1977 XS650 turbocharged fuel injected project

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1977 XS650 turbocharged fuel injected project

keep up the good work. i can't wait to see the finished project. i wanna see it all up and running, injected, boosted, etc. should be awesome to ride.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys. Well as someone pointed out on another forum the way I had the lower shock mounted it couldn't travel through it's stroke properly! Bah! I hate it when I do stuff like that, but sometimes it takes another perspective to point stuff out.

Anyway, I redid the lower mounting point, you can see it here:

These ears will be boxed for strength, but I'm out of Argon at the moment. Also, mounting the shock like this is a bit of a bummer because it makes the shock almost entirely upright, we'll see how much that affects it when I ride it. Also in that pic you can see I cut the side tubes back and capped them.

The good thing that came out of this is that I had to redo the upper shock mount. I didn't like what I had going before anyway. I kind of stole the mounting idea from The KTM or Ducati style:

For the tube where the shock itself mounts I took some 7/8" stock and drilled it for the proper bolt size, then inserted it into the 1 1/8" tubing and welded it into place on both sides. Then I slash cut the ends for looks. I've just got a random bolt in it right now, but once the final bolt is in place it'll almost be hidden. I'm pretty happy with the look.

Also, I received my headlight today. For being a knock-off of a plastic part, I'm extremely pleased with this thing. Well worth the money. Also I had this complicated and fancy mounting system I was going to make because I was sure the factory mounting stuff was crap. Anyway, I installed it with the factory stuff, and I love it! It's exactly what I wanted and I'm super pleased with the look. For the price I really couldn't have done any better.

Thanks for looking
Sky
Old 05-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're wondering what I've been doing lately I've switched over to working on the electrical side of things:

Megasquirt engine management

Soldering isn't too hard, reminds me a lot of welding actually. Lots of time and patience is needed though. Here it is all finished up (except for the boost control, I haven't wired that in yet.)

I'm crazy excited about this thing. Seriously, the bike itself is almost secondary to this device. It's going to be a steep learning curve, but I couldn't be more excited to get started! Now I just need to get the bike finished up so I can use it
Old 05-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I built a megasquirt II also. All it takes is lots of reading and time. looking good mayne!
Old 05-30-2010, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

builds lookin sick!! GL on the rest seems it will go just fine for u...hope i can find the thread when ur done with it
Old 06-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Little update:

So my wife is out of town for a week or so, so I've got some time to work in the garage

My list of things I want to accomplish before she comes back:
Finish intake manifold
mount intercooler
Make intercooler piping

So I started working on the intake more last night. I decided not to use the round tubing I had before, instead I went with a box style intake. here's pictures from yesterday and today:

Intake tubes welded on the inside

Outside

Everything is a very tight fit, but it should work great.

Also, I need to weld some tabs on the bottom that connect to the stock upper mount to give it some stability.

My aluminum welding is getting better, It's still kinda globby, but practice makes perfect I guess.

Stayed tuned I should have plenty more updates over the next few days!

thanks
Sky
Old 06-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awesome project.
i'm messing around with a 77 Cb750 supersport right now.

Doing some nice work. i just don't think the tail flows with the rest of the bike though.

maybe something like this. ala single Cafe / SRAD tail.
Attached Images  
Old 06-12-2010, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Greatings from the Neon world. Watched your other great build and want to comment and ask on this one. It all looks great and nice choice on the throttlebody. Being a fellow MS geek here's what I wonder. Is there a reason you went with the MS2 instead of just getting the Microsquirt? Are you running just fuel or spark also? Do you plan on dyno tuning or trying to tune on the street?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zymurgyjwt
Is there a reason you went with the MS2 instead of just getting the Microsquirt? Are you running just fuel or spark also? Do you plan on dyno tuning or trying to tune on the street?
Couple of reasons. Both money

The microsquirt is considerably more expensive, and also you have to buy the MAP sensor separately so that's even more money.

Plus The microsquirt units come assembled and I wanted to build mine myself. This way if something does go wrong I might have a chance at fixing it myself instead of sending it off.

Yep running both fuel and spark. My plan is conservative tuning and lots and lots of datalogging. It's ok though, I've got time

Putting it on a dyno is a goal of mine though. Maybe not so much for tuning but just to see what she'll make.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Got some more work done. Finally got the intercooler mounted. These brackets will have some bracing welded to them so they don't crack, but I'm pretty happy with how they came out. Now I can finally begin to make my intercooler piping.

I left the brackets a bit loose so I could fit some adhesive foam under them on the top and bottom. I might rubber mount it as well just to combat the ridiculous vibration these engines have.

Also, the blowoff valve was mounted on some tubing that was too small, so I cut it off of that pipe, reamed out the mounting flange and made a new mount in the proper size tubing.

I didn't weld it in place yet, want to finalize the position first, have to build the rest of the tube first. Here's some pictures of the proposed location though.

Thanks for looking
Sky
Old 06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

lookin good. i hope to see it finished soon
Old 06-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Trial User

Had to join this website to comment on your build. I watched you build your Triumph when I had a triumph (at least I think that was you with the triumph chopper) Watched you build your air ride xs when I bought my first XS now I see your Megasquirting your XS at the same time I'm squirting mine. Freakin hilarious. Anyway, excellent job on the build and great detail in the posts.
You had mentioned the vibration that is inherent to these bikes, have you though about rephasing. I rephased to 277. Still waiting on the $400 for the cam but I think it'll be worth it. I'm gonna Microsquirt mine (yet another $400) . I heard of one guy on a different webiste says he can get 12k rpm after the rephase. Could be the ticket with a turbo.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've loved watching your previous build and this one but one thing bugs me: Why not use mandrel bends for piping? It's not that much more expensive and the pie cuts cheapen what are otherwise awesome endeavors.
Othan than than, keep up the good work!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by a_robotham
Had to join this website to comment on your build. I watched you build your Triumph when I had a triumph (at least I think that was you with the triumph chopper) Watched you build your air ride xs when I bought my first XS now I see your Megasquirting your XS at the same time I'm squirting mine. Freakin hilarious. Anyway, excellent job on the build and great detail in the posts.
You had mentioned the vibration that is inherent to these bikes, have you though about rephasing. I rephased to 277. Still waiting on the $400 for the cam but I think it'll be worth it. I'm gonna Microsquirt mine (yet another $400) . I heard of one guy on a different webiste says he can get 12k rpm after the rephase. Could be the ticket with a turbo.
Thanks for the good words! I didn't build a triumph though so that wasn't me

I actually did think about rephasing, but there was an issue. I might be wrong but I don't think that megasquirt will run with that engine setup because it only uses batch fire or alternating fuel injection. It doesn't have sequential fuel setup yet as far as I know.

Do you have a link to your build? I always like to see interesting projects.

Originally Posted by rkeith
I've loved watching your previous build and this one but one thing bugs me: Why not use mandrel bends for piping? It's not that much more expensive and the pie cuts cheapen what are otherwise awesome endeavors.
Othan than than, keep up the good work!
You know, I went with the pie cuts on the turbo manifold because I couldn't find u-bends that had a tight enough radius. Or rather I didn't want to pay for them And then I just kind of liked the Mad-Max type look it gave the bike, so I decided to run with it. Honestly in the end it'll probably cost me more in gas and welding supplies than it would have to just buy the mandrel bends, but I still like the look.

Appreciate the good words man.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know jack about the engine you're using but I can tell you that any sort of injection/ignition timing you need can be done with MS2. There have been a few guys running full sequential on their Neons for over a year now with MS2. On a Neon it requires 2 more injector drivers, a cam input circuit, and MS2 Extra firmware.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet, thanks for the info man!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Trial User

I believe the Microsquirt has two injector drivers It should work. But I am a long ways away from Fuel injection unfortunately. All I can do is absorb all the info I can before I drive in.
I wish my build was a little similar so I could borrow you .msq but I'm using Yamaha R6 Throttle bodies. I removed the two inner throttle bodies and spaced the two outer ones to the slightly modified R6 holders. They almost bolted right up.

How long did it take to solder up your MSII? I saw a youtube video of a guy doing it in 4 hours but have hear stories of 16+ hours.

I joined the xs650.com forum and I'm planning to start a build over there. Build threads are tough especially when people want progress on a daily basis.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haven't gotten any new work done to the bike, but I did get a new tool!

So first off, I realize it's a harbor freight lathe. I got it barely used for a really good price, and for the type of work I expect to do it should be great. I'm really happy and can't wait to try it out.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I got to finish up my intercooler piping yesterday, very excited about this step because it finally means the air path system is completely tacked together! from the inlet on the turbo straight out through the exhaust it's all together. Yay!
Let me point out that I realize the sharp bend right off the turbo outlet is not conducive to power, and that's fine. I'm very pleased with how it looks. Also I made a large effort to make sure the piping did not stick out past the framerail, I think it turned out well.

Anyway, check the pics and let me know whatcha think.
thanks
Sky

Can't wait to hear that blow-off valve go off!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Every time I see such a great project with that piping I die a bit inside. It makes me want to send you a bunch of mandrel bends...
Old 07-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha, I love the pie cut madness. Besides, mandrel bends only bend in one direction, with the pie cuts, not only can I get a really tight radius, but I can turn the direction mid bend. Which I had to do with a couple of the bends on this one.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Flattery Will Get You Everywhere

damn this thing is looking good
Old 07-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

back to the progress pics:

I've been having a really tough time figuring out how to mount my rearsets. So I decided to take advantage of the factory mounting points that I had left in place (I'm glad i did that) I got a set of factory pegs:

These were a touch too long, so I took about four inches out of them

This puts the pegs in a perfect spot. I'm going to cut those pegs off and use them on my chopper redesign this winter. These mounting brackets will become the base for my ZX6R pegs.

I also got to use my lathe for the first time! When I first tried it, the lathe wasn't spinning true, there was a tiny wobble in it, which of course makes a lathe useless. Anyway I started freaking out a bit, but then I tried to tackle the problem logically. Eventually I pulled the chuck off, and found the backing plate where the holes were drilled had some small burrs still in place, so I used the lathe to face it up a bit, put the chuck back on and Voila! works like a champ.

Started making my fuel rail injector bungs. I don't really have a before shot, but just imagine some 7/8" bar stock. I cut down the outside to about 3/4", then drilled the center and bored it to 17/32" Then I chamfered the end to ease the o-ring entry. I still need to polish the inside a bit, and take some of the edge off. Overall though I'm extremely pleased with how they turned out, and I'm having a blast with this new tool.

Tapping 1/4" plate is a pain in the butt:

Still some finishing work needed before I weld it up, but it's one step closer, a million to go.

Thanks for looking
Sky
Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 AM
something different

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking fantastic man.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I've discovered the inherent flaw in using pie cuts for everything. Besides tons of welding that is. All the heat from welding, and all the little gaps added together means a lot more opportunities for the metal to pull. I finally welded up the exhaust and the turbo manifold. The turbo mani pulled almost a quarter of an inch, so I had to cut it apart again and add in a section to get it back where it needed to be. Whew, that was a lot of welding

Also I welded up the fuel rail and installed it. I still need to figure out some mounting tabs for it, but it just looks so cool in there I had to take a few pictures!

It's a tight fit for sure.

I'm optimistically about a month and a half away from starting this thing up, got to start checking things off of the list so I can accomplish that.

Welding up the intercooler piping is next.

thanks for looking
Sky

Quick Reply: 1977 XS650 turbocharged fuel injected project