Notices

How about this mani? *Sketch*

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about this mani? *Sketch*

Time has come to plan the manifold....after doing some sketching, I come up with a design and like to know what you guys think. I'm trying to achieve a somewhat equal length shorty mani made of schedule 40 mild steel pipes, just do notice that the sketches aren't in perfect proportion but done with a pencil and the power of my membrains within my skull.

Btw, I plan to make the length from the exhaust mani shorter than sketch shows....
Old 01-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: How about this mani? *Sketch* (supercreed2002)

try it on autocad. Or try to be more scientific in your drawings. go to mcmaster car and they will give you a 3d profile of the bends...then use thier measurements coupled with your port spacing and area requirements...see if the pieces go together. Anything is possible when it comes to fabrication...if you find the right guy.
Old 01-26-2006, 03:50 PM

Default Re: How about this mani? *Sketch* (~RTErnie~)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ~RTErnie~ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try it on autocad. Or try to be more scientific in your drawings. go to mcmaster car and they will give you a 3d profile of the bends...then use thier measurements coupled with your port spacing and area requirements...see if the pieces go together. Anything is possible when it comes to fabrication...if you find the right guy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would do it up on autocad if I had it(taken the class for two years). I forgoet to mention that I'll be the one making my own manifold, but I was looking for you guy's opinion and advice on this design overall....thanks.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ssac
Old 01-26-2006, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How about this mani? *Sketch* (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ssac</TD></TR></TABLE>
lmfao
Old 01-26-2006, 07:50 PM

Default Re: How about this mani? *Sketch* (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ssac</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey now.... seriously though.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know youre just planning it out right now, but once you start youll realize how tricky these 90* sch pipe will work against you. you'll see you wont have much room to work with, so youll have to cheat some bends a little. at least for me it did, who knows maybe you have mad fabricating skills, and it wont affect you. go for it..itll be fun. good luck.

here how mine turned out.

Old 01-26-2006, 09:50 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^ that looks pretty good to me man good job!
Old 01-27-2006, 02:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AllmotorEH2)

Mine was supposed to be simple, similar to your design and evolved into this ^^ (right after the one i originally designed in Inventor didn't work)...

Point is.. lay out the manifold in the engine bay once you get the els.. I simply put the turbo where I wanted it and went to town.

There is only so much you can do on paper or with software...

With software, you'd have to draw the whole engine bay and engine in 3D CAD to get any sort of useable references.. but that much R&D is not worth it for a DIY ELed manifold.. just connect the dots and hope for the best like 99% of these manifold building companies do!
Old 01-27-2006, 07:04 AM

Default Re: (2point2)

If you don't mind me asking, why didn't the one you made in AutoDesk Inventor work? Did it turn out to be impossible to make, or did you simply not account for the engine compartment dimensions?

Old 01-28-2006, 12:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beepy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did it turn out to be impossible to make</TD></TR></TABLE>

You telll me! the collector was really hard to get to merge with the flange without screwing up the runners, plus you can imagine the time it would take to duplicate the collector from drawings even if i did get it to fit perfect (it was only a matter of time)

Anywya, I would have had to cut a huge hole in my hood bumper and rad to fit this style manifold. Worked perfect on paper though..
Old 01-28-2006, 07:34 AM

Default Re: (2point2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You telll me! the collector was really hard to get to merge with the flange without screwing up the runners, plus you can imagine the time it would take to duplicate the collector from drawings even if i did get it to fit perfect (it was only a matter of time)

Anywya, I would have had to cut a huge hole in my hood bumper and rad to fit this style manifold. Worked perfect on paper though.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Looks pretty good, did you use Inventor 8? Alsonote that it's a t4 flange not a t3, so that might help with the collector...
Old 01-28-2006, 02:08 PM

Default Re: (supercreed2002)

I see. You never fully constrained the drawing so you couldn't figure out where to cut. If you take a little more time to define the drawing, you can fully constrain it and then measure in the program where to cut the pipe.

Example:

I started by defining the collector. 15 degrees from vertical in both axes for a pipe, then double mirror and extrude cut to clean it up. Then I constrained all the pipes and adjusted a few parameters until it fit.

Old 01-31-2006, 10:24 AM

thanks guys, I think I decided to stick with the ram horn style turbo mani...only downside will be that it would be made of mild steel instead of SS.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:51 AM

Nothing wrong with that. Just keep the valley dry.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beepy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nothing wrong with that. Just keep the valley dry. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Cool, maybe I'll have enough spare change to get it ceramic coated....
Old 02-02-2006, 10:07 PM

alright, how many bends would be needed to make a ram horn? is it hard to make for those doing it for the first time? I'm kinda feeling some doubt, a few people think it's best to buy one instead....
Old 02-03-2006, 05:43 AM

You know what would be really nice? If we got a bunch of people together to work on getting honda parts into CAD, preferably Solidworks or Inventor. Everyone would run into a lot less trouble if they had a basic engine block with AC and PS and all, and an engine bay to work with. I am not saying that they have to be perfect, but if we had a better idea what kind of space we were dealing with, it would be alot easier to make parts. Just something I thought of because of the topic.

Good luck with the mani.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by supercreed2002 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright, how many bends would be needed to make a ram horn? is it hard to make for those doing it for the first time? I'm kinda feeling some doubt, a few people think it's best to buy one instead....</TD></TR></TABLE>

My design would need 13 elbows. 10 90° bends, 2 60° bends, 2 40° bends. It would also need about 24" of straight.

For Honda guys, there are at least 5 companies making great ramhorns. However for other makes there are zero to none. If you notice the head flange on my design is not a Honda.

As for creating a virtual engine bay, I have done this with my car. Very rudimentary. But the problem is that it is very difficult to make a 3d copy of a turbo, even just the external shape of a turbo. And there are a lot of different turbos out there.
Old 02-03-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.utdsm.org/gallery/a...r.jpg

I'd post the unwrapped pictures, but then you can really see my crappy MIG welding abilities.

I couldn't weld about half of the outside between the pipes on the collector.

You might be able to get a good weld in there if you offset the lengths on the collector. If you cut the runners closest to the motor just barely longer then the merge length, and then left the outside abotu an 1" long, you may be able to rotate everything enough to get room down the middle to weld. This should also help with hood clearance issues.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:00 AM

Default Re: (99_GS-T)

how did you guys do your collectors? that's another thing I'm worried about.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99_GS-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99_GS-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.utdsm.org/gallery/a...r.jpg
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I just finished a header up that looks similar to that about 2 or 3 weeks ago too. Did it with the tig, but I wasn't too happy with the outcome. Of course now I know what I mostly was making mistakes with. How tall was your collecter and how's the hood clearance? I'm worried that mine will only fit on the Galants and have problems with the 1g's and 2g's. If you want to take this to IM's, that's cool too.