??? id be interested to see a 6 bolt torn down after a time and see ....correct me if im wrong, im always open to being educated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its one of those rumors that gets passed around and blown out of proportion...

Bottom line, no other 4 banger makes more power than a 4G.. Period. So naturally fan boys from other companies take a rumor they heard and exhagerate it to make themselves feel more adequate.

The main years known for crank walk are the 95-97 DSMs, this is when a lot changed in the company. In all reality the 2g DSMs aren't even DSMs. By 98/99 the problem was pretty much fixed. The early 7 bolts from the late 92 1g and the 93 1g didn't walk, and I have never heard of a 6 bolt walking.

But ANY car can walk, I've seen Zs, Bs, Ds, Hs, and even Fs and Ks have crank bearing issues over my years of working on them. Its just one of those things that many have heard and are misinformed about, most people don't even know wtf it means for a crank to walk...
Old 09-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So you are saying that a 4G63 is the most powerfull 4 banger out there? Are we talking about stock? or when they are built?
Old 09-19-2008, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (gringotegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gringotegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you are saying that a 4G63 is the most powerfull 4 banger out there? Are we talking about stock? or when they are built?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Both.

In its stock form a 6 bolt will take 600whp and I mean BONE STOCK BLOCK. All I added was cams. And daily drove it for 2 years on top of that.

They don't need sleeves, they don't need to be filled. They've been making big boy power forever. There are more 10s and faster DSMs driven on the street than any other 4 banger by far. And I have been around Honda three times as long as I have been building 4Gs.

For N/A power my K20 was a beast, but why go N/A if the goal is to make the most power possible?
Old 09-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not really a hater, but I've always thought mitsubishis in general had inferior build quality to the other big 3 japanese brands, honda, nissan, toyota. However, I am not saying that is the case with this particular motor, I'm just talking about the way a car's doors open and close, the way the weatherstrip seals, the way all the **** on the car works, basically how well and expensively the car is built and drives overall. I'm also not saying that is still the case with the newer mitsubishis, either. After reading this thread, and especially how much a few people on it like the 4g63, I am intrigued to find out more on how it actually compares to the popular honda motors.
Old 09-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by C9A1L1L &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The main years known for crank walk are the 95-97 DSMs, this is when a lot changed in the company. In all reality the 2g DSMs aren't even DSMs. By 98/99 the problem was pretty much fixed. The early 7 bolts from the late 92 1g and the 93 1g didn't walk, and I have never heard of a 6 bolt walking.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

learn something new everyday, ill be honest im still skeptical but thats in my nature.......good stuff none the less
Old 09-19-2008, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both.

In its stock form a 6 bolt will take 600whp and I mean BONE STOCK BLOCK. All I added was cams. And daily drove it for 2 years on top of that.

They don't need sleeves, they don't need to be filled. They've been making big boy power forever. There are more 10s and faster DSMs driven on the street than any other 4 banger by far. And I have been around Honda three times as long as I have been building 4Gs.

For N/A power my K20 was a beast, but why go N/A if the goal is to make the most power possible?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ofcourse they dont need sleeves... they arent open deck blocks.. and they are Iron blocks... and ofcourse there are more inthe 10's 95% of them are AWD... for most hondas to run 10's they need to trap over 130mph...when an AWD car can run a 10 sec pass under 130mph.. **** i jumped in my friends talon and went 10.9@128 with a 1.544 60ft... us honda guys dream of 1.5 60fts! im not doggin on them...my tunner works and probably one of the best EVO/DSM shops in the NW...they are fast no doubt but they come with their problems... Eg. Tranny's...not to mention most of them arent as reliable... but to each his own...
Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gringotegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ofcourse they dont need sleeves... they arent open deck blocks.. and they are Iron blocks... and ofcourse there are more inthe 10's 95% of them are AWD... for most hondas to run 10's they need to trap over 130mph...when an AWD car can run a 10 sec pass under 130mph.. **** i jumped in my friends talon and went 10.9@128 with a 1.544 60ft... us honda guys dream of 1.5 60fts! im not doggin on them...my tunner works and probably one of the best EVO/DSM shops in the NW...they are fast no doubt but they come with their problems... Eg. Tranny's...not to mention most of them arent as reliable... but to each his own...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oddly enough most DSMs are actually FWD, by quite a large amount at that...

Some of our fastest DSMs are FWD. There's an auto FWD one running 8.6s all day.

Next season I'll be running both FWD and AWD auto.

Everything has its pros and cons. That I truely agree with.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wanted to jump in here and give you props.

Don't trip over the haters.

edited out pointless inflamatory comment

Modified by -RedneckDave- at 1:38 PM 9/20/2008
Old 09-20-2008, 09:46 AM

not trying to hate but norwoods integra has a batten b-4 chevy 4cyl making 4000hp.
thats def a built motor
but in fairness it is "half of an Arias 500 cid Top-Fuel drag-racing V8, topped with an exotic triple-plug, four-valve-per-cylinder DOHC Batten Performance cylinder head"
Old 09-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Working

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (fastcody1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fastcody1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">not trying to hate but norwoods integra has a batten b-4 chevy 4cyl making 4000hp.
thats def a built motor
but in fairness it is "half of an Arias 500 cid Top-Fuel drag-racing V8, topped with an exotic triple-plug, four-valve-per-cylinder DOHC Batten Performance cylinder head"</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is pretty much comparing a steam engine to a nuclear reactor. Not really on the same playing field.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-RedneckDave-)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -RedneckDave- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is pretty much comparing a steam engine to a nuclear reactor. Not really on the same playing field.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL

Oddly enough most DSMs are actually FWD, by quite a large amount at that...

Some of our fastest DSMs are FWD. There's an auto FWD one running 8.6s all day.

Next season I'll be running both FWD and AWD auto.

Everything has its pros and cons. That I truely agree with. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well other than a FWD auto 4G63 Colt up here from RREV motorsports there arent any other 9 sec or faster FWD DSM's....there are a few 10 sec street driven AWD talons and 2 low 9 sec AWD's... one is Paul Nelson in his evo 8 and Jeff bush in his Talon...
Old 09-20-2008, 10:51 AM
Working

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

OK, posts were deleted lets try and keep this on topic.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gringotegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LOL

Well other than a FWD auto 4G63 Colt up here from RREV motorsports there arent any other 9 sec or faster FWD DSM's....there are a few 10 sec street driven AWD talons and 2 low 9 sec AWD's... one is Paul Nelson in his evo 8 and Jeff bush in his Talon... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Why would you make such an ignorant statement??

There are TWO LOCAL 9s (1 is DAILY DRIVEN) FWD cars here, there are numerous others. I'd advice you to think/research before you post. And I wasn't even including Colts because if I count colts and mirages there are 6 of those in NorCal alone that run consistent 9s and 10s and are street driven.

And I'm talking just local. There are many more all over. It really doesn't matter, FWD or AWD, they haul a$$.

Like I said earlier, swapping these 4G63s into HBs will catch on one day and be something like the RB26 swap in a 240 or a LS1 in a RX7.
Old 09-20-2008, 03:49 PM

Default Re: (-RedneckDave-)

you're right i'd rather have the reactor
Old 09-21-2008, 01:58 AM
Make mine whatever you want

Default Re: (fastcody1)

hahaha, just playin . There's always haters, good luck with everything though. Atleast it's somethin different
Old 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: NEW PICTURE OF MY 4g63 CRX (streetnologecrx)

[QUOTE=streetnologecrx]HTTP://STREETNOLOGE.COM

/QUOTE]

Are you planning to use a 1g ecu or 2g ecu? the reason i ask is, from the picture of the engine bay you have a 2g air mass, and stock 450 cc injectors. If you are going to uses a 1g ecu, then the 2g air mass sensor will will max out the 450 cc injectors on pump gas. Also, with a karman vortex air mass sensor ( 1g or 2g) you will need to recirculate the BoV, otherwise the car will run rich between shifts, because metered air will be vented to atmosphere, so you will now have more air than fuel. Are you planning to run the stock 14b? Otherwise good job on the transplant!!!

Modified by thetuna909 at 6:33 PM 9/21/2008
Old 09-21-2008, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Coreymdean)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Coreymdean &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it might work for you.... but i can buy motor motor mounts and axles readily available. And make plenty of horsepower with my B series, that came factory in my civic. I have been around dsm's and i have worked on there engines, and i have never been terribly impressed, Yes they are cast iron blocks, but so are sr20s, and 3sgtes. Like i said good luck maybe you have the new thing to do that is going to smoke all these honda motors, but i highly doubt it. And how can you consider modding a H or K a waste of money.... The K series is a way better motor in my opinion as well. Stock vs stock you might win but other then that i cant see it being an advantage. And can someone please show my this 1500 dollars parts list that it takes to get a dsm into the 9's</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have worked on a few car, and never in my life have I seen a cast iron sr20, as you stated. Sr20 blocks are closed deck aluminum blocks. I give credit where credit is due, and I believe that the K series motor is an amazing accomplishment, for Honda's advancement in engine development , but power per dollar ratio, the 4g63 motor that was purposed built as turbocharged factory application from Mitsubishi, has no compression, when you try to spend the least amount of money for the highest amount of horsepower output.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (thetuna909)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by thetuna909 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I have worked on a few car, and never in my life have I seen a cast iron sr20, as you stated. Sr20 blocks are closed deck aluminum blocks. I give credit where credit is due, and I believe that the K series motor is an amazing accomplishment, for Honda's advancement in engine development , but power per dollar ratio, the 4g63 motor that was purposed built as turbocharged factory application from Mitsubishi, has no compression, when you try to spend the least amount of money for the highest amount of horsepower output. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ya but you;re comaring the k series motor to a motor probably in R and d before most of us were born.

maybe compare it to someting newer?

evo x motor?

BMW m6 motor?

Quick Reply: NEW PICTURE OF MY 4g63 CRX