Notices

alternator delima

Old 07-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternator delima

due to space, fabracation constraints on my h series build, my alternator is going to have to be driven off of the p/s pump pulley section on the crank pulley. (because this section of the pulley is also smaller width wise i need to use a d series alt. pulley)

My problem with this is that after throwing some numbers around, i figured out that at idle the alternator will be spinning about 700rpm slower than stock and it only multiplies from there (almost 7000rpm loss at 7500rpm).

So the questions are:
1) will the drastic loss of rpm at the alt. effect my ignition firing etc..?

2) who knows someone that can make custom pulleys. Or better yet does anyone think that ati, fluidampr or any other damper company could put a bigger pulley on this section of their damper? Or is the pulley section a part of the cast?

i will be calling ati and fluidampr tomorrow, but was just looking for other options, opinions, and ideas until then

Modified by b16hybridsol at 4:46 PM 7/2/2006
Old 07-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alternator delima (b16hybridsol)

The alternator needs a minimum rpm to start charging.At idle you probably won't have that minimum.The ecu make throw a cel thinking the charging system is bad.You will only be running off the battery.

ATI and Fluidamper will do a custom pulley but it may take some time.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: alternator delima (NJIN BUILDR)

Any consideration to rear mounting the alternator and using a Dseries alternator due to smaller size?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alternator delima (RC000E)

frame rail is in the way, and after more measurements, the bigger pulley won;t fit either because of the frame rail.

I've kinda got the room to run it off of the original spot, the problem is that the alt will sit literally 1/4-3/8s of an inch away from the #1 runner. which would probably lead to me buing a new alt everytime i take the car out ha. so at this point in time i'm stuck
Old 07-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Banned

i'm running nearly 1:1 on my alternator and pulley.

i put in a 3.5" alternator pulley a few years ago for scca IT racing and added an underpulley this year. my 85 stock alternator puts out over 40 Amps at 3000 alternator rpm's or ~1000 engine rpm's.

check out the power vs. rpm's curve for your car. i don't think you are really talking about a problem unless you are lugging it around in town in night with a huge amp.

tom
Old 07-03-2006, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you have a small amount of clearance bewtween your alternator and the frame rail, but its not quite enough, is that right?

can you take some pictures. listen to me very carefully. WE CAN MAKE IT WORK!!!! i am the macguyver of automobiles. give me some pics and i will give you a solution that beats buying a new pulley.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alternator delima (Mr.E.G.)

a couple shitty pics for from a few weeks ago right now, i'll grab more tomorrow when i tack the manifold back up

these just show how tight it all is the alternator sits right under the compressor sideabout 3/8ths or so away from the #1 runner

Old 07-03-2006, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

part of me is joking and part of me thinks this is a good idea

but here is a suggestion.

weld together a custom mount for your alternator to your front cross member. then run a torque tube that is held in place by a carrier bearing assembly. use an extra long belt and drive the alternator off of the factory pulleys. you could run the torque tube under your turbo manifold.

ok i know that is a little over the top. ill come up with something else when you post up some more pics.

if you could mount it to the block it would be more feasible since my method requires uber stiff motor mounts.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

can you not fit a d-series alternator down low where the AC compressor would go?

how stiff are your mounts?

THERE'S ALWAYS A WAY..
Old 07-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alternator delima (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Any consideration to rear mounting the alternator and using a Dseries alternator due to smaller size?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm waiting for someone to be brave enough to try this.. I dont see a huge issue with running one off of the half-shaft (other than making a pully of some kind..)
Old 07-04-2006, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah if you've got some place on the rear of the block that you can mount it to, just make a custom mount problem solved.

maybe you could redesign your turbo mainfold?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: alternator delima (2point2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm waiting for someone to be brave enough to try this.. I dont see a huge issue with running one off of the half-shaft (other than making a pully of some kind..)</TD></TR></TABLE>

what about at idle?

the torque tube idea is good but i don't want to run solid mounts, i've got the newer billet hasports

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can you not fit a d-series alternator down low where the AC compressor would go?

how stiff are your mounts?

THERE'S ALWAYS A WAY.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

the d series alt isn't much smaller at all, and if i go down any lower, its just goign to sit closer to the manifold thats why i made the little turn in on the runner.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tom91ita &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm running nearly 1:1 on my alternator and pulley.

i put in a 3.5" alternator pulley a few years ago for scca IT racing and added an underpulley this year. my 85 stock alternator puts out over 40 Amps at 3000 alternator rpm's or ~1000 engine rpm's.

check out the power vs. rpm's curve for your car. i don't think you are really talking about a problem unless you are lugging it around in town in night with a huge amp.

tom</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats interesting running off the p/s section with the d series pulley i would have about a 1.63:1 ratio. where as stock is about 2.53.

the thing that bothers me though is the car has HIDs and is driven fairly regularly, given the weather. And its setup to make alot of power so i don't want to rob my ignition of any power
Old 07-04-2006, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mr.E.G.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.E.G. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah if you've got some place on the rear of the block that you can mount it to, just make a custom mount problem solved.

maybe you could redesign your turbo mainfold?</TD></TR></TABLE>

to rear mount the alt i would have to notch the frame rail which i don't want to do at this point in time.

the thing with the manifold is there aren't to many other ways i can do it. 1) the turbo takes up alot of room. 2) its a divided tang setup, so runner lengths and placement are key. 3) setup utilizes 2 wastegates (1gate per collector), so both the collectors have to be exposed
Old 07-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (b16hybridsol)

well what if you mounted the alternator to front of the transmission with a custom mount that ties into the structral integrity of the tranny mount? and then you could run the troque tube setup without having to worry about the solid mounts.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

4" dp = no room by the tranny
Old 07-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no one ever likes my ideas..
Old 07-04-2006, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2point2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2point2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no one ever likes my ideas.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b16hybridsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">4" dp = no room by the tranny</TD></TR></TABLE>

does the down pipe go in front of the tranny or behind it?

before i throw out any more half *** suggestions i should probably wait for the next round of pics
Old 07-05-2006, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pics suck, its been a long day and i'm slightly inhebriated... sue me ha. This gives you the general idea though. This is the h series alt. positioned for its original portion on thecrank pulley. As of now i'm thinking a custom damper is the way to go.

still need to call the damper companies
Old 07-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What about a custom mounting above the drivers side mount, or in front of it where the power steering bottle and windshield bottle go. Alternator from other cars, GM's and ****, maybe have something that'll work for that rotation and location. Attach the mounting to drivers mount so it moves with the motor, or use the power steering bracket location to turn it around. Just line up your pulleys and search for a belt that'll work.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: (RC000E)

Give these guys a holler and see what they can do for you. Maybe the lower d-series setup will work for your setup http://www.explicitspeedperfor....html
Old 07-08-2006, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about a custom mounting above the drivers side mount,</TD></TR></TABLE>

i like that idea

Old 07-08-2006, 10:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about a custom mounting above the drivers side mount, or in front of it where the power steering bottle and windshield bottle go. Alternator from other cars, GM's and ****, maybe have something that'll work for that rotation and location. Attach the mounting to drivers mount so it moves with the motor, or use the power steering bracket location to turn it around. Just line up your pulleys and search for a belt that'll work.</TD></TR></TABLE>

goodnews, i have the clearence to do such a thing. Only problem is finding a reverse rotating alternator thats the same size as the d series and configuring somekind of idler pulley setup. i'll start dicking with it tomorrow, anyone know of an alternator like this (more model specific if possible)?

thanks for the input
Old 07-09-2006, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Junkyard bro....domestics have always spun clockwise as far as I know. Older grand am's, cav's, cutlass calais, something has to have a small one.

Just make sure you cut the belt and spin the pulley before you spend 30 minutes wrenchin at a U-pull-it Also, don't forget to grab the plugs for the alternator that you decide to use so you can wire it into your harness.

Why an idler setup? Why not just keep it simple and make the mounting like a stock D. Use some leverage then tighten in place. Keep it simple if you ask me.

Hope it works out....post some pics. If you hit the junkyard and do your own fab, it'd probably be a pretty cheap setup.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we don't have the u pull yards around here because of the liability issues. Can't even go back in the yards to check anything out