Notices
Tech / Misc Tech topics that don't seem to go elsewhere.

What kind of tools do you guys use?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:30 PM
A08
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of tools do you guys use?

I will be starting school soon, and i have a rather lengthy list of tools to buy, was curious what brands of tools my fellow honda heads are using..?
Old 06-24-2009, 11:38 PM

Default Re: What kind of tools do you guys use?

i use matco,,,,and Ingersoll rand impacts and air ratchets,,,because they are the best,,get the Tnt on Ingersoll Rand
Old 06-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use Craftsman tools, primarily because I can't justify spending that much on Snap-On or Matco tools. I do have a Snap-On cordless impact that I love using however. Craftsman is good enough for me and what I need them for.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Craftsman, Sears is close so it's easy to get a replacement if we break one. I've found there torque wrench's hold calibration better then the snap-on ones at work.

If you get there air compressor, buy the black one, it's makes much less noise.

Ingersoll Rand does make nice air tools. You can buy them from places on line like Northern Tools and Harbor Fright.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Snap-on, and craftsman
Old 06-25-2009, 08:09 AM
Reject Papi

i use craftsman professional series, cause i like shiney! chicago pneumatic air tools.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:06 AM
New User

Craftsman. Can't beat unlimited lifetime replacement, especially with Sears right down the street.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:18 AM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you drop by sears on weekends, they usually have sales and markdowns on useful tools.. i bought a deep and short socket set 10mm-19 from sears for both 20 bucks, and it came with a little rack to hold the sockets
Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use my friend's snap-on stuff, we actually went to a snap-on truck yesterday and I have to hand it to them their air tools are pretty good. their impact thats the same size as the Ingersoll 450ft/lb boasts a rated 1190ft/lb
Old 07-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I LOVE Snap-On and Mac tools, But I am not a mechanic full time so it is hard to spend the money on snap-on and mac.

A friend of mine suggest a pretty good solution.

Air tools, Ratchets, swivels, and specialty tools buy the good stuff.

Sockets, impact and chromies, aren't just going to give up there ghost in a split second. In my experience you see them start to fail.

Also watch craigslist for used snap on and Mac stuff. I have seen some smoking deals for stuff on there.

the other day i was about 15 minutes late on purchasing around $8,000 worth of snap on tools and tool box for $1,500...
Old 07-01-2009, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

snap on, mac, and cornwell but I do this for a living. I started working at sears and got a hell of a deal, and it wasnt a hassle if you broke something to just walk to the store, but after a few years I realized the craftsman stuff was causing me more headaches then it was worth so I started buying nicer stuff. I have actually stripped nuts with craftsman and then used a snapon socket and it removed it. Those crhome sockets tend to bellshape and will start to round bolts off. It wasnt a waste though, I just brought all my craftsman stuff home and it works great for around the house stuff. I use IR for all my air tools, you cant beat em.

If your just starting out I would recommend craftsman and after youve been doing it a few years start to upgrade. That way if you decide this isnt the career for you, you havent wasted thousands of dollars.

If your just doing it as a hobby craftsman is the way to go

***EDIT- plus the chrome sockets can get stuck on your impact gun and fubar the socket retaining ring which is a total PITA....Also I used craftsman wrenches for a long time until I found a killer deal on ebay for some cornwell wrenches. I dont know how I went so long without them, It is unbelievable how much they cahrge for wrenches off the tool truck though. I still use craftsman shortys though, (not enough torque to round anything off)

Last edited by srmofo; 07-01-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

X 2 Srmofo Some of my friends who are enthusiasts but not pros I tell them buy craftsman/ Husky basics and Tool truck specialty. I own lots of craftsman tools that are great as backups. At work I need as few problems as possible.So the highest quality is necessary for the strength to uphold to nonstop use. Craftsman tools(chrome) just can't take non stop air tools. I use some of there wrenches becuase you can't beat the value and strength isn't nearly a factor. The professional stubbies are great, the mini metric set has saved me several times over the years,and for the $ you really can't beat their line wrenches. And although I own nice extensions, I use mostly stanley, husky,craftsman drive extensions. As far as air goes IR rules.