Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question regarding integra ls automatic

Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 question regarding integra ls automatic

first of all, please bear with me as I'm very new to building or modifying cars. I have a car that was given tot me in high school by my late father, the only problem is that it's an automatic transmission. I know the vehicle itself is basically worth nothing, but it does have a lot of sentimental value. I don't want to convert it to manual (seems very expensive) I was told that having the transmission rebuilt would allow it to hold more power, therefore enable me to modify the engine to make it perform better. I'm wondering if there's any truth to that? I don't the car to magically jump from 140 horsepower to 500 or anything like that, I'm mainly interested in bumping it up to 190-200 horsepower if possible. (The car is a 1998 Acura Integra LS Non-VTEC). So, would having the transmission rebuilt really allow horsepower gains through more mods? or should i just keep it factory stock?
Old 03-14-2019, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: question regarding integra ls automatic

There is no aftermarket performance modification that I know of anymore for the honda/acura auto trans. There use to be a few companies that offered a "shift kit" and torque converter but these weren't flying off the shelves. Therefore, they were discontinued as far as I know. It's expensive to get 200 horsepower in naturally aspirated form. More expensive than a manual transmission swap. You are better off throwing on the traditional bolt-ons (intake, header, exhaust) and call it a day. The car will still run and drive fine and you may find an additional 10-15 horsepower and better throttle response from the car. The transmission will have no problems supporting these modifications if it's in good shape.

If you wanted to just spend money to say you did.......
You could swap in a B18C GSR engine or put a GSR (P72) or B16 (PR3) cylinder head and P72 intake manifold (If using stock Jdm gsr auto ecu) on the B18B1 bottom end and run a JDM GSR auto ecu. Your integra has an external TCM that controls the LS transmission. The JDM GSR auto does not. There was a guy doing the conversion harness for this ordeal years ago and he still may be doing these. JKOBD.com. This could potentially make 160-180 horsepower.
You could also run a OBD1 auto ecu from HAmotorsports with netpune/demon board and this would get you close to your 190-200 horsepower goal......

But, there is a small chance any of that will happen but I just wanted to let you as well as others, it's possible.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 06-12-2019, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Before you do anything you need to ask yourself these few questions.
1. What is your budget.
2. Do you have SMOG/Emission.
3. How much resource have you done or do you have like wiring, tuning, etc.

I have done a fully built LS/VTEC Automatic (JDM SIR-G S4XA) w/JDM OBD1 chipped P30 AT ECU in a OBD2a Automatic Integra since 2009 (back then there were no Automatic wiring jumper harness). Now I'm trying to figure out how I can get Hondata to work with the external OBD2a TCM.

As for Neptune/Moates Demon 1 there are NO longer in production for JDM ECU. I have contacted Moates last week and they inform me they may have a newer version for the JDM ECU in the future but not anytime soon.

1994-1995 Acura Integra Automatic OBD1 does work with Hondata.

OBD2a Civic Automatic does work with Hondata by using duel ECU.

Also there are Levelten and few others that can build up your auto transmission and torque converter.