Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Buy a new(er) low mileage one? or rebuild the one I got?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buy a new(er) low mileage one? or rebuild the one I got?

Alright guys I've got a 92 Prelude with an Automatic. I thought the automatic would serve me better as a DD and that someday when I could afford what I wanted to do with it I'd swap a 5spd into it. But its driving me insane not being able to row my own gears.

I've been able to source not just an M2S4 5spd but all the parts I'll need to do the conversion on top of the transmission. I'm getting it for about the same price as the conversion parts alone thus making the transmission basically free.

The only thing is its got 150k miles on it, its gonna need to be rebuilt. My car currently has 93k miles on it and i'm worried about the longevity of the automatic at this point not to mention that I miss having a stick in my DD.

Long story short, could a rebuilt M2S4 tranny with 150k original miles on it be every bit as reliable as a newer (lower mileage) tranny?

I was going to try to find an M2B4 (w/LSD) tranny when I did my H22 swap but i'm getting this one for so cheap, I'm thinking of doing an aftermarket LSD with it when I rebuild it.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Buy a new(er) low mileage one? or rebuild the one I got? (starbai)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by starbai &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright guys I've got a 92 Prelude with an Automatic. I thought the automatic would serve me better as a DD and that someday when I could afford what I wanted to do with it I'd swap a 5spd into it. But its driving me insane not being able to row my own gears.

I've been able to source not just an M2S4 5spd but all the parts I'll need to do the conversion on top of the transmission. I'm getting it for about the same price as the conversion parts alone thus making the transmission basically free.

The only thing is its got 150k miles on it, its gonna need to be rebuilt. My car currently has 93k miles on it and i'm worried about the longevity of the automatic at this point not to mention that I miss having a stick in my DD.

Long story short, could a rebuilt M2S4 tranny with 150k original miles on it be every bit as reliable as a newer (lower mileage) tranny?

Yes it can. You would have to change all the bearings, double-triple check the gears and synchros of any wear and damage (Replace if needed). It is going to take time, patiences and some money of course.

I was going to try to find an M2B4 (w/LSD) tranny when I did my H22 swap but i'm getting this one for so cheap, I'm thinking of doing an aftermarket LSD with it when I rebuild it.

You might be able to source out a tranny with LSD for cheaper then rebuilding one if you can find one in good/great condition. But it all matters on what needs to be rebuilt on the tranny that you can get for cheap. If you have time and some extra cash, might as well go and rebuild the tranny. Good luck whatever you do. Just remember, dont rush into anything when your rebuilding, trust me, I have been there.

Ooh, forgot, there is always the option I believe of going H2B rather then getting the M2B4 tranny. If that is, there is plenty of articles about that in the search engine.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

i'd say rebuild it
Old 09-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Bense)

the reason i told you this in the prelude forum is because ive done it before. i have a 5th gen that used to be automatic. i swapped in everything and after only a few hundred miles i completely lost 2nd gear, then i had to pay a transmission shop way too much money to fix it. better be safe than sorry. just last month i bought an m2a4 trans (jdm non lsd) for 500 shipped from a member of HT, and it only has 55k on it. im not sure how much you got yours for, but thats a pretty good price IMO. atleast have someone take a look at the one you have now before you install it.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i plan on having it opened and completely rebuilt professionally before its installed int he car.

I can do a lotta things but I dont think i can tackle a transmission rebuild and install myself.

so it'll get done by someoen with some experience.

it'd be a good chance to upgrade things too. nice new synchros maybe a final drive swap etc...

i wouldn't just throw in whatever I get