Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

Wideband Wiring Using Cruise Control Button

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon5 Wideband Wiring Using Cruise Control Button

Hey guys,

I recently installed a Grams Performance wide band gauge on my 1997 Integra (w/ 1998 dashboard and wiring). I used the existing wiring to the cruise control button on the dashboard for power and ground to the gauge itself. I couldn't seem to figure out the dimmer though, so the gauge stays on full power all the time. Does anyone know what the wiring should be? I tried using the Haynes manual but I couldn't get it figured out. Also, what ECU pin location do I use for the data log? Is it D10?

Thanks for the help,

Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: Wideband Wiring Using Cruise Control Button

You need to connect the backlight wires to the dimmer switch circuit.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So, do I splice the dimmer circuit into the power wire/ground and disregard the dimmer wire coming off the gauge completely or what?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DC4_Dad
So, do I splice the dimmer circuit into the power wire/ground and disregard the dimmer wire coming off the gauge completely or what?
Splicing into the Red/Blk wire and Red wire of the dimmer circuit will do the trick.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I have the power, ground, dimmer and the data log wire coming from the gauge. I'm going to hook the red/blk and the red wires to the power wire? And just ground the gauge to the normal ground. Leaving the dimmer wire and the data log wires unconnected?
Old 12-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, so I have the power, ground, dimmer and the data log wire coming from the gauge. I'm going to hook the red/blk and the red wires to the power wire? And just ground the gauge to the normal ground. Leaving the dimmer wire and the data log wires unconnected?
For the dimmer to work, the dimmer needs a separate ground from the gauge function. Did the gauge come with instructions and a circuit diagram?

One possibility is that the "dimmer" wire of the gauge connects to the Red wire of the dimmer circuit and that the power wire of the gauge uses any 12V \voltage from the ON(II) position of the ignition switch.
Old 12-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The dimmer switch does have a separate ground, as I spliced into the cruise control wires to ground/power the gauge.There are 5 wires that go to the button itself and there are 4 wires that go to the gauge which are the power, ground, dimmer and data log, like I mentioned before. I can get the gauge to power up fine and everything but when I adjust the dimmer, it doesn't change.

I should be able to ground the gauge with the existing ground wire to the cruise control button.

But as far as the power and dimmer wire, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I can post pictures later today if that will help.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The dimmer switch does have a separate ground, as I spliced into the cruise control wires to ground/power the gauge.There are 5 wires that go to the button itself and there are 4 wires that go to the gauge which are the power, ground, dimmer and data log, like I mentioned before. I can get the gauge to power up fine and everything but when I adjust the dimmer, it doesn't change.

I should be able to ground the gauge with the existing ground wire to the cruise control button.

But as far as the power and dimmer wire, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I can post pictures later today if that will help.
The gauge light must use the Red wire in the dimmer circuit diagram as the ground wire. The gauge light should use the Red/Blk wire in the dimmer circuit diagram as the power wire.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Red wire is going to ground, dimmer is going to red/blk wire and constant is going to blk/ylw.
Old 12-12-2018, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I said that weird, okay... so the ground wire from the gauge is going to the red wire, the power wire from the gauge is going to the blk/ylw and the dimmer wire from the gauge is going to the red/blk.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post pics of the gauge and its wires. Did the gauge come with instructions or a circuit diagram? If so, post them.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got it working! Thanks for all your help! Do you happen to know the pin-out on the ECU plug for the data log when using a Hondata?