Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

Bad CV Shaft causing hard knock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad CV Shaft causing hard knock?

Hello, recently I noticed a single hard knock when accelerating around right hand turns from a stop. It is one hard thump and the car feels like it hops or skips.

I know a bad CV joint will have a consistant light to medium knocking, but is it possible for it to completely lock up and cause the knock/shake I feel?

I haven't had time to jack up the front end and check the ball joints, bushings or wheel bearings. None of the axle boots are torn, but the shafts do have about 5mm of play (can be twisted and pulled) where they connect to the trans and intermediate shaft.

I know its hard to diagnose these noises online, but is it safe to say my CV Shafts probably need to be replaced?

Last edited by CHANCELLOR12; 09-07-2016 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Spelling/Grammar
Old 09-09-2016, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Bad CV Shaft causing hard knock?

You recently noticed this issue? Lets start with that. When was the last time this did NOT happen? Also, what was the last thing you did to the car prior to this noise occurring. This reminds me of dis-located CV joints being "magically" fixed from within the boot with some twisting.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slowcivic2k
You recently noticed this issue? Lets start with that. When was the last time this did NOT happen? Also, what was the last thing you did to the car prior to this noise occurring. This reminds me of dis-located CV joints being "magically" fixed from within the boot with some twisting.
It started about 3 or 4 days ago after I did a burnout.
EDIT: After driving the car again, the knock sound happend when pulling away from a stoplight and going straight.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would hold the axle that has the excessive movement suspect. It could be differential side gear damage as well. In your situation I would remove the axle and remove the boots looking for signs of twisted splines or deformed metal.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:30 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over time the grease does deteriorate even if the boot doesn't tear and the clamp is still on tight and they will make a hard knock when turning. So yes it can happen, it's not always the click click click noise.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks alot for the help but I think I found the problem, I was looking in the wrong place. After taking the car for a drive again I noticed alot of black dirty oil splattered around the drivers side strut tower, I thought to myself thats way too black and gritty to be my engine oil... and there it was, the liquid filled rubber engine mount was soaked and ripped around the top causing the oil mess.

I ordered a new engine mount and will change it out when it comes in. Im hoping that should get rid of that noise.
I will report back with a conclusion.
Old 09-24-2016, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CHANCELLOR12
Thanks alot for the help but I think I found the problem, I was looking in the wrong place. After taking the car for a drive again I noticed alot of black dirty oil splattered around the drivers side strut tower, I thought to myself thats way too black and gritty to be my engine oil... and there it was, the liquid filled rubber engine mount was soaked and ripped around the top causing the oil mess.

I ordered a new engine mount and will change it out when it comes in. Im hoping that should get rid of that noise.
I will report back with a conclusion.
Please also reply with the year, make and model of the vehicle, and any modifications performed. This solution isn't of much help to the community unless there is some common ground. In your situation I would expect knocking on both the left and right sides while turning, as the engine torquing in its mounts will occur in the same direction, left or right turns.