Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

diff. bearing going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diff. bearing going bad?

ive had a vibration issue in my car lately, it was pretty bad but most of it was due to a bad inner LCA bushing passenger side. I fixed that, my car has new axles both sides. I jacked up my car and shook both side axles and the passenger side inner cv where it meets the tranny wobbles back and forth a little bit, so i took the axle off and felt inside the tranny where the axle goes in, the part in the diff. that has splines where the axle rides i can wiggle it up and down with my finger its not horrible but it does have some play. Im pretty sure this means my differential bearing is starting to go bad but would like some input. i tried searching but with no luck. I also broke an axle on the same side a few months ago hence the reason why i have new axles. thanks in advance.

also, it doesnt make any humming or clunking noises when driving.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: diff. bearing going bad?

58 views and no responses? does anyone know anything about trannies around here???
Old 05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AllmotorGSReg
ive had a vibration issue in my car lately, it was pretty bad but most of it was due to a bad inner LCA bushing passenger side. I fixed that, my car has new axles both sides. I jacked up my car and shook both side axles and the passenger side inner cv where it meets the tranny wobbles back and forth a little bit, so i took the axle off and felt inside the tranny where the axle goes in, the part in the diff. that has splines where the axle rides i can wiggle it up and down with my finger its not horrible but it does have some play. Im pretty sure this means my differential bearing is starting to go bad but would like some input. i tried searching but with no luck. I also broke an axle on the same side a few months ago hence the reason why i have new axles. thanks in advance.

also, it doesnt make any humming or clunking noises when driving.
Do the new axles have the rubber dampener on them like that factory axles? Did you ever drain the transmission fluid to see if there are any metal shavings in it?
Old 05-11-2010, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont recall seeing any metal shavings, and i know its not the axles they are brand new axles not remans, and i actually exchanged the pass. side cause i thought it was defective but its not axles are good.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you give a more acurate description when it happens? turns? decel? accel? regular driving? etc
Old 05-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

happens during acceleration it happens worse when going uphill basically whenever theres a load on it, sometimes it does it going down hill too on decel. i checked the oil pan i drained my tranny in now that i look at it there was some metal shavings in the bottom of the pan i drained the oil in. looks like i probably gotta get another tranny shitty
Old 05-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i 100 percent sure its the axles. there is suppose to be play at the axles. the differential would have to move alot and im sure it would knock and clank around.

your moving the inner part of the spider gears. but the diff itself isnt moving.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

There is a large magnet in the tranny bottom. that traps all ferous metals, You are not likely to find any in your drained oil, maybe aluminum and brass. Check your tire ballance weights, sometimes they come off. Also might be a bad CV. There are 4.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ramco
There is a large magnet in the tranny bottom. that traps all ferous metals, You are not likely to find any in your drained oil, maybe aluminum and brass. Check your tire ballance weights, sometimes they come off. Also might be a bad CV. There are 4.
i dont think thats the problem. i also have the same problen my car shakes BAD during second gear mostly. it didnt shake before i changed the axles but it knocked under load after new autozone axles the knock was gone but the vibrations started wtff! lol

oh and the balancing weight is not the problem cause the shaking would occur with or without load and i swapped wheels and the shake was still the same
Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its the axles, aftermarket ones dont have the dynamic dampers. nor is their quality control any better. i had a set of napas that vibrated going into second and til around 5k, i swapped them with a set of 93 gsr stock axles(used oem) all problems went away.

the round inboard joint remanned axles are by far the worst.