Notices
Vehicles for sale Post vehicles for sale only

FS: 400 whp 2000 EM1 Civic Si *NY*

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: FS: 400 whp 2000 EM1 Civic Si *NY* (-L@ndry-)

Just finishing up tuning the new sound system: Boston Acoustics Pro series components with all Alpine digital deck and amp - the digital stuff is lighter weight than the old mosfet designs (don't need anything slowing me down, right?). I might put the 10" sub in a custom fiberglass enclosure in the spare tire well sometime down the road.

Next is oil pan gasket change and more Autometer guages - EGT, oil pressure, and water temp on the A-pillar. Driving this thing is just kinda like playing with a toy and feels less and less like work and a lot more like fun as I get used to the incredibly stiff 6-puck clutch.

And guys, trust me, you will see some sick pics in a few weeks as I'm going to a wedding in Bozeman, which is like the most ridiculously beautiful place evAr! I'll try and get some shots off the sandstone cliffs right by my house sometime next week, so you can see where I shock and awe all the American muscle around here...

BTW, Tim, where is the dipstick located on the tranny? It seems like it might have been removed in favor of a breather cap (or it's just really hard to find on B16, at least for me! haha). I'm still getting some oil blowing through the pan gasket, which is why I'm having it replaced. Other than that, this car is a suddenly a raging beast at 6k... love the sound when the second cam is going.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FS: 400 whp 2000 EM1 Civic Si *NY* (discombob)

Dipstick on a B16? never heard of such a thing?

I constantly fought with the oil pan gasket. Be sure to only use OEM gaskets, and carefully inspect the old gasket when you take it off. You'll see that there are metal "gommets" in between the rubber of the gasket, those can stick to the bottom of the block and you'll never notice. Then when you go to put the new gasket on, you'll double up in that area and create a high spot = leak. just be sure to inspect the old gasket and the bottom of the block to make sure its a clean surface for the new gasket. Oh yea, and use the Honda liquid gasket ****, i forgot what its called.

Glad you're enjoying it!
So you came to NY to pick it up and drove her all the way home with zero issues? man that makes me feel damn good inside. She'll run strong for many many more years im sure. That clutch was a blast, i remember the day i put it in, i was like "holy f#ck!" Its an unsprung, 6 puck iron-faced monster. I carefully researched and researched before i made my clutch selection. The clutch that is in there has plenty of clamping force and torque capacity upwards of 500whp...so you should be good in that dept for awhile i imagine.

As for that second cam, woooweee! those GSR cams are perfect for boost, i swapped out the B16 cams in favor of the GSRs when i built her the second time around. If you really wanted to get more out of it, you could replace the intake cam with a CTR cam. that would gain you a few more ponies. I was never a fan of off the line power, since im fighting a losing battle from a street dig. I was always more impressed with top end power (highway run type stuff) so i tossed on that Precision SC-61. thats a monster turbo for the B16. If you look at the dyno sheet (which I have and can send you a copy of if you like) it needs the cam switch-over to help spool the turbo. but from 5500k to redline its pulling like a son of a gun! Man i used to love dropping into 3rd gear aound 60mph and just planting my right foot...nothing could touch her! I ate up C5 vettes, some 911s and a few other cars and they were quite surprised.

Shoot me an email:

TFinke@gypsumsystems.com and we can talk more!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FS: 400 whp 2000 EM1 Civic Si *NY* (Mr. Vapor)

Sounds good, man - I'll e-mail when I have something new to report or pics posted here... shouldn't be long. The car's in the shop getting the EGT/Oil pressure gauges put in and I really miss not being able to drive it today!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure they put the EGT on cyl #3!!
Old 07-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then, I asked them to do cylinder number 3 and it's finished! Just in time for rollin' on the fourth of July weekend... yeahz! I'm excited about that.

I have my new gauges in except for the water temp one which the stock threading that came with it doesn't seem to fit this block, so I'll be looking for that.

I also decided to just go ahead and order a moroso oil pan with built in oil line and that should help me out with getting rid of the JB weld scenario as well as provide a better seal under all of this boost pressure to stop the leaks... and it wasn't expensive (not compared to the gauges anyway - ouch).

Everybody is amazed at the mileage I'm getting and the paint still looks super nice. I removed the mugen sticker kit/striping and decided to go even cleaner. Just black... nice and shiny, with the silver wheels. I should have some pics of this thing on the "rims" nearby real soon.

One question though, and please shoot me straight... how long running this much power before having to replace something internal like piston rings? I'm not the greatest mechanic when it comes to having to do bottom end work... so I'm trying to figure out what my yearly average cost in maintaining this level of tune is going to be. Is there any way to know, or has the current Jeff Evan's tune not had enough mileage history to yet know?

Thanks for all your help, man! I'm absolutely enjoying driving "her"! I sent you an e-mail and no reply yet, so I hope you don't mind me continuing this thread so that people who want to buy a custom Honda hot rod know what they're getting into.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Great to hear back from you!

sad to hear you removed the stripe, i always thought that really set the car apart But alas, its not mine to decide that anymore

Im so jealous you got that oil pan, that is going to look super clean under there, and just generally make the whole install that much cleaner. very nice choice if i do say so myself (I was never happy with the jb welded oil return, but i didnt think i really had any options?

As for the tune, I put about 3,000 on the tune, and I think Damon said he put around 1,000 on it if im not mistaken? The piston rings should not be a concern until you at least click over 20,000 in my opinion. the car was tuned by one of the best tuners in the nation, on software he practically helped co-write. It was tuned with proper AFRs, proper EGTs and proper fuel maps. going off of that, id say the tune is more than safe, there should be no need to ever turn up the boost on this tune. That being said, on the AVCR you Do have the option to set two different boost maps. maybe boost setting 1 for daily driving, and boost setting 2 for more "spirited" driving

As for the paint, its all original, I (and Damon did a great job as well) really busted my *** to keep that paint mint. in my ownership it never saw snow, never was driven in rain if it was avoidable and ALWAYs garaged.

I used Jeffs Werkstatt products on it the entire life of the car and had great results ( http://www.jeffswerkstatt.com )

I got your message and I'll email you when i get back to work on tuesday

PICS PICS PICS
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Still waiting on pics from Montana!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

updates?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: FS: 400 whp 2000 EM1 Civic Si *NY* (greenjdmciv)

http://www.facebook.com/album....44624

Here's some better pics of the car without the stripes and a small hitch added in the back for my bikes (I'm a mountain biker, so this is mandatory unfortunately).

Also, the new radiator install can be seen, as well as the new autometer gauges on the a-pillar... EGT/Oil Pressure/Water Temp.

The Moroso oil pan is leaking. I've looked into it here on Honda Tech and everyone seems to think this is what they do (whacks head), so I guess I'll have to get yet another pan. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Believe it or not, I'm thinking of selling the vehicle already, even though it is awesome and I've only put another 5,000 miles on the tune. If I don't, then next spring I will be getting Neptune RTP hooked up so I can smooth out the A/F ratio down low, as it is running fairly rich since moving it 3100 ft. above sea level and occasionally will bog/stutter briefly if I stomp on it too suddenly. During those times, A/F gauge is reading about 10:1 or less (the meter is pegged rich).

What does everyone think of that? Does someone living near Montana want to buy this thing for what I paid and finish it off? I've dumped another boat-load of money into it since I got it and it is so close, but now that I see what it takes to maintain a turbo Civic, I'm not sure I have the time or even care to make it.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would ask only the $10,500 I paid, even though I just put another $3,000 into it: radiator, stereo, exhaust, oil pan, gauges.

About 67,xxx miles... about 8k on tune now. Located in Billings, Montana.

Since I drove it from NY, some of you who lived near the rockies and thought you might have wanted the car initially could take a crack at it now that it is closer. I might create another post in the classifieds, but here is the latest parts-list:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current PICS: http://www.facebook.com/album....44624

2000 Honda Civic Si
395 whp on 18 psi, 93 octane, 300 ft. above sea, tuned by Jeff Evans in Pittsburgh, PA (see dyno screenshot earlier in post)

* = things I've added since buying it from D.May. It just keeps getting better!

Precision sc61 turbo
Tial Wastegate/regulator, HKS BOV
Spearco front mount intercooler
Love fab manifold, downpipe
*Thermal 3” turbo back (tucked as neatly as a stock S2000)
*Koyo Si Dual-core racing radiator
*Moroso B-series oil pan with factory turbo oil-return port and internal baffles
Clutch Specialties 6 puck iron faced clutch
DC sports short shifter
JDM civic type R shift ****
HKS hyper ground system
Hamp Synergy bushings
Spoon thermostat
TEIN hood dampers

Decked head with line bore
Sleeves de-glazed at rebuild
Wiseco 9:1 forged pistons with swaintech coating on skirts
Wiseco rings
Eagle H-beam forged rods
ACL Race bearings
ARP Head Studs
ARP rod hardware
OEM Head gasket

Ground Control sleeves & springs
KYB adjustable struts
Comptech Sport front upper strut bar, rear under
JDM Dc2 Integra rear upper strut bar
Brembo crossed drilled, slotted rotors (all four)
Hawk pads, stainless lines

Mugen front lip
Vision Carbon type MC mirrors
JDM fogs
JDM side moldings
JDM type R headlights with city light
Shaved trunk, mugen badge
Mugen license plate bolts

Apex'I AVC-R
Apex'I turbo timer
*Five Autometer gauges; 3 a-pillar, 2 Si-cluster (Oil Pres, Coolant temp, EGT, Boost, AFR)
Pivot shift light and control
Mugen pedals

949 Racing 6UL 15” x 8”s 12.5 lbs with 7075 aluminum lugs
Hankook rs2 tires

*Boston Acoustic Pro50 components
*Alpine V-Power 75x4 amp
*Alpine IDA-x200 i-pod headunit
*Boston G1 10" sub

Modified by discombob at 3:28 PM 10/19/2008
Old 12-07-2008, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Went over the whole motor a month ago and fixed the pan leaks and inspected everything. It's running great again and I managed to get it to hold oil with the Moroso.

I'm glad to own this thing and am having fun, but my offer is still on the table to anyone who is interested. Until then, I'm just going to drive it every few days for fun only. No commuting.

Wishing you H-heads a happy holiday!

Last edited by discombob; 12-07-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was wonderin if the si is still for sale?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I have it for sale (again, hahah).

Eighties Fan had purchased a more family oriented car and me personally, well, I have decided I am done owning cars. I will be moving to a city with public transit within the year and ride my bikes almost exclusively now. I even rode a mountain bike today where I'm currently at in Montana in -10 F in the snow. Whenever I leave town, I'm always with someone or rent.

Feel free to give me a call if you're interested in the car at: 406-530-2655
Ask for Brad. Thanks.