Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Help! 5th gear cuff issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help! 5th gear cuff issues

I'm running a s80. Recently tore down both main and countershaft to replace synchros,sleeves and hubs and to install a bwr cuff. Reassembly of both shafts went fine, got everything else in went to test close both casings, and it'll leave about a 1/2-3/4" gap. I tried time n time again adjusting the tab on the big main shafts washer to make sure it's clocked right and still having issues. Maybe the cuff is hitting? I can't tell, any wrote ups on shaving the casing for cuffs? Also, with a cuff installed should 4th gear on the mainshaft be able to move up and down a tad? Mine does, not very knowledgeable on the inner working of transmissions, wondering if that little bit of movement is normal or will I have issues with 4th not staying in gear or catastrophic failure or something. Any advice help with the install of a bwr cuff greatly appreciated! Ready to get my hatch back on the road
Old 06-21-2016, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Help! 5th gear cuff issues

Go in-and-out with the shift rod a few times and see if the case closes further. Don't be shy about it. Put a screw driver or 12mm bolt in the hole of the shift rod and push in and out all the way. If this does not help, do not force the cases together. Take a few detailed photos of your gear sets and post them up. You may have a reassembly error.

Include photos of the top bearing and the tabbed washer (from a few different camera angles). I want to see the position of the bearing in relation to the end of the shaft.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spiff671
Go in-and-out with the shift rod a few times and see if the case closes further. Don't be shy about it. Put a screw driver or 12mm bolt in the hole of the shift rod and push in and out all the way. If this does not help, do not force the cases together. Take a few detailed photos of your gear sets and post them up. You may have a reassembly error.

Include photos of the top bearing and the tabbed washer (from a few different camera angles). I want to see the position of the bearing in relation to the end of the shaft.
tried working the shift rod, no luck. just took some pics of everything, about to post them now
Old 06-21-2016, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pics
Attached Images            
Old 06-21-2016, 10:30 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Do you see any red grease marks on the cover? Wipe off grease from the cuff, wipe the same area as where the cuff is suppose to sit inside the cover, place some white paint, grease of dif color, and try to fit the cover back on. You should be able to pinpoint whether the cuff is hitting the case or not.
Old 06-22-2016, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i figured it out with some help on FB. The washer that comes with the cuff i had on the bottom side of the cuff on the counter shaft, i took it apart and installed the washer on the top side, re assembled everything, and it worked. case closed, already prepperd, primed and painted. re installing tranny today, hopefully it doesn't blow up or something.
Attached Images    
Old 06-22-2016, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if u go back and look at the previous pics, u can see how much of a gap there was from the cuff and 4th gear, after swapping the washer to the top side, hardly any gap... that was the problem... im a noob with diggin into these transmissions, and the cuff came with zero instruction, so i did what i could. happy to have gotten it right, was getting a bit frustrated. i went with carbon pro series synchros from synchrotech along with a new 3rd gear hub and 1-2 sleeve and 3-4 sleeve, 3rd was scratching prior to tearin it down. and i saw why. oem synchros were in pretty bad shape, 3rd lost its spring completely and 3-4 sleeve and 3rd gear hub was also tore up pretty bad, so i look forward to seeing how it feels once its back on the car. : )
Old 06-27-2016, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job figuring it out! Sorry I didn't get back to you right away.. I forgot to subscribe to the thread.

Right off the bat, from your first few photos I could see that the bearing was not seated all the way onto the main shaft -- a sure sign that something was out of order with the assembly.

Oh well, good luck with the build and keep us posted on how the transmission performs!
Old 07-02-2016, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tranny feels great! I have noticed I still get 3rd gear grind tho at 9k shifts. if I double clutch, no grind. gonna baby it for a few hundred miles, drain the half honda mtf, half penzoil syncromesh setup, and run half torco rtf, half honda mtf and see if that helps... that's what synchrotech recommended