My welder showed up!

Couple of pics of the work I'm doing.

Lastly, always wear your PPE!
Attached Images      
Old 02-17-2016, 09:47 PM
I'm really 2slow

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: ***WELDING RANDOM CHAT THREAD***

bout time that showed up!! lets see some welds now mate!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:21 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fast4u831
I'm hoping next Saturday .

I get off too late from work to get down to the gas shop to pick up an argon tank during the week, and they are only open on Saturdays from 8-12 and I work until 11 right now..(with a 45 min commute)

just my luck..lol.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's cool that you received your welder, I thought they were out of stock! I ordered a 2016 model to replace my 2015 model so I can play around with high freq pulse. Maybe it will come sooner than I thought... :-)
Old 02-18-2016, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I ordered mine a coulpe weeks ago along with a new hood, tungsten, filler rods, and i think Im going to pick up a stubby gas lens kit from Weld monger. It says March 11-28 est =(. I hate waiting
Old 02-18-2016, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine says something like that also, but I think when I bought my 2015 model they stated a date that was a long way out and then delivered it well before that date. It's kind of like the state the worst case scenario or something.

By the way, I have the stubby gas lens kit for the 17 flex head torch that comes with the welder, and it works great. I got a little wp9 flex head torch and an ultra-flex cable too, but really it wasn't necessary at all. The AHP accessories are night and day better than the Everlast accessories that came with my Everlast 250EX welder (that welder itself was pretty awesome, but the pedal and torch kind of sucked).
Old 02-18-2016, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Haven't had a chance to play around lately. Hopefully have a chance to finish up the design on my manifold and get it put together soon. Finished up my beater project. Just need to shorten the downpipe about an 1". It sits too low.

Still working on my aluminum welding.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:00 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

My estimated delivery date was feb 22 - mar 8.
I received it on feb 17th..so hopefully y'all receive yours early too!!

Yeah the torch/hose is pretty nice! It's pretty flexy compared to the hoses i was using at school.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
My estimated delivery date was feb 22 - mar 8.
I received it on feb 17th..so hopefully y'all receive yours early too!!

Yeah the torch/hose is pretty nice! It's pretty flexy compared to the hoses i was using at school.
Hey got it earlier than you thought. thats awesome.

I have a Longevity 200sx tig welder. It works pretty well for the price. Got it off of amazon for a steal.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Mine shipped today apparently 👍. Need to get some tube steel and start by building me a table
Old 02-20-2016, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did they give you a delivery date that is within the next week, or one of those ones that is several weeks out?
Old 02-21-2016, 07:50 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

This welder is so awesome!

Yesterday I jammed home from overtime and got to the shop 15 mins before closing time. Rented an 88cf tank, bought some tungsten and stainless filler rod.

Ran the machine on 110v all day, no problems.

I was only using 60 amps max since I was playing with some 14 gauge stainless...testing out the pulse feature, and practicing tack welds, but this machine is perfect. No hiccups, no weird oddities, it's so worth the money!! HF start works well too!
Old 02-21-2016, 08:31 AM
I'm really 2slow

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This welder is so awesome!

Yesterday I jammed home from overtime and got to the shop 15 mins before closing time. Rented an 88cf tank, bought some tungsten and stainless filler rod.

Ran the machine on 110v all day, no problems.

I was only using 60 amps max since I was playing with some 14 gauge stainless...testing out the pulse feature, and practicing tack welds, but this machine is perfect. No hiccups, no weird oddities, it's so worth the money!! HF start works well too!
Good to hear mate! I will pick one up in the future. Show us some welds when you get a chance.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2fast4u831
X2
Outstanding choice of rig Sir.
Old 02-22-2016, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine showed up today too! Welds like "butta".... But I'm not sure it welds better than my 2015 model. High freq pulse will be fun to play with though.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tjabo
Mine showed up today too! Welds like "butta".... But I'm not sure it welds better than my 2015 model. High freq pulse will be fun to play with though.
My longevity machine does not have a pulse option. What are the benifits of using such?
Old 02-23-2016, 03:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I'm not a great welder, but the pulse feature on my 2015 model helped me to really get control of my heat situation when welding the thin sections of aluminum tubes on the inside of a piecut bend. Without using pulse, I just couldn't get the heat quite low enough for easy welding and I ended up having to jam in more filler than I wanted to, just to help cool the puddle.

The high freq pulse on the 2016 model seems to really agitate the puddle, and the arc cuts down into the metal really fast so you can get rolling in a hurry. Which maybe isn't a huge benefit for me...
Old 02-23-2016, 03:21 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Originally Posted by kr3w108
My longevity machine does not have a pulse option. What are the benifits of using such?
I think it will allow me to weld aluminium cans together.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think it will allow me to weld aluminium cans together.
Never tried to weld cans together but I have welded some saftey razor blades together . My filler was too big so it was hard to not get blades to hot ..... I think I did an ok job for no pulse.....
Old 02-23-2016, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I'm not a great welder, but the pulse feature on my 2015 model helped me to really get control of my heat situation when welding the thin sections of aluminum tubes on the inside of a piecut bend. Without using pulse, I just couldn't get the heat quite low enough for easy welding and I ended up having to jam in more filler than I wanted to, just to help cool the puddle.

The high freq pulse on the 2016 model seems to really agitate the puddle, and the arc cuts down into the metal really fast so you can get rolling in a hurry. Which maybe isn't a huge benefit for me...
Just got to back off the pedal..... If part is too hot just stop all together and let it cool.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just got to back off the pedal.....
Why didn't I think of that?!?!?! Lol, JK, just being a smartass. I do appreciate suggestions!

I have read/heard that one problem with these AHP welders is that the pedal doesn't allow a very low end. In other words if you have enough pedal to have an arc, you quite often have more amps than you want if you are working the low end.

Along those lines, I've found that AC frequency makes a difference, and if you go lower than 60Hz with my 2015 model, it will allow for lower output amps. The problem is that the arc gets kind of "fluffy" when you get down there, so if you're trying to do fine work, it sort of doesn't work... The 5pps that the 2015 model allows really helped out a lot.

I did try stopping and letting the piece cool, too, but in some areas if once I would have an arc, blow-through occurred really fast without pulse. I'm considering trying a different pedal to see if there is better control of the low-end amps to be had. I have no personal experience with good pedals though, I've only tried Everlast (hated it) and AHP (like it a lot other than the low end). Do you guys have suggestions?
Old 02-23-2016, 04:40 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Never tried to weld cans together but I have welded some saftey razor blades together . My filler was too big so it was hard to not get blades to hot ..... I think I did an ok job for no pulse.....
Nice! I want to try that too.

I tried cans in school but it gets so hot so fast even with only 12 amps that it's really easy to blow through. As soon as it blows through since it's so thin it the can starts burning away really fast.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:42 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

Why didn't I think of that?!?!?! Lol, JK, just being a smartass. I do appreciate suggestions!

I have read/heard that one problem with these AHP welders is that the pedal doesn't allow a very low end. In other words if you have enough pedal to have an arc, you quite often have more amps than you want if you are working the low end.

Along those lines, I've found that AC frequency makes a difference, and if you go lower than 60Hz with my 2015 model, it will allow for lower output amps. The problem is that the arc gets kind of "fluffy" when you get down there, so if you're trying to do fine work, it sort of doesn't work... The 5pps that the 2015 model allows really helped out a lot.

I did try stopping and letting the piece cool, too, but in some areas if once I would have an arc, blow-through occurred really fast without pulse. I'm considering trying a different pedal to see if there is better control of the low-end amps to be had. I have no personal experience with good pedals though, I've only tried Everlast (hated it) and AHP (like it a lot other than the low end). Do you guys have suggestions?
Idk if it was mentioned in this thread, but there is a Miller or Lincoln pedal you can buy that fits the AHP machine. Idk which one offhand.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Idk if it was mentioned in this thread, but there is a Miller or Lincoln pedal you can buy that fits the AHP machine. Idk which one offhand.
Thanks, I will look into that!
Old 02-23-2016, 04:49 AM
-Intl Steve Krew

I assume it'll allow for better pedal modulation which would lead to better low end amperage control. Find out, buy it and let us know how it works out!

Quick Reply: ***WELDING RANDOM CHAT THREAD***