Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

stupid axles!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid axles!!

whats up guys. just seeing if anyone can recommend a good set of axles i can use. but heres the issue...

1. my car makes over 300 whp but im building an engine and plan to put down around 500whp.

2. i built a transmission for it that likes to eat axles for breakfast lol

and 3. seeing as how im building an engine my funds are low. plus i think paying $600 for a set of axles is stupid.

so if anyone knows of a good set that wont break EVERY SINGLE TIME I LAUNCH, then please let me know!
Old 04-04-2012, 04:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: stupid axles!!

When you're breaking axles every time you launch at 300hp it's called not knowing how to launch.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Preload, type of tire, how low your car is, type of clutch, suspension, worn Bushings. Take a look into some of these.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

trust me guys its none of these issues. im using oem replacements from advance auto. i know how to drive...
Old 04-06-2012, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
When you're breaking axles every time you launch at 300hp it's called not knowing how to launch.

Originally Posted by 95lsturbo
trust me guys its none of these issues. im using oem replacements from advance auto. i know how to drive...
physics says no.

either you aren't preloading, you're getting wheel hop or some sort of additional stress from some component/angle in your suspension, or you're doing the ricer-bang 1st-2nd change (i doubt that switch would even break an axle with that little power)

another consideration beyond what mr johnson said is your clutch. a solid disk clutch and a pressure plate with clamping forces capable of causing nuclear fusion can greatly contribute to this type of problem which is still ultimately driver error. but at 300whp you should never have to worry about factory axles if you're getting off the line properly and staying hooked. simply put, if axles were that weak, you'd likely be able to pop one dumping the clutch at redline in a stock gsr. not sure that would've made for a great selling point..
Old 04-06-2012, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There is an issue. I launch my car making 650 HP on stock axles and drag radials on the street all the time. post some more info and pics of your setup.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im launching and breaking them only at the track. otherwise they do fine. i have omni drag coilovers and its NOT ****** *** stance nation style. all bushings are new. i do preload. i think the problem is that im building roughly 15psi with launch control and around 5ft from the line the axles seem to just twist due to the axles being so weak. ill post a pic of some damage. its quite impressive actually. i usually use about a 25in tall slick on a 15 in wheel. i have traction bars so i never have wheel hop. i didnt use to break axles with the oem open diff. but as soon as i built my trans they couldnt handle anything at the track.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im launching and breaking them only at the track. otherwise they do fine. i have omni drag coilovers and its NOT ****** *** stance nation style. all bushings are new. i do preload. i think the problem is that im building roughly 15psi with launch control and around 5ft from the line the axles seem to just twist due to the axles being so weak. ill post a pic of some damage. its quite impressive actually. i usually use about a 25in tall slick on a 15 in wheel. i have traction bars so i never have wheel hop. i didnt use to break axles with the oem open diff. but as soon as i built my trans they couldnt handle anything at the track.
there is a lot of contradictory stuff going on here..

running only 300hp, using a tall tire to diminish your acceleration, but trying to get off the line THAT hard..

it never broke axles with an open diff because it'd slip one of the wheels. i'm guessing you went helical which is going to deliver power to the wheel that grips the hardest, and breaks the weakest link between the crank and that iron wall of grip and mechanical disadvantage you have bolted to your hubs.

i'd be willing to put money on a faster trap speed and a lower time using a sticky street tire more in the 23" range.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyMagic
there is a lot of contradictory stuff going on here..

running only 300hp, using a tall tire to diminish your acceleration, but trying to get off the line THAT hard..

it never broke axles with an open diff because it'd slip one of the wheels. i'm guessing you went helical which is going to deliver power to the wheel that grips the hardest, and breaks the weakest link between the crank and that iron wall of grip and mechanical disadvantage you have bolted to your hubs.

i'd be willing to put money on a faster trap speed and a lower time using a sticky street tire more in the 23" range.
ive used a smaller tire. i cant do that because i have to go into 5th gear and it just slows me down way to much. and i still broke an axle on those as well. the whole point of this thread was to see if anyone knew of an aftermarket brand of axles that had good prices. not to try and figure out why im breaking them haha. point is, im breaking axles. and i need something that wont break.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you think paying $600 for axles is stupid, don't aim for 500whp then. How much did you spend on your engine?

A "build" isn't about the individual components, but about everything working together as a package. There is no point spending thousands (I'm guessing you will be spending most of your money on the engine) building the engine when the rest of the "package" is not up to scratch.

Budget your build, and when I say budget, I mean account for "everything" as a package that works together, not just your engine.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the whole point of this thread was to see if anyone knew of an aftermarket brand of axles that had good prices.
ah, well then no. i know a couple people who ran gator axles when i lived in florida. but i never ran them myself so i can't say much about them. just google and make some phone calls. good luck.

and if you feel like you're being raped, call a honda dealership and get a price on a new axle.. might make you feel a little better. that's the best advice i can offer.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Seagull Management

MFactory makes a really good point. I can't tell you how many people I've seen dump thousands into an engine and then go out and buy a shitty clutch, stock axles and stock non-LSD tranny and complain about all the driveline failures and wheelspin they have. All that power means nothing if you can't reliably put it to the ground.

DSS, Hasport, Raxles, and Gator all make aftermarket axles. I've heard a lot of good things about DSS and Raxles. Heard some negative comments about Gator and never really heard anything about Hasport one way or the other. Never personally ran any of them.

Again though, I still think it's driver error more so than metal fatigue. If it was only happening occasionally I might agree with you.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

336hp and 297tq 25" m&h stock tranny with mfactory lsd never broke a stock axle. you have a problem.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you guys are all jackasses. this is why i absolutely cant stand the " honda scene". every single one of you people are exactly the same.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Seagull Management

you guys are all jackasses. this is why i absolutely cant stand the " honda scene". every single one of you people are exactly the same.
Why? Because you didn't get the answer you wanted to hear? I'm not sure if you noticed or not but I actually did mention some axle manufacturers to you:

Originally Posted by 94EG8
DSS, Hasport, Raxles, and Gator all make aftermarket axles. I've heard a lot of good things about DSS and Raxles. Heard some negative comments about Gator and never really heard anything about Hasport one way or the other. Never personally ran any of them.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:01 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How slammed is your car? Too much "hella flush" low and cambered means axles die with ease.

I'm sorry you didn't get the wrong answer you wanted hear. You sound like the typical hardheaded "Mustang/Camaro" driver.

A few of us here have been around for decades. My first 1/2 was with RWD V8's the second 1/2 with FWD Honda's and still mixing in a little V8 tweaking.

I blur what you call the scene.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

people in the honda scene? i own a 1946 dodge with a bb440 and ford 9". your just not very bright

so dont be dumb and suck and everything you have done to your car. is your car low? and what mounts do you have? jesus.
Old 04-25-2012, 07:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MFactory
If you think paying $600 for axles is stupid, don't aim for 500whp then. How much did you spend on your engine?

A "build" isn't about the individual components, but about everything working together as a package. There is no point spending thousands (I'm guessing you will be spending most of your money on the engine) building the engine when the rest of the "package" is not up to scratch.

Budget your build, and when I say budget, I mean account for "everything" as a package that works together, not just your engine.

Well said!!