Notices
Transmission & Drivetrain Gearboxes, Differentials, Clutches

95 gsr transmission has loud clicking when driving/accelerating constantly

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 gsr transmission has loud clicking when driving/accelerating constantly

I have a 95 integra ls with a gsr swap. I bought the car a couple weeks ago knowing it needed a driver side cv-axle and passenger side wheel bearing for $4000. it had no trans problems when i bought it or the first week of driving it.

So here is my issue the other day i took it to a shop and got the cv-axle replaced and wheel bearing with all Napa parts. And yes I know Napa parts are cheap and unreliable but that all i can afford at the moment as this is my daily driver. Well after it was fixed i drove it home all was fine, the next day going to school i started hearing a loud poping nosie coming from the front of the car. My first thought is that the cheap cv axles broke or i got a bad one. I take it to the shop to get them to check it out expecting it to be the cv-axle. He puts it on the lift with the front wheel off the ground and runs it through the gears. Well come to find out its coming from the trans, so he says. I dont get how the trans can be fine one day and the next day be making knocking nosies after replaceing a cv-axle.

It sounds like a roational clicking. It shifts normal and clutch feels the same when i bought it. The only time it doesnt click is when you let off the gas pedal and it still there but very faint. And it does it in all gears. As you go faster it get more constant and louder.

What could it be i tried changing the transmission fluid but no luck and i took the starter off to see if the flywheel was loose but it didnt move when shaking it with my hand. ANY HELP plz will be apreciated ahead of time if i left out something you guys need let me know.(yes i tried searching nothing came up with my same symptoms) THANKS
Old 10-05-2011, 03:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 95 gsr transmission has loud clicking when driving/accelerating constantly

Bump
Come on 70 veiw and not one person can help me? plz any suggestion you guys might have let me know
Thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 07:46 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 95 gsr transmission has loud clicking when driving/accelerating constantly

Could have had a bad/cheap axle bind and break something in the trans. The clicking sound could be a chipped tooth on the ring gear or countershaft. Or it could also be a bearing that is on its way out. Since you bought the vehicle with a previous issue, you don't know how long the car was driven with a bad axle and wheel bearing. The excessive vibrations may have caused the differential bearings to fail and could also be the source of the clicking sound. Its hard to say without seeing it firsthand. But those are a few suggestions. Good luck!

Double check the work that was done to ensure its not a source of the clicking sound.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok thanks i took it to a trans shop to day and im waitng for them to call me so i can go pick the car up and see whats causing the problems and take it from there. Any body else have any opinions it will be much aperciated

Thanks honda-tech