Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

D series 5 speed specs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D series 5 speed specs

Anybody know how much "end play" the input shaft on a P20 B000 should have?
I just bought one off a CL guy that promised "no pops or grinds" but I'm a bit apprehensive about the axis play in the input shaft. it moved back and forth about .08".
I installed a new clutch in my DS two years ago but don't remember if this is normal.
P.S. my tranny had been input shaft "complaining" for awhile but it finally just started jumping out of 3rd and not engaging 1st. doesn't seem the symptoms should be related, shifting fork issue maybe?
Old 07-21-2013, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: D series 5 speed specs

You can't properly check end play with the transmission fully assembled. If you mean the shaft wiggled around, then a bearing needs to be replaced. Your issues could be ISB related, or sleeve assembly related.
Old 07-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it definitely wiggles around but also back and forth. thats what I thought end play wad.
thx
Old 07-22-2013, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

End play has to be checked with only the mainshaft in the trans, and no gears on the shaft. Your trans just has one or possibly both of the mainshaft bearings that need to be replaced, then you can check the end play.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

update;
So i wasn't ok with the play in my bought replacement tranny. I disassembled them both and here are the bearings that came out of them...****!!!
my original is in pieces but the replacement is just a bit behind.
http://mob1255.photobucket.com/album...g?t=1376281590
Shifting forks-all good
http://m1255.photobucket.com/albumvi...K8OXl4vzar4%3D

Last edited by rayinsd; 08-11-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Found out the hard way, the "insert img" button that asks for an URL doesn't work very well. If you want to post the image right in your post you have to "manage attachments" from your attachment list you can put the image anywhere in your post.

Hope this helps. And good luck with your EX/SI tranny. I'll be looking for one of those myself. Hopefully one without blown bearings. Hope the rest of the internals are still good.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

better image?
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

here we go..The rest of the internals look surprisingly good. Now I'll have two..
Thx TomCat//
Attached Images  

Last edited by rayinsd; 08-11-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: add info
Old 08-12-2013, 06:27 AM
Hysterically Calm

Question for ya... Did you break the bearings getting them out or were the cages and the one inner race already toast?

If already toast, how loud was your tranny when running?

Mine has gotten fairly audible but not screaming and it chirps a little upon initial clutch engagement. If it's talking when driving, I don't hear it over my exhaust.

Just wondering being I have two or three more days I have to drive to and from work before my friends are available to help me swap the trannies (assuming I get the replacement back together properly tonight).

My first experience with an ISB problem so I don't know how loud is loud. It's not shrieking yet, scared of when it does though.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The bearings were just as you see them at disassembly. Mine was something like you described and I ran it longer than I wanted to, my daughters car blew an engine unexpectedly and that put me behind a couple of weeks. It was "growling" under load but not with the clutch disengaged- makes sense. When it finally gave up, it became impossible to get into 1st. luckily I was two blocks from home.
Depending on how long it's been goin on with you, I'd prolly chance it- but you may end up with what I did. I'll never let it go that far again..
Good luck!

Last edited by rayinsd; 08-12-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-13-2013, 01:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure you measure the shift forks. Most 88-95 transmissions have at least one that is past the service limit.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by rayinsd
The bearings were just as you see them at disassembly. Mine was something like you described and I ran it longer than I wanted to, my daughters car blew an engine unexpectedly and that put me behind a couple of weeks. It was "growling" under load but not with the clutch disengaged- makes sense. When it finally gave up, it became impossible to get into 1st. luckily I was two blocks from home.
Depending on how long it's been goin on with you, I'd prolly chance it- but you may end up with what I did. I'll never let it go that far again..
Good luck!
Thanks, I think I am near or over that already. Definitely had to drive it farther than I wanted it before swapping out the tranny, which is happening tonight after work. I believe my hack job on the replacement tranny will hold me for quite awhile and let me do a true rebuild on my CX tranny (unheard of I know but I like the fuel economy).

Good luck on yours.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 AM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by Aquafina
Make sure you measure the shift forks. Most 88-95 transmissions have at least one that is past the service limit.
Hey Aquafina, do you know off hand what the symptoms are for worn shift fork(s) past service limit are?

Would like to know what to look out for being I tossed in an even older tranny into my car for a short term fix and everything else on the tranny seemed to be pretty good.

Actually nevermind, just had to think about it a bit. If the circumference is too large it will slipp off the sleeve altogether preventing shifting into whatever gears the shift fork controls. If the width is too thin it won't pull the sleeve completely over the synco-dog teeth set possibly causing grinding and popping out of gear.

Silly me just has to think about it a bit to answer my own question.

Cheers

Last edited by TomCat39; 08-15-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thx. I'll make it a point to
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thx. I will make it a point to
Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Aquafina, you were right on all counts, I only had good parts to put together one good tranny, Used the best pair of shift forks, reverse and countershaft of the two. All back together and in. I did all this while replacing the core support and abouta foot and a half of frame beams (see my other thread). Everything's cool except 1st gear doesnt want to engage, the shifter kinda doesnt travel as far as 3rd and 5th position and it'll grind so im stayin off it till i get answers. you think maybe the synchros need to loosen up a bit after being out and blown clean maybe?
Attached Images    
Old 09-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Without know exactly what parts you used and clearances of those parts I can't say. The synchro/gear cone should have been lubricated when assembled.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well... the devil's in the details.
Found my problem. After tranny repair i could not get into 1st and reverse was just barely catching it felt like. After checking all linkages with no luck and couldn't get the shifter to engage fully even manually. Only one thing left to do- pull the tranny again..crap!!
We thought we'd cleaned all the debris from the busted bearing when we did the repair but somehow missed a piece of bearing cage that became lodged in the shifting fork action and would not let it slide fully into position. all better now but no fun doing it twice. its all good at least i found it.
Attached Images