Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Gearing questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gearing questions.....

First off I would like to know what exactly the Final Drive does in the transmission in reguards to your gearing. For instance, if I were to have a B-series LS tranny with a B16 F/D of 4.40 what would that change? The overall speed that I would be able to do in any given gear? Would it make all the gears shorter?

One of those confusing things to me.

In the future I'd like to have a custom 1/4 mile/highway tranny put together, something like a B16/ITR/GSR trans with a LS 5th for lower RPM's on the highway but I'm wondering what diff to run or what it dicates.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Nick.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Gearing questions..... (one bad dx)

The final drive in a FF car is the same as the ring and pinion in a rwd vehicle.

RPM drop between shifts will not change, but engine speed will increase faster than previously compared to vehicle speed.

Going from a 4.26 to a 4.4 won't be TOO big of a difference, but it will be slightly noticeable.

Skip forward to bypass my ugly mug...yes the vid is horrible, it was made very quickly

http://www.juicedfilms.com/dum...1.wmv
Old 08-17-2008, 04:24 AM

Default Re: Gearing questions..... (Evs-One)

I'll have to check it out when I'm not at work........no sound/vid cards=Teh suxerz!

So all in all it would be better to just have an LS 5th gear put into a B-series Vtec tranny and possibly the F/D to have fun in the first 4 gears and get decent mpgs on the highway/cruising speeds? Second question, How much (roughly) would it cost to have an LS 5th gear set and F/D installed on a different tranny?
Old 08-17-2008, 06:32 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

all shops are different. Swapping custom FD's and gear sets with all the proper clearance measuring and new crush washers, etc, usually runs between 2 and 300 with the tranny out of the car
Old 08-17-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by one bad dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'll have to check it out when I'm not at work........no sound/vid cards=Teh suxerz!

So all in all it would be better to just have an LS 5th gear put into a B-series Vtec tranny and possibly the F/D to have fun in the first 4 gears and get decent mpgs on the highway/cruising speeds? Second question, How much (roughly) would it cost to have an LS 5th gear set and F/D installed on a different tranny?</TD></TR></TABLE>That would be your best bet, and yes the final drive will effect top speed in all gears. The final drive ring gear is attatched to the diferential, so think of it as the last "gear". All the other actual gears run through its ratio.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:08 AM

Default Re: Gearing questions..... (blkb18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blkb18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That would be your best bet, and yes the final drive will effect top speed in all gears. The final drive ring gear is attatched to the diferential, so think of it as the last "gear". All the other actual gears run through its ratio.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not too bad at all considering. Thank you for the help

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blkb18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That would be your best bet, and yes the final drive will effect top speed in all gears. The final drive ring gear is attatched to the diferential, so think of it as the last "gear". All the other actual gears run through its ratio.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The way you explained that makes alot of sense now, I always knew that the F/D was like a gear but did not understand how it could be due to the fact that we never shift into it. But that makes alot of sense now