Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Tranmissions, what do you have to say?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranmissions, what do you have to say?

Hello my fellow Honda Tech members. I知 calling on you all for some help. I am writing an article on Honda/Acura transmissions.

I知 not the smartest dude on transmissions. I would like you to take a moment and tell me whatever you can about your knowledge on transmissions, point me to hot spots of information etc. Tell me about anything. Maybe you broke a bolt while changing a transmission one time, maybe you found out a cool trick, maybe you have gone through five transmissions in one year.

Whatever it is I am interested. I can稚 do anything in return except offer my appreciation.

-JT
Old 08-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any stories out there?
Old 08-31-2008, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

I was trying another gearing setup in my 96 Civic. Y7 trans with ZC 3rd, stock Y7 3rd as 4th, and SRR 4.714 FD. I was in a hurry putting it back together and cross threaded the interlock guide bolt. My friend and I decided one day after work to go on a road trip to my grandparents lake house in Missouri. We quickly packed and left. We were 100 or so miles away from St. Louis when the trans started making noises. We pulled off an exit and the only gas station there was closed. So we drove to the next exit. Fluid was leaking from the clutch side of the trans. We bought a couple bottles of the thickest stuff we could find (lucas oil stabilizer) and filled it up. We couldn't drive over 50mph or all the fluid would cause the clutch to slip. We made out from through St. Louis down towards Branson via Springfield. Stopping every 30 minutes or so to refill the trans. If you've ever been in this part of Missouri, you know it is rolling hills. We crawled up the hills on the shoulder at around 10-15mph and gained as much speed as we could on the downhills without the clutch slipping.

Made it to my grandparents house and pulled the trans. IGB had backed out, bounced off the Action 1MS pressure plate and went through the clutch housing. JB welded the holes in the clutch housing and cleaned the clutch the best we could. Took off a couple days later. 45 minutes away on Arkansas backroads the trans made a noise. We pulled over and by the time we were looking under the car, all the trans fluid had drained out of a new hole. We drove back with the trans dry. Tore it apart and found the IGB. Ordered a new Action 1MD clutch kit and had to pay $550 for a Y8 trans from a junkyard in Oklahoma. They shipped it the wrong way so it took an extra week to get. So we missed 2 weeks of work when it was supposed to be a 2 day trip, I paid $550 for a Y8 trans, destroyed a year old Action 1MS clutch and pressure plate and managed not to get fired (either of us).
Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you Aquafina for that detailed post. Sorry to hear your story though. Sounds like you had one heck of a trip.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:06 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (jonathan92591)

Sounds like a fun trip

There is tons of information out there- I don't feel this is the thread to go into detail with.... BUT:

-many gears are interchangeable to make a nice custom set
-Use a long flathead to pry the countershaft 2nd bearing into the snap ring upon assembly
-Can use a stubby socket under the fill bolt(then tighten the fill bolt), to loosen the case, along with a small pry bar
-ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS bench shift your transmission before installation
-Use the right tools and don't bang/over press the bearings on- this can distort the shafts
-Do not pound on the gears- they are strong, but brittle