Notices

Bondo HS All Purpose Fiberglass Resin = Polyester?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bondo HS All Purpose Fiberglass Resin = Polyester?

I have used Cargroom Fiberglass resin for the bottom part of my fiberglass subwoofer enclosure for my 99 civic (ex 4dr). I stretched the fleece over it and used that also. Now im in the process of fiberglassing the top so i can finish it to carpet it. I bought a gallon of Bondo All-Purpose Fiberglass Resin at Home Depot. I talked to the body shop where I got the Cargroom stuff at and they said(as well with ppl on here also) that if the bondo stuff is a polyester resin then it will be compatible with the Cargroom resin.

My question is the Bondo HS All-Purpose Fiberglass Resin a polyester compound? Both data sheets say "40-50% styrene" for both the bondo and the cargroom brand. Im just makin sure that the Bondo is polyester b4 i use it. I dont want to ruin the project iv allready started

By the way im not mixing these. All of the Carbroom brand of fiberglass resin has all cured.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:42 PM

i use bondo brand resin all the time,but ive never seen any that said all purpose or hs but what i use is polyester as is most all resin you will find at a parts store unless you gat it from a composites supplyer, but it should say its poly somewhere on the can

oh and if your foundation mold for the enclosure is cured already make sure you sand off the wax from around the edges before you strech your fabric over the top
Old 01-13-2006, 10:15 PM

Default Re: (integrawhat)

THe fleece is allready stretched and cured. I did remove all the wax and all that junk from the mold tho b4 i stretched it all over

Ill go look on the can. The HS is the Bondo Home SOlutions All Purpose Fiberglass resin. I think it is the same stuff as their automotive kind, they both have the exact same content of styrene and their data sheets are almost identical. the only part that i saw that is different is the data sheet numbers.

Also the Bondo Home solutions hardener is exactly the same as their automotive fiberglass hardener.(i checked their data sheets also).
Old 01-13-2006, 10:43 PM

Default Re: (silentblackhat)

yeah they should be the same then but y did you get the hs is it any cheaper than the auto stuff
Old 01-13-2006, 11:11 PM

Its the Gallon size of the home solutions. The automotive stuff is only in the quart sizes. The Gallon was $34 total with tax. the same of the auto stuff would be the quart($10.94) times 4 = $46.82. so its cheaper getting the gallon.
Old 01-13-2006, 11:28 PM

ive always bought the automotive buy the gallon for about 30 if anyone can tell me where to buy larger amounts like around 10 gallons that would be great
Old 01-13-2006, 11:55 PM

where do u get the gallon size at? I live in Olathe, Kansas(Kansas City) and i cant find any marine store or anyother places that are suggested to buy a gallon size at. Home Depot is that only place that I have found.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:10 AM

auto zone, pep boys, advanced auto parts, i dont know if you guys have meijers, but theres a walmart everywhere (they both sell it) i usualy buy out one stores supply then go to the next most parts stores should sell it in the gallon but if not the hs stuff sounds like the same thing evercoat is another good brand and i like there body fillers a lot better (rage gold) they dont shrink as much as some of the bondo fillers do.

you said you were going to carpet your enclosure are you just using regular box carpet or are you goin to use vinyl? you should post some pics when you get finished ive painted every enclosure ive made id like to see how one looks covered.
Old 01-14-2006, 12:16 AM

Im goin with the carpet. Im gonna check a few custom shops in town to see what they sell for carpet. If none are what im looking for, im going to get the carpet at http://www.partsexpress.com/pe...0-765

Ill definately post some pics when I am done. I am hoping to get done by tomorrow night. I will have all day to work on it.

Evercoat Rage Gold is very good stuff . i Have a gallon of that stuff that i will use to make the box smooth after sanding(well and sanding the rage gold down also)...i also have their spotting compound for pinholes and all which i wont need to worry about since im carpeting it.

I really think this install will be very functional(letting me use my trunk space, using the space i wouldnt use at all anyways) and will look good also. we'll see!
I know that the Advance Autoparts Walmart and Auto Zone where i live dont sell the gallon size but they do carry the quart size. I will check Oreillys Auto Parts tomorrow tho. I shall try to think of other places b4 i crack open the HS gallon tho but im sure it will work fine with what i have now. I also have a quart of the bondo fiberglass resin in my garage that i am making tweeter pod mounts for. i kinda put that off to the side to do my sub enclosure first

Modified by silentblackhat at 7:46 AM 1/14/2006
Old 01-14-2006, 12:37 AM

if your going to cover it you shouldnt need to do much sanding at all and def shouldnt need to use any filler just make sure you use something that streches in both directions to make sure it will contour to the face of the enclosure

did you use any fiberglass mat at all or just fleece and what are you goin to use to thicken/strengthen the "walls"
Old 01-14-2006, 07:04 AM

Just fleece to stretch over, i allready have some fiberglass on it allready supporting the walls tho, its just the brand of resin ran out so i posted this to make sure it was polyester also so i could open it and finish it today.