Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Short Geared YS1 worth the rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Geared YS1 worth the rebuild?

Have a jdm b16a with a ys1 cable transmission off of a b17. Seems to be a great, short geared all motor transmission for my car. However, third gear has a bad grind, and 2nd is starting to do the same. Also, I recently got a cel for my VSS, and my speedo is out. Is this transmission worth doing the work to fix up, or should I replace it with another cable transmission, or possibly upgrade to hydro?
Old 09-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Short Geared YS1 worth the rebuild?

Yea the b17 gsr is a good tranny. I would rebuild it in a heartbeat. You really need to open it up and see what all is wrong. Transmissions rebuilds can get expensive quickly, especially when you have to start replacing sleeves, hubs, and gears. Look at the dog teeth on 2nd and 3rd too. You want house shaped teeth, not rounded off corners. If all of your bearings look ok, you may be able to get away with just a 1-5 synchro/spring set and maybe just replacing the 3-4 sleeve. That's about $250-$300 just for those parts.

As for the VSS, I doubt that's a problem with the tranny. Sounds like your speedometer cable came loose.
Old 09-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent. Will probably drop it out soon and take a look whenever I have the funds. I've never done transmission work, but just like everything else I've learned how to do, I've gotta start somewhere.

Also, I've checked the speedo cable and its firmly connected on both sides. Maybe the cable is broken? And would a problem with the cable cause the VSS to throw a check engine light? This is the last cel I have and emissions needs to be passed asap before I get pulled over and impounded for driving with no tag!

Thanks for all the help
Old 09-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yea if the speedo cable comes unplugged it will throw a cel. It could be the vss. Change it out and see what happens.

The b17 tranny is awesome. Basically an itr without LSD. Its not too bad to rebuild. I just successfully rebuilt mine and it was my first time. Definitely follow the tutorial on here and a helms helps with knowing which way some of the hubs and sleeves go on.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The YS1 is a POS! You should just sell it to me.. JK..

This a is by far the best transmission for the DA/EF chassis for a NA build!
The short gears and the simple fact that this transmission case can recieve the gears from the new hydro transmissions is what makes this a bad *** transmission. It is pretty much a hydro transmission that is cable controlled. Mix and Match for the best gear set!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by JDM_rolex
The YS1 is a POS! You should just sell it to me.. JK..

This a is by far the best transmission for the DA/EF chassis for a NA build!
The short gears and the simple fact that this transmission case can recieve the gears from the new hydro transmissions is what makes this a bad *** transmission. It is pretty much a hydro transmission that is cable controlled. Mix and Match for the best gear set!
Old 09-20-2013, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Excellent, thank you for all the help!