Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Gear-X 1-4th K series Mainshaft thickness

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 12:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear-X 1-4th K series Mainshaft thickness

Hey guys, I have a question for you transmission experts.

My car's a 2014 Civic Si. I swapped the Gear-x 1-4th gears over when my car had 23K miles, my car currently has 38K miles. I broke my stock LSD last week and I'm currently swapping in a Wavetrac lsd. I was measuring the clearances of everything, and found that the mainshaft has no thrust, and also the LSD bearings have less than 1 thousandths of play if at all.

I did notice that the mainshaft was very hard to pull out initially, and it seemed to get stuck onto the bearing. The bearing ended up popping out of the case along with the shaft. I removed the bearing on my press, and only had to press a few millimeters before it freed itself. I ran my fingers across and found a high spot (not sure why). I wrapped some 600 grit sandpaper around it and rotated the shaft to sand it down evenly, followed by some 1500 grit sandpaper and then some polishing compound. The bearing now slides on with just a little bit of force.

I looked back at my manual and found the specs and service limit for the bearing spot (Point D in the diagram below). I'm going to borrow a Micrometer from a friend tomorrow and measure the thickness, but would it be the end of the world if it were a tad bit smaller like maybe 0.5 thou smaller than the service limit? Would I need to buy a new mainshaft? I tried putting the mainshaft in the case by itself, and it sits snug in the bearing with no noticeable play when I push on the shaft from side to side. I just want some opinions from more experienced people since I'm not an expert on transmission work and all that.

Thanks in advanced!
Mark
Old 11-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Gear-X 1-4th K series Mainshaft thickness

If its at the service limit it needs to be replaced. A tight fit is good as you don't want the shaft spinning inside of the bearing. Too tight is bad.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Gear-X 1-4th K series Mainshaft thickness

Originally Posted by Aquafina
If its at the service limit it needs to be replaced. A tight fit is good as you don't want the shaft spinning inside of the bearing. Too tight is bad.
Thanks, that's just what I wanted to hear. I measured it earlier today, and found that it's actually around 1 thou over the max standard, so I guess I'll just leave it at that and it should be fine since it's still over after I removed some material