Notices

Fabbing an exhaust cutout w/ a throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Full-Race Javier)

I'll take some picks of mine tomorrow. Mine is a manual using a lawn mower cable.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18Flip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Flip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yup i'll def do that....btw how big is the dsm tb?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

2 1/4 - 2 1/2 can't remember exactly. Was just right for my exhaust.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Full-Race Javier)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Full-Race Javier &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">some one over on sr20forums runs a tb cutout (NA application though)...bunch of pics and a vid in this thread

http://www.sr20forum.com/showt...utout</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow.. m4d vt4k
Old 09-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SHystrdyGSRtdy)

Not the best pick, sorry.

Old 09-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (snowseeker)

thanks for the pics ...can't wait to get working on it.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

made mine w/ a teg LS tb.. its controlled electronically w/ a civic cruise control actuator..
Old 09-07-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.
Default Re: (92HB_HB)

somebody do a full write up...or post the links to one
Old 09-08-2005, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92HB_HB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">made mine w/ a teg LS tb.. its controlled electronically w/ a civic cruise control actuator.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how is it setup? Its a sweet idea
Old 09-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowseeker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not the best pick, sorry.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

i may have to try this out..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92HB_HB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">made mine w/ a teg LS tb.. its controlled electronically w/ a civic cruise control actuator.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats pretty damn cleaver
Old 09-09-2005, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u guys wanna get out of the K.I.S.S rule for a lil how about using some sort of boost actuator to open it?

this way u can have it open at a certain boost setting
Old 09-09-2005, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alloutmotor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alloutmotor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if u guys wanna get out of the K.I.S.S rule for a lil how about using some sort of boost actuator to open it?

this way u can have it open at a certain boost setting</TD></TR></TABLE>

i know atp has those, but i heard they were really slow to open and are huge lol.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by snowseeker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll take some picks of mine tomorrow. Mine is a manual using a lawn mower cable. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Great idea and info

Where did you run the cable to and how are you locking it to run it open?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b00sted4dr)

The cable control is right behind my shifter on a plate with nitrous toggles and whatnot.

The lawn mower cable control has a notch in it when fully open. Just enugh to hold the butterfly open. The spring on the throttle body help keep it closed tight.
Old 09-15-2005, 06:36 AM

Im going to have to try this. How long have you been running yours? My only concern would be exhaust leaks down the line.

Thanks for the reply
Old 09-15-2005, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b00sted4dr)

I haven't ran mine at all yet.

I have done one for a friend that is a dailly driver and he hasn't had any leaks or problems yet. He just noticed that if you don't use it for awhile that it kinda sticks when you are trying to get it open.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about this idea! Im going to try this on my car.
I want to control the TB that is used as a Cutout together with the original TB cable. So there will be another cable attached to the orignial TB cable.
So any time i on WOT the second cable will open up the Cutout TB for maximum flow and better spool up time.
Or you can even attach the secondary cable on the gas pedal and adjust it so than it will only open full when you are on WOT
Old 10-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crazy_eddy)

what cars have a 3" throttle body?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A mustang is the closest to 3" that I can think of off the top of my head. I think there only in the upper 60 mil range, maybe 70 mil, im not certain.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phatrick2332)

Bump to a great topic. I plan on using a b16 throttle body for mine. I have an all-motor setup though, so i'm running 2.5". The b16 t-body will be perfectly sized. The tricky part will be making a smooth trasition "Y" off the exhaust without ruining the flow. I plan to make it cable actuated manually. That cruise control actuator is genius though
Old 10-23-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IMO, the electronic cut outs just make the tuning process more complicated.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

IMO, the electronic cut outs just make the tuning process more complicated. </TD></TR></TABLE>
That looks hella nice and clean.

Care to explain how and what? :D sorry noob on this
Old 10-24-2005, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Bryson)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bryson &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[img]
IMO, the electronic cut outs just make the tuning process more complicated. </TD></TR></TABLE>
why do you say that...just tune it w/ the open dp....get everything perfect...then close the dp and tune it for fuel efficency....using one of xenocron's dual chip setups you can run both w/ fuel efficency & power....

for ex&gt; say your going out drivin knowing your going to open the dp....switch to the open dp map and go driving....even if your going to drive a lil while closed dp youll just run a lil rich...the only reason you have to suffice the fuel efficency to drive around on the map is because you cant switch maps w/o shutting off the car....if you can flip between maps on the fly then it be as easy as setting up a relay to swith the roms when you activated your e-cutout

and personally i think atps cutouts are pointless...yes they open up under boost to give your a less restrictive exh...but i think most people running open dp wouldnt be only for the power...but increased spool times....

w/ my hx35 setup...i hit full boost (15psi) closed dp at about 5k....w/ open dp i hit it about 4k....that 1000 rpm makes all the difference
Old 10-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (FlyLO)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FlyLO &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
That looks hella nice and clean.

Care to explain how and what? :D sorry noob on this</TD></TR></TABLE>

ATP turbo. It just hooks up to a boost source, and opens in proportion to boost.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumking15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
why do you say that...just tune it w/ the open dp....get everything perfect...then close the dp and tune it for fuel efficency....using one of xenocron's dual chip setups you can run both w/ fuel efficency & power....

for ex&gt; say your going out drivin knowing your going to open the dp....switch to the open dp map and go driving....even if your going to drive a lil while closed dp youll just run a lil rich...the only reason you have to suffice the fuel efficency to drive around on the map is because you cant switch maps w/o shutting off the car....if you can flip between maps on the fly then it be as easy as setting up a relay to swith the roms when you activated your e-cutout

and personally i think atps cutouts are pointless...yes they open up under boost to give your a less restrictive exh...but i think most people running open dp wouldnt be only for the power...but increased spool times....

w/ my hx35 setup...i hit full boost (15psi) closed dp at about 5k....w/ open dp i hit it about 4k....that 1000 rpm makes all the difference</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just say that because anytime you change the exhaust in anyway, you are going to effect volumetric efficency. if you change volumetric efficency your also going to change the AFRs. if you tune the car with the cutout open, its going to run rich when you boost with it closed. It's just easier to tune something that will change in proportion to boost, such as the ATP cutout. You can just tune the car with the cutout setup the way it is, because it is going to be open at full boost no matter what. This isn't to say there are exceptions to this (such as the chip method you mentioned), but personally I wouldn't use one without something like this. But then again, this is all my opinion.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya i hear ya...just letting people know it is possible...bryson where were you when a kid was arguing w/ me that a ecutout wasnt going to effect a/f's...kid was a noob but still somepeople think that just beacause the exh is after the motor it wont effect the motor itself....and on a sidenote even at most i see about a .5 a/f difference between open and closed dp....so driving around a lil while rich isnt all that bad....id rather be rich than lean
Old 10-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18Flip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">eh i'm going to try it out, it seems that it has worked out for the people who have tried it</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ryan, use a spare cruise control unit for opening and closing it. It would be pretty slow, but that **** works for opening and closing the TB all day. I am going to do this if I do a turbo setup on the s2k.

Quick Reply: Fabbing an exhaust cutout w/ a throttle body